Travers - Arrogate | Syracusefan.com

Travers - Arrogate

Toga

Living Legend
Wow. His coming out party. Broke the Travers and track record under a hand ride for the last furlong by Mike Smith. This horse is a thing of beauty. Look at his smooth powerful stride as finishes off the field. Potential superstar.

Wow. His coming out party. Broke the Travers and track record under a hand ride for the last furlong by Mike Smith. This horse is a thing of beauty. Look at his smooth powerful stride as finishes off the field. Potential superstar.

I told all my buddies I was at the track with not to sleep on the one horse. Every year there is some horse that you don't even give the time of day to and then he wins and you have to go back and take a look at the racing form. I said there was no way Baffert didn't ship this horse east with Mike Smith if he didn't know something. I bet him in exactas and triples with the favorites but not straight up like one of my friends did after hearing what I was saying. He ran a fantastic race.

I had the wrong baffert horse who ran 2nd...( the 2 horse) Thought he ran a huge Haskell when he got beat by exaggerator. This race and frosted on met mile were two most impressive of the year. Going to be a great breeders cup classic.. Chrome is running at an all time level right now as well. He will be the one to beat

I had the wrong baffert horse who ran 2nd...( the 2 horse) Thought he ran a huge Haskell when he got beat by exaggerator. This race and frosted on met mile were two most impressive of the year. Going to be a great breeders cup classic.. Chrome is running at an all time level right now as well. He will be the one to beat
At least when Frosted ran a freakishly fast Met (in terms of whatever speed figure you choose to look at), he had long established he was a horse of tremendous ability. This Baffert horse was lightly raced and had previously beaten small fields without giving any indication he might be a superhorse. Something smells a bit funny about that performance.

At least when Frosted ran a freakishly fast Met (in terms of whatever speed figure you choose to look at), he had long established he was a horse of tremendous ability. This Baffert horse was lightly raced and had previously beaten small fields without giving any indication he might be a superhorse. Something smells a bit funny about that performance.
Didn't race as a 2 year old because he was "too gangly". Maybe he didn't fill out enough to warrant participating in the Triple Crown. Looked more than physically solid at Saratoga. Who knows. Looked like a super horse on Saturday.

Didn't race as a 2 year old because he was "too gangly". Maybe he didn't fill out enough to warrant participating in the Triple Crown. Looked more than physically solid at Saratoga. Who knows. Looked like a super horse on Saturday.
Good points. But you don't typically see a full field of very nice horses, most in good form coming into the race, all beaten 15, 20 or more lengths at the end on a dry race track that seemed to be playing fairly during the card.

I see your point for sure, 1 race does not a superhorse make..Horses freak all the time. That said, 3 year old horse is still a baby in my book, they all mature and plateau at different points. Look at Mohaymen, super 2 year old, great early 3 year old, seems to have hit the ceiling. That said, they will turn him out, bring him back as a 4 year old and see what happens. Baffert has the best stock in the game, not really surprising that he could have a late developing 3 year old who he elects to take his time with, he has had quite a few before. If owner's don't like it, he will simply say take your horse onto another trainer. A less accomplished trainer might feel the pressure to accelerate the horses training.. Why rush a 3 year old to the triple crown, when you already have 3-4 already there every year. Look at the run he had with Bayern who peaked late in his 3 year old season, went down hill after that. Other horses such Wise Dan, California Chrome were are twice the race horse at 5 that we was at 3. Zenyatta was a late runner as well. People put too much emphasis on the Classics which like I said, IMO 3 year olds are still babies. Ages 4-7 are the prime years, IMO. Definitely 4-6. 7 maybe. Winner of the ballerina is a 5 year old mare just coming into her own.

Something smelling in the game is always a concern for sure, I get that

Good points. But you don't typically see a full field of very nice horses, most in good form coming into the race, all beaten 15, 20 or more lengths at the end on a dry race track that seemed to be playing fairly during the card.
Well either he's Willie Mays or ARod. He looked like he could have gone another quarter no problem. Such a strong smooth stride.

Well either he's Willie Mays or ARod. He looked like he could have gone another quarter no problem. Such a strong smooth stride.

Baffert is also bringing Cupid back into the mix slowly, who fell off the derby trail after the AK derby and has come back strong as well, after throat surgery. Look at Lord Nelson from last year another horse he took off derby trail, who is now a monster and a great 6F-7F distance type horse, he is a the best trainer but he also has the best stock, IMO. Chad Brown probably best grass trainer though but again he probably has best grass stock

I see your point for sure, 1 race does not a superhorse make..Horses freak all the time. That said, 3 year old horse is still a baby in my book, they all mature and plateau at different points. Look at Mohaymen, super 2 year old, great early 3 year old, seems to have hit the ceiling. That said, they will turn him out, bring him back as a 4 year old and see what happens. Baffert has the best stock in the game, not really surprising that he could have a late developing 3 year old who he elects to take his time with, he has had quite a few before. If owner's don't like it, he will simply say take your horse onto another trainer. A less accomplished trainer might feel the pressure to accelerate the horses training.. Why rush a 3 year old to the triple crown, when you already have 3-4 already there every year. Look at the run he had with Bayern who peaked late in his 3 year old season, went down hill after that. Other horses such Wise Dan, California Chrome were are twice the race horse at 5 that we was at 3. Zenyatta was a late runner as well. People put too much emphasis on the Classics which like I said, IMO 3 year olds are still babies. Ages 4-7 are the prime years, IMO. Definitely 4-6. 7 maybe. Winner of the ballerina is a 5 year old mare just coming into her own.

Something smelling in the game is always a concern for sure, I get that
You are absolutely right about how horses develop in many different ways. What raised my eyebrows Saturday was the margin back to very good horses with established form. This was not a track that was heavily biased toward inside speed like we've seen at Santa Anita on a few Breeders Cup days in the past. That, and the fact that Arrogate had never signalled this brilliance in any previous races. Maybe the summer air and the track at Saratoga just agreed with him.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right about how horses develop in a many different ways. What raised my eyebrows Saturday was the margin back to very good horses with established form. This was not a track that was heavily biased toward inside speed like we've seen at Santa Anita on a few Breeders Cup days in the past. That, and the fact that Arrogate had never signalled this brilliance in any previous races. Maybe the summer air and the track at Saratoga just agreed with him.

Speed of the speed, speed horses that get loose on the lead can really get away like he did. Once Laoban was put away by the two Baffert's it was pretty much a race for 3rd. In addition, not too many horses out there that will consistently hand a 122 beyer speed figure, so sure it probably will be the best race he has ever run, much like the Met Mile will be Frosted's but Arrogate still has to prove how good. I will say that Unbridled Song's ( Arrogate sire) are not know to hold up over the years as well as other stallions either so it will be interesting..

Arrogate while never really tested had some impressive races going in, fact that Mike Smith was riding him too as opposed to Bejarano was interesting, rumor is that Rafael preferred Arrogate, now I see why

Last edited:
yep, a true Horse Racing Fan's, horserace.

I thought Gun Runner once again turned in a solid performance as well, I wonder if they will run him on the grass at some point...

Halfway through the race, I started thinking that maybe the one horse was brought to be a rabbit for the two horse. That thought didn't stay in my head very long. Arrogate just kept running and running. I wish Mike Smith was a regular rider at Saratoga. The guy had a great season in such a short period of time.
Wilkin: For jockey Mike Smith, a memorable Spa summer

Four Grade I wins for $1.8 million. Not too shabby.
Jockeys

Halfway through the race, I started thinking that maybe the one horse was brought to be a rabbit for the two horse. That thought didn't stay in my head very long. Arrogate just kept running and running. I wish Mike Smith was a regular rider at Saratoga. The guy had a great season in such a short period of time.
Wilkin: For jockey Mike Smith, a memorable Spa summer

Four Grade I wins for $1.8 million. Not too shabby.
Jockeys

Hear you on mike smith, he's ridden some serious horses past 10 years. Zenyatta, shared belief, bird song.

The rabbit was in the Sword dancer, don't really think the winner really needed but was a bit much if you ask me, that and a horrible ride by Irad on 2nd favorite paved the way for flintshire. Irad checked his horse something fierce on last turn, just looked really weird

Last edited:
So are you saying I probably shouldn't have thrown out my tickets yesterday.
Even if changes are made to the official order of finish and purse money is redistributed, no changes would be made to the parimutuel payoffs.

Even if changes are made to the official order of finish and purse money is redistributed, no changes would be made to the parimutuel payoffs.

Yep, once race is official, tickets are what they are. Reminds me of the Breeder's Classic two years ago, I had toast of NY in my pick 4 did not have Bayern, my $2 pick 4 bet would have paid $42,500 if they took Bayern down, they did not. I could have cried, scratch that I think I actually did.

Heading to Saratoga Monday for the closer...

Enjoy, IB. Up here now, heading back tomorrow. Perfect weather, good time to be up here. Rough meet betting wise, but that's part of the game. Hope springs eternal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom