Transfer Season | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Season

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
So far, Zlatan and Mourinho to United is the biggest news. United have also added Mhkitarian, or are very close to doing so. Terrific pick-up. Mata on his way out, perhaps to Everton. Fellaini may go, too, along with Daley Blind in the clear-out to come. Add Matic as a holding midfielder to go with their new central defender Bailly, and that looks like a much better team, capable of competing for the Premier League.

Vardy looks to stay at Leicester along with Mahrez. Kante to Chelsea, they are saying. So Leicester will take a step back, but will have a glorious time playing in Europe. They have added Mendy, the box-to-box midfielder from Nice to replace Kante, and they are involved in a handful of smart, affordable buys. I think Leicester will be battling with West Ham, Crystal Palace and sexy, sexy Stoke at the fringes of European qualification next year.

So far, Guardiola's business to reshape Man City has underwhelmed me. Nolito is a good player, and so is Ilkay Gundogan, and I hear he is hoping for Tony Kroos from Real Madrid and Luis Suarez from Barca. But why would Suarez leave, he had something like 40 goals for Barca last year? I think we're going to find out just how good a coach Pep is. They have talent, but they have some old guys who have to be moved out, who lost the spark a couple years ago, and so far Nolito and Gundogan are not nearly enough to make then contenders. They need help up front, and their need a couple defenders.

Arsenal has started OK by adding Granit Xhaka, who will give them more bite and depth in the midfield, as an alternative to Coquelin and El Neny, who was very good late in the season. They still need a striker as an alternative to Giroud (Alexandre Lacazette has been mentioned), but they have a few too many of the same kind of player to me - the Chamberlain Clones we could call them. A couple may leave. Jack Wilshire has done very well for Wales in the Euros and hopefully will keep up the good form as the season rolls around. They probably need a young, but big and mobile center back, too. Koscielny is a fine player, as is Mertesacker, but they both have their weaknesses.

Chelsea look like they have a terrific coach in Conte. Great showing by Italy in the Euro's. They have added Mishuayi from the Belgium team, played in France and scored 17 goals last year. Not as big as Lukaku, but more mobile, makes more runs behind, has a nice first touch, only 22 years old. Could be a good pick-up, especially in a two striker system under Conte. Strong rumors that Diego wants to go back to Atletico Madrid. Might be good to part ways; he carries so much baggage, but he is such a good hold-up center forward, and he would work so well in this system with Conte. If Diego goes, it's got to be because they bought back Lukaku, with whom they are speaking. The other person they've been talking about up front is Alvaro Morata, who again, is a good guy, you can probably get 15+ goals from him, but he's not as impressive as someone like Gonzalo Higuain, who scored 30 goals in Italy last year. It doesn't seem like they are going to Nainggolan from Roma, although they keep trying. Kante is a sign they have given up on Rainggolan, I think.

The signing of Koulibaly from France as a center back means that I think Chelsea may have also given up hope of getting Leo Bonucci from Juventus. If they could, holy cow that would completely change the dynamic at Chelsea and I would send Terry and Ivanovic out the door before the season started. I wouldn't want Terry in the locker room and I don't see how they renewed Ivanovic's contract when he was by far the worst defender on the team last year. Moving him to the center won't save his career in Blue, because he's just not that good with the ball at his feet under pressure. Bonucci is a great passer, and a spirited player. PLEASE PLEASE let Chelsea sign him. He would be my new captain.

Liverpool is going to be busy under Klopp this summer. Sadio Mane is a good start. He is more mobile up front, and will be able to run behind defenses, unlike Benteke, who seems bound for Crystal Palace (a very good pick up for them; a good fit for a team starved of goals). I see they've added Joel Matip to the defense. I get a sense they will be budget shopping a bit, and they are in need of some star power up front, or else they will continue to rely on whether or not Daniel Sturridge is fit and in the mood. I don't think Klopp wants to go through that again without more options up front to go with Coutinho. I don't know if Firmino, Lallana and Can are sufficiently creative attacking players for the Premier League. I just don't think Henderson is good enough, although Joe Allen has been great for Wales in the Euros.

Your thoughts on the transfer season so far?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom