Class of 2016 - Transfer Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Transfer Thread

I love Matthews ... too bad we won't have a shot at him

Matthews would've been an awesome late addition but it's understandable why it's not an option.

So if TT doesn't commit, we could say he cost us two players.

More likely Malachi leaving cost us TylerC. His motivation would have been winning a NC. I don't think TT was considered at all in Tyler's decision.

More likely Malachi leaving cost us TylerC. His motivation would have been winning a NC. I don't think TT was considered at all in Tyler's decision.
If that were entirely the case, he could have made his decision earlier. Perhaps the coaches wanted Cavanaugh to wait so he wouldn't give TT another reason to not pick Syracuse...and he couldn't wait any longer.

With Lydon being a higher-upside version of Cavanaugh, and Robey a much better rebounder, would TC have even gotten many/any minutes with us?

Yes, we can use bodies next year, but we're pretty good at forward.
Both current Tylers are each likely to get 35+minutes a game.
You know how Boeheim do.

With Lydon being a higher-upside version of Cavanaugh, and Robey a much better rebounder, would TC have even gotten many/any minutes with us?

You know how Boeheim do.
He would've cut into Roberson's minutes. I also think Lydon would have played some 5 again if TC had come aboard, to get all 3 on the court together. You don't pass on an offensively skilled player, with size and rebounding ability, to give Roberson 35 minutes or DC 20+. Love those guys, but they're just not as good.

You know how Boeheim do.

Yes, the idea would have been getting Lydon and Cavanaugh on the floor together as much as possible weather both were at forward or Lydon was at center. It would have been the centers and other forwards who's time was cut into. Imagine if Mal had come back and you could throw TylerL, TylerC, Mal, out there with the ball in Battle or Howard's hands

If that were entirely the case, he could have made his decision earlier. Perhaps the coaches wanted Cavanaugh to wait so he wouldn't give TT another reason to not pick Syracuse...and he couldn't wait any longer.

I don't know for sure but I can't imagine TT is important enough that the staff would have ever hesitated to accept Kavanaugh if he wanted to transfer nor could I imagine them asking him to wait for TT to commit first. That would make no sense since TT isn't helping a whole lot either way this coming season and Kavanaugh would.

I don't know for sure but I can't imagine TT is important enough that the staff would have ever hesitated to accept Kavanaugh if he wanted to transfer nor could I imagine them asking him to wait for TT to commit first. That would make no sense since TT isn't helping a whole lot either way this coming season and Kavanaugh would.
TT won't help much this season, but he's an important piece for the long term.

Agreed. But its no guarantee he will come here so way pass on bringing in a player that will help right away and waiting on a guy who has seemed set to commit for quite some time but is apparently in a texas stand off with his mom.

I'd be shocked if the staff told Cavanaugh no to keep the TT options open. JB is in win now mode, and he knows that this team is probably his best shot at a national title.

I'd be shocked if the staff told Cavanaugh no to keep the TT options open. JB is in win now mode, and he knows that this team is probably his best shot at a national title.
Cavanaugh would have been a luxury, not a necessity. I think JB feels he can win with the group he has, and I also think he wants to leave the team in the best possible shape for when Hop takes over.

Cavanaugh would have been a luxury, not a necessity. I think JB feels he can win with the group he has, and I also think he wants to leave the team in the best possible shape for when Hop takes over.

Adding a player for one season that will help you and adds another shooter is a no brainier when you have the space. He's not here because he decided he'd prefer to go back to GW. I don't really understand your point of view on this one. Sorry.

Adding a player for one season that will help you and adds another shooter is a no brainier when you have the space. He's not here because he decided he'd prefer to go back to GW. I don't really understand your point of view on this one. Sorry.
16248513-mmmain.jpg

We have a serious need for shooting right now. We have 1 good shooter (Lydon), possibly another one (Gillon), and a question mark (Battle). It's really hard to win with 2.5 shooters on the floor. Not saying it can't be done, but Cavanaugh would have filled a need--he wouldn't have been a luxury piece.

We have a serious need for shooting right now. We have 1 good shooter (Lydon), possibly another one (Gillon), and a question mark (Battle). It's really hard to win with 2.5 shooters on the floor. Not saying it can't be done, but Cavanaugh would have filled a need--he wouldn't have been a luxury piece.
I wanted him on the team as much as anyone. Just wondering why he made this decision yesterday.

We really could have used another shooter, so I think it would been more than a luxury.

If he comes this year and is eligible he will be a big factor for THIS SEASON!! Consider deapth and injuries and that foul trouble our big guys get into with regularityÇhukwu flanked by Roberson,Lydon and Moyer and Coleman off the bench along with Tauren who could step into the 5or 4. The rebounding possibilities are off the scale.Frontcourt points would be an expected. Defense and offense would be there for Jimmy to shuffle as he sees fit. Taurean is that important for NOW!!