Transfer Portal 2024 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Portal 2024

Nobody else allowed in.

If you're already in, you can still pick a new school anytime.
Glad to hear nobody is stuck in the portal but I know some will never be heard from again.

Nobody else allowed in.

If you're already in, you can still pick a new school anytime.

I think it was in reference because the lister said that more would enter before the season and that’s not accurate as the portal has closed so no more will enter

But yes, we have plenty of time to recruit

IMO, FLJ and staff has done a masterful recruiting job!
Despite little to no coverage from the local media!
It’s time for the media to step it up!​

IMG_9298.gif

I have been saying the same thing for some time now. We all need to demand more coverage!
The problem is, they are running a business. And they see who reads their stories and they write them according to that in areas like sports. I am a big Syracuse soccer fan. Have been for 40 years. Two years ago, we won the national title. I very much wanted to see more recruiting stuff and spring soccer stories. Got none. And so I asked them about it. They just can't justify doing more by the amount of clicks they get for the stories they write. It's too bad. But I understand it.

The problem is, they are running a business. And they see who reads their stories and they write them according to that in areas like sports. I am a big Syracuse soccer fan. Have been for 40 years. Two years ago, we won the national title. I very much wanted to see more recruiting stuff and spring soccer stories. Got none. And so I asked them about it. They just can't justify doing more by the amount of clicks they get for the stories they write. It's too bad. But I understand it.
The interest they get on fan boards etc sadly doesn’t equal the clicks measurement that are used on their website.

I don’t think this is a new issue.

My memory is that years ago (and I am talking 20 plus) when a Syracuse Olympic sport had a big season and started playing really important games, the Syracuse newspapers, which normally ignored these sports, would usually respond.

I think they normally got the reporter on the DO who was covering the game/match for that newspaper also write a story for the PS and/or HJ.

Back in those days, if you wanted to read the Daily Orange, you drove up to campus and found a building with some still in the lobby (Manley was my normal go to).. Anyway, I suspect the cost to the PS or HJ was minimal. Maybe they threw the student $20. I don’t think they sprung for a hotel room or a flight or paid the reporter real money. I think the student writer liked it because they got a professional writing credit on their resume. Win win for everyone.

Back in those days, I think most of the Olympic sports away games were Big East matches that were a bus trip. My guess is that the DO reporter traveled on the team bus and it was not unusual to drive back immediately after the game/match ended. I bet they stopped at McDonalds for a meal on the way down and again on the way back. Minimal expense.

These days, SU plays a lot of Olympic sports matches on the road that require flying and sometimes a hotel room too. I don’t think even the DO typically sends a reporter for these games (maybe the ACC tournament). But with the advent of the ACC network, all league matches and all home matches should at least in theory be televised. So coverage should be better than ever.

I know there are feature shows on Citrus TV and maybe other places that are shown on campus that provide in depth panel coverage of olympic sports and I wish those shows were routinely distributed on YouTube, since great diehard fans like you would really like to watch them.

Anyway, long story short: I suggest that the PS at least reach out to student writers at SU to see if any have interest in writing stories about selected SU Olympic sports. If the DO and the write are amenable to write for the DO and the PS, great. If not, I know there are a bunch of students on campus that would love to write articles on Olympic sports for the PS and would be willing to do it but close to nothing, so they can build their resume. Please PS sports editor (I think this is now Nate Mink), consider doing this in the future.

I don’t think this is a new issue.

My memory is that years ago (and I am talking 20 plus) when a Syracuse Olympic sport had a big season and started playing really important games, the Syracuse newspapers, which normally ignored these sports, would usually respond.

I think they normally got the reporter on the DO who was covering the game/match for that newspaper also write a story for the PS and/or HJ.

Back in those days, if you wanted to read the Daily Orange, you drove up to campus and found a building with some still in the lobby (Manley was my normal go to).. Anyway, I suspect the cost to the PS or HJ was minimal. Maybe they threw the student $20. I don’t think they sprung for a hotel room or a flight or paid the reporter real money. I think the student writer liked it because they got a professional writing credit on their resume. Win win for everyone.

Back in those days, I think most of the Olympic sports away games were Big East matches that were a bus trip. My guess is that the DO reporter traveled on the team bus and it was not unusual to drive back immediately after the game/match ended. I bet they stopped at McDonalds for a meal on the way down and again on the way back. Minimal expense.

These days, SU plays a lot of Olympic sports matches on the road that require flying and sometimes a hotel room too. I don’t think even the DO typically sends a reporter for these games (maybe the ACC tournament). But with the advent of the ACC network, all league matches and all home matches should at least in theory be televised. So coverage should be better than ever.

I know there are feature shows on Citrus TV and maybe other places that are shown on campus that provide in depth panel coverage of olympic sports and I wish those shows were routinely distributed on YouTube, since great diehard fans like you would really like to watch them.

Anyway, long story short: I suggest that the PS at least reach out to student writers at SU to see if any have interest in writing stories about selected SU Olympic sports. If the DO and the write are amenable to write for the DO and the PS, great. If not, I know there are a bunch of students on campus that would love to write articles on Olympic sports for the PS and would be willing to do it but close to nothing, so they can build their resume. Please PS sports editor (I think this is now Nate Mink), consider doing this in the future.
Nate is the sports editor now. I think the issue might be more space than reporter cost. But reporter cost would still be an issue. Of course, space doesn't come in to play with online. I really wish they would do something. Obviously, womans sports and men's sports like Lax or soccer could use more coverage. I don't believe the PS even has a full time baseball writer (is the team still called the Chiefs?) at this point. Or at least they didn't recently.

Nate is the sports editor now. I think the issue might be more space than reporter cost. But reporter cost would still be an issue. Of course, space doesn't come in to play with online. I really wish they would do something. Obviously, womans sports and men's sports like Lax or soccer could use more coverage. I don't believe the PS even has a full time baseball writer (is the team still called the Chiefs?) at this point. Or at least they didn't recently.
The AAA baseball team here was bought by the NY Mets a couple of years ago and renamed the Syracuse Mets then.

You are right. The PS does not have regular beat reporter for the Syracuse Mets or a regular beat reporter for the Syracuse Crunch, the local AHL hockey team.

Articles on these teams that they publish are provided by the Mets and the Crunch. They go over details from the games but rarely offer quotes, insights or anything other that strictly what happened.

At least for the Syracuse olympic sports, we still have real reporters who at least cover the teams in their home games/matches.

I subscribe to Syracuse.com. I hate what has been done to what was once a very good newspaper but I try to do my part to keep it alive. I fear greatly what will happen when Mike and Donna are done. Hopefully both stay on with the paper for a long time.

I was told the same thing about women’s basketball articles and “clicks”!!

The AAA baseball team here was bought by the NY Mets a couple of years ago and renamed the Syracuse Mets then.

You are right. The PS does not have regular beat reporter for the Syracuse Mets or a regular beat reporter for the Syracuse Crunch, the local AHL hockey team.

Articles on these teams that they publish are provided by the Mets and the Crunch. They go over details from the games but rarely offer quotes, insights or anything other that strictly what happened.

At least for the Syracuse olympic sports, we still have real reporters who at least cover the teams in their home games/matches.

I subscribe to Syracuse.com. I hate what has been done to what was once a very good newspaper but I try to do my part to keep it alive. I fear greatly what will happen when Mike and Donna are done. Hopefully both stay on with the paper for a long time.
I keep my subscription with them for the same reason. They need dollars to support it or it will eventually be more bare bones than it is now. I know folks like to read the stories for free on Apple News, Google News or Newsbreak, but it's not free in the long run.

Liatu King just committed their... they are LOADED!
That was the one player I was watching - yikes, Notre Dame has just bought themselves an entirely loaded team to add to an already excellent team. They only have one ball though but if their multiple stars play unselfishly - scary excellent and experienced talent.

That was the one player I was watching - yikes, Notre Dame has just bought themselves an entirely loaded team to add to an already excellent team. They only have one ball though but if their multiple stars play unselfishly - scary excellent and experienced talent.
That's the talent needed to be a top 10 team and win titles.

That's the talent needed to be a top 10 team and win titles.
Definitely. And in the new college world it also takes not just recruiting connections but lots of money to obtain that experienced proven talent from other programs. ND should be competitive with South Carolina, UConn, LSU etc type teams or it would be a real disappointment.