Class of 2016 - Transfer Thread | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Transfer Thread

Francis03

All American
Thought it would be cool to keep all of the transfer transactions and news in one thread over here.

Some notables so far.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3129940/kory-holden
6'2 Soph PG. 17 PPG and 4 APG.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3137732/goodluck-okonoboh
Yes he's still on the market. Hop loved him a few years ago.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61266/kale-abrahamson
Not a position of need, but expected to be an early graduate transfer. Could provide JB another long range sniper at the wings.

Francis, I remember Okonboh. How can a 6'10" center have a 38% fg this year, all from 2 point range? He played only 15 minutes a game too as a soph. Yikes. Any idea what happened?

Francis, I remember Okonboh. How can a 6'10" center have a 38% fg this year, all from 2 point range? He played only 15 minutes a game too as a soph. Yikes. Any idea what happened?
After a solid freshman year, his minutes was reduced because they had five star local freshman Stephan Zimmerman coming in. The team was a mess chemistry wise, but that was always the theme during the Dave Rice era. UNLV had more overall talent than most high major schools, but Rice for whatever never made landing a true PG a priority to bring all of those pieces together. Goodluck is a terrific rim protector and is very athletic, but seriously needs to be coached up in a good structured environment.

There is a kid by the name of DeSean Murray who is transferring out of Presbyterian and is listed at 6'5. He's played 2 years and is looking to move to a higher level school. He averaged 20.7 ppg and 7.4 rpg as a sophomore last year. I doubt he would be on our radar but I figured he's at least worth a mention.

These 5th year transfers? I think we should really look at one this year

Wonder if Rick's alma mater Miami and Larranaga could get him? He corrals quite a few transfers.

Cool thread!

Would love to see us add a point guard and / or a SF with size who can shoot.

The more I look I like that Barry kid. I doubt we can get him but I would love to have him and be able to flip Malachi between the SG and SF especially if we have the rim protector in Chukwu to help out on the boards.

We need scorers period.

Thought it would be cool to keep all of the transfer transactions and news in one thread over here.

Francis03

Are these just transfers, or are they transfers that we've show interest in and who may have interest in us?

I think transfers are 100% the way to go. With the staff not wanting to battle the big boys for 1 and dones this strategy just makes sense, even if they are not graduate transfers. This staffs strength is identifying talent. If they feel they can get a kid who has potential (see Chukwu, Wes Johnson, Mike Gbinije) to come and sit out a year, develop, learn the system, get stronger and more mature, its a homerun. I would much rather them use a scholarship on a transfer then a projects like the Cat Rescuer, Oboko, etc.

An interesting question/thought, 2 years from now would you rather have a 4th yr Junior in Goodluck or a true Soph. in Taurean?

Francis03

Are these just transfers, or are they transfers that we've show interest in and who may have interest in us?
Just a collection of names and info to keep into one place, so that everybody is informed with what's available out there.

Cool thread!

Would love to see us add a point guard and / or a SF with size who can shoot.
14754579-large.jpg

(just playing, RF)

Just a collection of names and info to keep into one place, so that everybody is informed with what's available out there.

think the staff will take a look at a 5th year?

think the staff will take a look at a 5th year?
I doubt it, but that's only because JAB doesn't like the 5th year transfer rule. And, I don't know, but over the last 10-12 years that I've paid more attention, it seems that every season SU is going to be loaded next season they aren't for whatever reason.

This team needs a SF for next year.
PG- Battle
SG-Richardson
SF-?? Lydon
PF- Roberson
C- Coleman

bench: Chukwu, Moyer, Howard
on scholarship: Chino, Joseph
1 scholarship TBA.

Chino won't play and will probably set the record for fewest minutes by any 4 year play ever, Joseph if he stays likely won't either. We have a hole a SF. It can be any 6-6 kid who can help offensively.

I doubt it, but that's only because JAB doesn't like the 5th year transfer rule. And, I don't know, but over the last 10-12 years that I've paid more attention, it seems that every season SU is going to be loaded next season they aren't for whatever reason.

I think next year offers a unique situation. With Battle/Richardson/Lydon/Moyer, you have four guys who won't be together forever that are high-level guys. Add to that Chukwu and Coleman, who can provide stability in the middle, along with Howard & Roberson as glue-type guys, one more guy who can come in and average 15 minutes a game at the point guard position might be all that we need to be an elite team.

The last time we went 9 deep we went 34-3. If we can find one more perimeter piece that has experience and can add some offensive punch off the bench, we can be an elite team again IMO.

Goodluck makes a lot of sense when you consider that Coleman has said he will be back. You basically get an athletic shot blocking big that gets a year to learn the zone and has some college experience already. With Coleman/Chukwu/Lydon you have enough to handle the 5 next year. If the staff doesn't feel they can add Thompson or that Dembele isn't the answer Goodluck would be a nice insurance policy for the 2017 season and could potentially wind up being a very nice defensive piece his last couple of seasons.

This team needs a SF for next year.
PG- Battle
SG-Richardson
SF-?? Lydon
PF- Roberson
C- Coleman

bench: Chukwu, Moyer, Howard
on scholarship: Chino, Joseph
1 scholarship TBA.

Chino won't play and will probably set the record for fewest minutes by any 4 year play ever, Joseph if he stays likely won't either. We have a hole a SF. It can be any 6-6 kid who can help offensively.

I don't think either Lydon or Moyer are pure SF although I think both could see time in that roll particularly if Roberson is in the game because he simply does not have the skills to play as a 3. Also Richardson and Battle are both 6-6 or better and either could see time as a SF although I don't think its ideal. Not to mention Joseph will be gone so you are then down to 3 guards so it becomes less likely. If we take a 5th year grad to play the forward spot IMO it would be because Roberson isn't coming back.

I think next year offers a unique situation. With Battle/Richardson/Lydon/Moyer, you have four guys who won't be together forever that are high-level guys. Add to that Chukwu and Coleman, who can provide stability in the middle, along with Howard & Roberson as glue-type guys, one more guy who can come in and average 15 minutes a game at the point guard position might be all that we need to be an elite team.

The last time we went 9 deep we went 34-3. If we can find one more perimeter piece that has experience and can add some offensive punch off the bench, we can be an elite team again IMO.

Those 4 playing together is quite interesting to me as well. As I mentioned above I don't see Moyer or Lydon as pure SF but certainly playing along side each other they give us enough ball skills and shooting to stretch the floor and create lanes. If Roberson comes back I like the idea of a graduate PG for insurance at that position but you are likely talking about bringing in a backup who would also be competing with a second year guy for that role.
Next season right now without adding anyone lines up in a 3g, 3f, 2c rotation.

With Malachi, Howard, and Battle, there are two guards and a SF in there. Need a 3rd guard either a pure PG or a sick shooter to play 15-20 mpg.