Class of 2016 - Top 25 Players in NYS | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Top 25 Players in NYS

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Okay, here is my top 25 players for NYS for 2016.

I am counting Morganstern as a NYS kid. He is from Wappingers Falls and is just prepping at St Luke's Prep, which is just over the border in Connecticut.

My guess is that NYS produces at least 15 D1 players this season. Unlike last year, not many top RBs, but a rare top notch QB prospect and last of guys with some size who can run. Lots of defensive linemen, which is good for SU as these positions are always hard to fill.

You want a couple of names to keep an eye on? I like Christian Layne and Daniel Negron.

2016 Top 25 NYS.png

upload_2015-3-8_13-7-0.png

And right now, the top player in the class of 2018 looks to be Jeremy Ruckert, a RB from Linderhurst with a lot of talent.

Last edited:
Great stuff as always Tom. Is there any way you have a larger copy of the list? I think my eye sight is getting worse.

Out of all the highlight tapes for the NYS kids I have watched, I would say Joshua Mack had one of the more impressive ones. I think i'd have him in the top 7 or 8.

This may be the deepest NYS has been in a long time. Sadly, Syracuse only has 1 kid on your list. Still I would like to grab a whole bunch of kids off that list. In order of preference/need my top 5 list wish would be:

1. Taysir Mack
2. Jamir Jones
3. Jacob Morganstern
4. Joshua Mack
5. Noah DeHond

Great stuff as always Tom. Is there any way you have a larger copy of the list? I think my eye sight is getting worse.

Out of all the highlight tapes for the NYS kids I have watched, I would say Joshua Mack had one of the more impressive ones. I think i'd have him in the top 7 or 8.

This may be the deepest NYS has been in a long time. Sadly, Syracuse only has 1 kid on your list. Still I would like to grab a whole bunch of kids off that list. In order of preference/need my top 5 list wish would be:

1. Taysir Mack
2. Jamir Jones
3. Jacob Morganstern
4. Joshua Mack
5. Noah DeHond
Try these versions...

np0s2s.png

15nssas.png

Last edited:

1. Taysir Mack
2. Jamir Jones
3. Jacob Morganstern
4. Joshua Mack
5. Noah DeHond
What did you mean when you wrote: "Sadly, Syracuse only has one kid on your list." Offers or sure things?

Last edited:
What do you mean when your wrote: "Sadly, Syracuse only has one kid on your list." Offers or sure things?

As in HS prospects from the area. Brotzki.

As in HS prospects from the area. Brotzki.
Ok...but we've offered many of the kids on the list. It's far too early to write most of them off.

I hate that a kid from Rochester has committed to Penn St. I almost would rather see him go to an SEC school.

Ok...but we've offered many of the kids on the list. It's far too early to write most of them off.

I'm not talking about college offers or anything. I'm just referring to the hometowns of the HS kids. Only Brotzki is from the Syracuse area.

I'm not talking about college offers or anything. I'm just referring to the hometowns of the HS kids. Only Brotzki is from the Syracuse area.
OK...gotcha.

Quick question for you: have you ever heard the rumor that many of the NYC kids are not well liked by the rest of the team? I've heard it twice within the last six months or so and I'm starting to wonder if there is something to it. That might explain why we don't seem to be targeting the City as much as during the FHCDM era?

RMH44 said:
OK...gotcha. Quick question for you: have you ever heard the rumor that many of the NYC kids are not well liked by the rest of the team? I've heard it twice within the last six months or so and I'm starting to wonder if there is something to it. That might explain why we don't seem to be targeting the City as much as during the FHCDM era?

Interesting. No I haven't heard anything like that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I know it's far different dynamics, but that exact thing happened with Seton Hall this year. Whitehead, Delgado, and another kid came in, plus some of Whiteheads "crew", and they totally alienated the rest of the team. Forced Sina to transfer.

Just thinking back to my own college experience, it always seemed like the downstate kids hung around together, and always felt superior for some reason or another

Interesting. No I haven't heard anything like that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I know it's far different dynamics, but that exact thing happened with Seton Hall this year. Whitehead, Delgado, and another kid came in, plus some of Whiteheads "crew", and they totally alienated the rest of the team. Forced Sina to transfer.

Just thinking back to my own college experience, it always seemed like the downstate kids hung around together, and always felt superior for some reason or another
A surprising number of downstate kids went to SUNY Oswego when I was there. I got the same impression from them.

As an out-of-stater, I hated plenty of the downstate kids too. Because they were such insufferable homers when it came to New York teams. And, just my luck, I was there the year the Mets won their first bleeping World Series. Plus, I got sick of all the Marv Albert impersonations. Y-y-e-s-s-s, my bleeping butt.

You were there in 1969?

Two Buffalo-area notes for you on your 2016 list:
  • Justin Jones transferred to Canisius last year
  • Terius Wheatley is transferring out of NY to Michigan
Surprised you don't have any Canisius players on either 2016/2017 list, outside of Jones, especially given their successes in recent years with 18 kids to D1 over the last five years. Word around town is they're getting some transfers, too, that are supposedly quite talented, and no school has put more kids D1 in NY over same span.

Two Buffalo-area notes for you on your 2016 list:
  • Justin Jones transferred to Canisius last year
  • Terius Wheatley is transferring out of NY to Michigan
Surprised you don't have any Canisius players on either 2016/2017 list, outside of Jones, especially given their successes in recent years with 18 kids to D1 over the last five years. Word around town is they're getting some transfers, too, that are supposedly quite talented, and no school has put more kids D1 in NY over same span.
I agree they have emerged as one of the top programs in the state in recent years.

It seems to me as though they are getting a couple top notch players out of Canada just about each year. That pipeline is really helping them.

Hope we can get access to it at some point. We have been amazingly bad at recruiting NYS west of Rochester for quite a while now.

Wow. I missed the boat on Poindexter and Morrison. Just saw the film on both and was impressed.

Poindexter is an undersized safety who can really run and hits like a Mack truck. Would be perfect for the schemes we play on defense.

Morrison is undersized as well but very strong, fast and tackles really well. Would be great supporting the run and blowing up screen plays thrown his way. His problem is playing CB in the Northeast, you don't get a lot of reps defending passes. This makes it hard for kids from around here to get scholarship offering playing corner (how many CBs have we taken from north of the Mason-Dixon line in the last 10 years?).

I like both, especially Poindexter, who would be entertaining to watch as he blows up people all over the field. I don't think we have even offered him. Not sure why, a lot of people have.