Top Transfers | Syracusefan.com

Top Transfers

OrangeBear

Walk On
Wonder if Cuse is going after any of these guys...

Eron Harris leads top 2014 transfers
in.gif

March, 31, 2014
Mar 31
12:14
PM ET
By Jeff Goodman | ESPN.com
ncb_a_smart11_576x324.jpg
AP Photo/Sue OgrockiEron Harris will most likely land somewhere in the Midwest.
Transfers are the fad, the new-age tool to recruit. I compile the transfer list each offseason, and have done it for the past seven or eight years. It went from a few phone calls the first year or two to the point where I get hounded all season for an early edition of the list.

There are traditional transfers, those who leave and sit out a season at their next destination. There are those who head closer to home and gain immediately eligibility due to an ailing family member. And then there are the fifth-year transfers, players who can also play right away if they have graduated and have a year of eligibility remaining.

Everyone is looking for the next DeAndre Kane, who was a difference-maker for Fred Hoiberg and the Iowa State Cyclones after spending his first four seasons at Marshall. UConn has earned a spot in the Final Four with the help of George Washington transfer Lasan Kromah. Arizona had traditional transfer T.J. McConnell running the Wildcats all the way to the Elite Eight, and much of Dayton’s postseason success was triggered by Ohio State transfer Jordan Sibert.

We’ve already got in excess of 100 transfers since January, which adds to the 60 or so players who were on our midseason transfer list.

But who is most likely to have an outsized impact for their new program? Below are the top dozen guys who have already decided to play elsewhere next season. Most are still up for grabs.

1. Eron Harris, 6-foot-2, G, Soph., West Virginia Mountaineers

He’ll be a hot commodity on the open market after putting up 17.2 points per game for Bob Huggins and the Mountaineers this past season. Look for him to land somewhere back in the Midwest since he’s a native of Indiana. It’ll be interesting to see if he tries to get a waiver to play right away.

2. Anthony Lee, 6-9, F, Jr., Temple Owls (will graduate)

He’s no longer available, having pledged to Ohio State, but he warrants mention. The former Owls big man had a ton of heavy hitters in pursuit but wound up going with Thad Matta and the Buckeyes -- who will need him next season after losing LaQuinton Ross. Lee is a fifth-year guy and will be eligible next season.

3. Trevor Thompson, 7-0, C, Fr., Virginia Tech Hokies

He’s a big man who can run the court extremely well. He showed flashes last season for the Hokies and is attracting attention from many big boys. Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue and Butler have all met with him in the past few days. He’s a Midwest native and could try to apply for a waiver to play next season.

4. Bryce Dejean-Jones, 6-5, SG, Jr., UNLV Rebels (will graduate)

He’s got a few red flags -- getting suspended at the end of the season for "conduct detrimental to the team" -- but Dejean-Jones has size and can score the ball. He averaged 13.6 points for the Runnin’ Rebels last season and could be an X factor guy for someone next season.

5. M.J. Rhett, 6-8, F, Jr., Tennessee State Tigers (will graduate)

He’s an available big who can play immediately, and that means he’ll attract no shortage of attention. Rhett averaged 10.9 points and 9.1 boards a season ago, and has already visited Oklahoma State. He told me he’s also considering Tulane, Arizona State, Miami, Tennessee and Mississippi.

6. Kareem Canty, 6-1, G, Fr., Marshall Thundering Herd

The last Marshall transfer who put up numbers (Kane) worked out pretty well. Canty is a 6-1 freshman who averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists this past season for former coach Tom Herrion. He’s still waiting on his release, but sources indicate he has asked to leave Huntington, W.Va.

7. Sean Obi, 6-9, F, Fr., Rice Owls

The native of Nigeria should get plenty of suitors after averaging nearly a double-double as a freshman with the Owls. He has three years of eligibility left.

8. Kevin Ware, 6-2, G, Jr., Louisville Cardinals

He received national attention due to the gruesome broken leg he suffered in the NCAA tournament a year ago, and now he’s searching for a new home. He once committed to play for Bruce Pearl at Tennessee, but Georgia State could be the favorite to land Ware, per sources.

9. Nolan Cressler, 6-4, G, Soph., Cornell Big Red

He put up 16.8 points per game this past season for Bill Courtney in the Ivy League and will sit and have two seasons left to play. Cressler is a big, strong guard who is attracting attention from the likes of Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Pittsburgh.

10. Ian Chiles, 6-1, G, Sr., IUPUI Jaguars (will graduate)

He will likely move up a level or two and be a good piece. Chiles is a scoring guard who averaged 15.8 points last season on a team that lost a lot of games. He’s also a Louisville, Ky., native.

11. Stevie Clark, 5-11, G, Fr., Oklahoma State Cowboys

If he can get his act together, Clark could be a big-time player at his next stop, but he was given multiple opportunities in Stillwater, Okla., by Travis Ford and couldn’t take advantage.

12. Tyler Lewis, 5-11, PG, Soph., North Carolina State Wolfpack

The former McDonald’s All American would be best served to find a quality mid-major program at which he can thrive. He played about 20 minutes per game this past season as a sophomore, but the writing was on the wall that this was Anthony "Cat" Barber’s team next season.

Lewis is transferring? Wow.

Wonder if Cuse is going after any of these guys...

Eron Harris leads top 2014 transfers
in.gif

March, 31, 2014
Mar 31
12:14
PM ET
By Jeff Goodman | ESPN.com
ncb_a_smart11_576x324.jpg
AP Photo/Sue OgrockiEron Harris will most likely land somewhere in the Midwest.
Transfers are the fad, the new-age tool to recruit. I compile the transfer list each offseason, and have done it for the past seven or eight years. It went from a few phone calls the first year or two to the point where I get hounded all season for an early edition of the list.

There are traditional transfers, those who leave and sit out a season at their next destination. There are those who head closer to home and gain immediately eligibility due to an ailing family member. And then there are the fifth-year transfers, players who can also play right away if they have graduated and have a year of eligibility remaining.

Everyone is looking for the next DeAndre Kane, who was a difference-maker for Fred Hoiberg and the Iowa State Cyclones after spending his first four seasons at Marshall. UConn has earned a spot in the Final Four with the help of George Washington transfer Lasan Kromah. Arizona had traditional transfer T.J. McConnell running the Wildcats all the way to the Elite Eight, and much of Dayton’s postseason success was triggered by Ohio State transfer Jordan Sibert.

We’ve already got in excess of 100 transfers since January, which adds to the 60 or so players who were on our midseason transfer list.

But who is most likely to have an outsized impact for their new program? Below are the top dozen guys who have already decided to play elsewhere next season. Most are still up for grabs.

1. Eron Harris, 6-foot-2, G, Soph., West Virginia Mountaineers

He’ll be a hot commodity on the open market after putting up 17.2 points per game for Bob Huggins and the Mountaineers this past season. Look for him to land somewhere back in the Midwest since he’s a native of Indiana. It’ll be interesting to see if he tries to get a waiver to play right away.

2. Anthony Lee, 6-9, F, Jr., Temple Owls (will graduate)

He’s no longer available, having pledged to Ohio State, but he warrants mention. The former Owls big man had a ton of heavy hitters in pursuit but wound up going with Thad Matta and the Buckeyes -- who will need him next season after losing LaQuinton Ross. Lee is a fifth-year guy and will be eligible next season.

3. Trevor Thompson, 7-0, C, Fr., Virginia Tech Hokies

He’s a big man who can run the court extremely well. He showed flashes last season for the Hokies and is attracting attention from many big boys. Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue and Butler have all met with him in the past few days. He’s a Midwest native and could try to apply for a waiver to play next season.

4. Bryce Dejean-Jones, 6-5, SG, Jr., UNLV Rebels (will graduate)

He’s got a few red flags -- getting suspended at the end of the season for "conduct detrimental to the team" -- but Dejean-Jones has size and can score the ball. He averaged 13.6 points for the Runnin’ Rebels last season and could be an X factor guy for someone next season.

5. M.J. Rhett, 6-8, F, Jr., Tennessee State Tigers (will graduate)

He’s an available big who can play immediately, and that means he’ll attract no shortage of attention. Rhett averaged 10.9 points and 9.1 boards a season ago, and has already visited Oklahoma State. He told me he’s also considering Tulane, Arizona State, Miami, Tennessee and Mississippi.

6. Kareem Canty, 6-1, G, Fr., Marshall Thundering Herd

The last Marshall transfer who put up numbers (Kane) worked out pretty well. Canty is a 6-1 freshman who averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists this past season for former coach Tom Herrion. He’s still waiting on his release, but sources indicate he has asked to leave Huntington, W.Va.

7. Sean Obi, 6-9, F, Fr., Rice Owls

The native of Nigeria should get plenty of suitors after averaging nearly a double-double as a freshman with the Owls. He has three years of eligibility left.

8. Kevin Ware, 6-2, G, Jr., Louisville Cardinals

He received national attention due to the gruesome broken leg he suffered in the NCAA tournament a year ago, and now he’s searching for a new home. He once committed to play for Bruce Pearl at Tennessee, but Georgia State could be the favorite to land Ware, per sources.

9. Nolan Cressler, 6-4, G, Soph., Cornell Big Red

He put up 16.8 points per game this past season for Bill Courtney in the Ivy League and will sit and have two seasons left to play. Cressler is a big, strong guard who is attracting attention from the likes of Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Pittsburgh.

10. Ian Chiles, 6-1, G, Sr., IUPUI Jaguars (will graduate)

He will likely move up a level or two and be a good piece. Chiles is a scoring guard who averaged 15.8 points last season on a team that lost a lot of games. He’s also a Louisville, Ky., native.

11. Stevie Clark, 5-11, G, Fr., Oklahoma State Cowboys

If he can get his act together, Clark could be a big-time player at his next stop, but he was given multiple opportunities in Stillwater, Okla., by Travis Ford and couldn’t take advantage.

12. Tyler Lewis, 5-11, PG, Soph., North Carolina State Wolfpack

The former McDonald’s All American would be best served to find a quality mid-major program at which he can thrive. He played about 20 minutes per game this past season as a sophomore, but the writing was on the wall that this was Anthony "Cat" Barber’s team next season.

Why not take a run at Cressler? Kid lit us up this year, at least in the first half. He could be instant offense off the bench. About 1000x more aggressive than Gbinije.

Kareem Canty is an absolute steal. Tough NYC kid that will remind you of Kemba Walker. Would love to see us get involved.

Siebert is former OSU?! That explains EVERYTHING!!! He's te primary reason Dayton beat us.

Arrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!!! :bang:

Ware is transferring? I'm surprised by that. Anyone know if he has said why?

There are alot of guards on this list, and we are not solid AT ALL at the guard position.. a frosh PG, a shaky at best SG, Silent G who is a mystery at times... i would be fine with any of these guys,

There are alot of guards on this list, and we are not solid AT ALL at the guard position.. a frosh PG, a shaky at best SG, Silent G who is a mystery at times... i would be fine with any of these guys,

Seriously. I'm getting tired of the knock on some of the 'lesser' recruits arguments and how they aren't Syracuse worthy. Plenty of A10-type talent light us up regularly and every Dayton player for instance looked like they could play for SU, imo. Give me some bball players with good skills.

totally agree. their shooter needed an inch of space and he was daggers from 30 feet. we have some fans who think we get the top recruits in the world. we dont. that WV kid could come in and start from day 1 for all we know.

Hmmm, that's too bad. I propose a rule. If your leg snaps in two while playing for a team, they must treat you well.

I believe he thought that was the case and decided to push the boundaries after what was acceptable per team rules as well as the law.

Seriously. I'm getting tired of the knock on some of the 'lesser' recruits arguments and how they aren't Syracuse worthy. Plenty of A10-type talent light us up regularly and every Dayton player for instance looked like they could play for SU, imo. Give me some bball players with good skills.
Plus, we're talking about giving these guys a shot as a complementary player. It's not like we're looking at these guys and saying that's the one we build our team around.

OttoinGrotto said:
Plus, we're talking about giving these guys a shot as a complementary player. It's not like we're looking at these guys and saying that's the one we build our team around.
Lots of these guys look good. How many have to sit out?

Only kids who can play next year are worthy to be looked at. Having them sit out a year isn't going to fill the needs of the team. By 2015-16 the team should be strong. Most of the guards will have one more year experience, and also the forwards. Center is the big question mark. Will Coleman be ready and can Obokoh be able to contribute?

Only kids who can play next year are worthy to be looked at. Having them sit out a year isn't going to fill the needs of the team. By 2015-16 the team should be strong. Most of the guards will have one more year experience, and also the forwards. Center is the big question mark. Will Coleman be ready and can Obokoh be able to contribute?

Sounds scary.

Dayton was full of basketball players. They also played 12 guys. 12!

SoBeCuse said:

Why get steak when hamburger is on the menu?

Recruiting is about choice. We get to pick 1st. Therefore you don't take lesser talent (though they may grow into talented players that may or may not light us up in one game in the future) when you can have your 1st choice.

Every Dayton player could not play for us, IMO.

It seems to me like who can play right away is pretty much random in today's NCAA. Having said that, I would look at literally any of those guards that are anything close to a PG. I would happily take Lewis or the guy from Marshall if either of them were possibilities.

If Eron Harris is able to play immediately then we should pursue him; he would take up a scholarship for two years. Ian Chiles seems most likely to willingly take backup minutes; only a one year player.

Why get steak when hamburger is on the menu?

Recruiting is about choice. We get to pick 1st. Therefore you don't take lesser talent (though they may grow into talented players that may or may not light us up in one game in the future) when you can have your 1st choice.

Every Dayton player could not play for us, IMO.

Sure not every Dayton player. Many can, imo. I know it's about the system on D especially with SU and I know it's not an exact science either, clearly. It just seems like SO many high rated recruits (not the Dions/MCWs) come in here and they barely show any ball skills. I don't know if it's the recruitniks' malarkey or what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom