Top of the 2-3 zone...Battle, Gillon, and Howard | Syracusefan.com

Top of the 2-3 zone...Battle, Gillon, and Howard

Dave85

Living Legend
and Malachi if he stays one more year. I think one of the most difficult things about playing the Syracuse 2-3 zone is how much physical effort is required for the players at the top of the zone. The shifting back and forth is a huge amount of effort. I close my eyes and I can still see Triche/Scoop and Triche/MCW shifting back and forth. Even Triche/Rautins was a really good pair. You need two guys at the top of the zone who really have unbelievable endurance. It's a huge amount of effort to play it well.

If Malachi comes back my guess Howard / Malachi will be the best defensive pair. But if Malachi does not come back, that puts a lot pressure on Gillon and Battle to build up their shifting muscles in a hurry. I hope they are practicing it now because it's a lot of lateral movement. It's probably going to take a whole season for our defense to get really good. Which is pretty normal I guess.

Nice video of Hop and GMac teaching how to play top of the zone defense:

GMac crushes that fade away 3!

I've said it a few times (and yes, he has to learn the zone) but I'll repeat this: Battle is going to be an absolute terror at the top of zone. He could be one of our best zone guys ever. He's long, lighting quick, moves laterally well, blocks shots up top leading to breaks and takes great pride in being a defender. Battle is an amazing offensive player in so many respects but his defense doesn't get enough attention.

I've said it a few times (and yes, he has to learn the zone) but I'll repeat this: Battle is going to be an absolute terror at the top of zone. He could be one of our best zone guys ever. He's long, lighting quick, moves laterally well, blocks shots up top leading to breaks and takes great pride in being a defender. Battle is an amazing offensive player in so many respects but his defense doesn't get enough attention.
Nailed it.
giphy.gif

Yeah, I think that Battle and Howard, actually have some serious potential at the top of the zone. If they mesh well and pick up the nuances, they could be one of the best pairs we've ever had. I think Mal has potential too--but I'm not sure he has the lateral quickness to be elite.

Yeah, I think that Battle and Howard, actually have some serious potential at the top of the zone. If they mesh well and pick up the nuances, they could be one of the best pairs we've ever had. I think Mal has potential too--but I'm not sure he has the lateral quickness to be elite.

Yeah, Howard was not a good defender this year but the tools are there.

I love Motor Moyer. I've been going with Rattle, works well with Battle. Battle & Rattle. In the spirit of Louie & Bouie.

lets hope he earns one

way back when, I was going with Sweet-E-Moten but I was the only one. shoulda made a banner

Yeah, I have a lot of great expectations for Battle. I had the same expectations about Ennis. But Ennis on a fast break was like watching paint dry. I think Battle is going to be lot more like Dion to the basket but Kemba Walker on the pull up jumper. Ankles are going to break. Phi slamma jamma is on! If Battle plays good defense on top of everything else I will have a peak experience!

Lots of discussion about the 2G position if Malachi does indeed leave, but what about backup at the 3? Malachi gives you the flexibility to play two positions and while Battle has the size to play the back line it's tough enough for a freshman to learn one position in the zone let alone 2. Especially the way the forwards are now asked to defend the perimeter.

Dave85 said:
and Malachi if he stays one more year. I think one of the most difficult things about playing the Syracuse 2-3 zone is how much physical effort is required for the players at the top of the zone. The shifting back and forth is a huge amount of effort. I close my eyes and I can still see Triche/Scoop and Triche/MCW shifting back and forth. Even Triche/Rautins was a really good pair. You need two guys at the top of the zone who really have unbelievable endurance. It's a huge amount of effort to play it well. If Malachi comes back my guess Howard / Malachi will be the best defensive pair. But if Malachi does not come back, that puts a lot pressure on Gillon and Battle to build up their shifting muscles in a hurry. I hope they are practicing it now because it's a lot of lateral movement. It's probably going to take a whole season for our defense to get really good. Which is pretty normal I guess. Nice video of Hop and GMac teaching how to play top of the zone defense: YouTube Video GMac crushes that fade away 3!

It would be interesting to see just how much energy is expended in man and in our zone. There is more lateral movement in the zone - but I'd bet there is more overall in man. Chasing cutters, etc.

Lots of discussion about the 2G position if Malachi does indeed leave, but what about backup at the 3? Malachi gives you the flexibility to play two positions and while Battle has the size to play the back line it's tough enough for a freshman to learn one position in the zone let alone 2. Especially the way the forwards are now asked to defend the perimeter.

Why would Battle ever need to learn the back line. There are three guys who'll be able to eat up 80 minutes with no issues. Lydon, Roberson, and Moyer.

Why would Battle ever need to learn the back line. There are three guys who'll be able to eat up 80 minutes with no issues. Lydon, Roberson, and Moyer.

Roberson is a Pure 4. Lydon is a swing F. Does Moyer have the perimeter game to play the 3 offensively? If he does, I agree. Solid 3 man rotation. If not someone has to back up Lydon at the 3.

Roberson is a Pure 4. Lydon is a swing F. Does Moyer have the perimeter game to play the 3 offensively? If he does, I agree. Solid 3 man rotation. If not someone has to back up Lydon at the 3.

I'm assuming they'd be sacrificing the outside game with Moyer at the 3. If Moyer doesn't play the 3 he sure as heck isn't playing the 5 and would probably average 5-6 minutes a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom