Trevor Cooney Videos.... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trevor Cooney Videos....

Cooney has always been a good practice shooter IMO. I think his biggest issue has been taking bad shots over his career. He generally has taken 2-3 really bad 3's per game over the last couple of seasons. He also tends to run hot and cold, hasn't shown enough off the dribble and pull up to gain space on defenders and has suffered from being on offensive teams that make it easy for the defense to stick to him. Cooney would be a great 4th option and a good 3rd option as he is so long as the team fielded other deep threats. He's just not a creator of offense, he's a recipient of it who could really kill it if he played on a well balanced offensive team.

Cooney has always been a good practice shooter IMO. I think his biggest issue has been taking bad shots over his career. He generally has taken 2-3 really bad 3's per game over the last couple of seasons. He also tends to run hot and cold, hasn't shown enough off the dribble and pull up to gain space on defenders and has suffered from being on offensive teams that make it easy for the defense to stick to him. Cooney would be a great 4th option and a good 3rd option as he is so long as the team fielded other deep threats. He's just not a creator of offense, he's a recipient of it who could really kill it if he played on a well balanced offensive team.

I haven't seen 2 to 3 really bad shots per game from him. A couple bad ones every 4 or 5 games? Yes, but half or more of his attempts per game are not bad ones.

When Cooney drives one of 3 things happens
-Bricks a layup
-Throws it away
-Gets bailed out with by a foul

He almost never finishes at the rim. He needs to drive hard, but pull up for a 10 foot jumper. He gets in way too deep with nowhere to go

When Cooney drives one of 3 things happens
-Bricks a layup
-Throws it away
-Gets bailed out with by a foul

He almost never finishes at the rim. He needs to drive hard, but pull up for a 10 foot jumper. He gets in way too deep with nowhere to go
He started the year driving very solidly but as the year went on he drove baseline to much last year he needs to drive the middle of the lane to use the backboard, and when you are on the left side its tough not having a left hand finish to go away from the bigs in the paint instead of into them at times.

Crazy thought but Kaleb might be more up for the left hand finish this year, and with him and gbinije attacking the rim and with the speed up dribble drive and short passing game they have, it might be better to push Cooney on the right more this year. Especially if Kalebs midrange shot comes along. Just food for thought.

I haven't seen 2 to 3 really bad shots per game from him. A couple bad ones every 4 or 5 games? Yes, but half or more of his attempts per game are not bad ones.

Perhaps I'm overstating and its more like an average of 1.5 per game. Seriously though he takes shots that he makes at a ridiculously low rate like 1 out of 40. I'm talking the not set, moving sideways, no space, too deep shots. If he eliminated those shots from his game even if it was just 1 per game he'd be shooting right where you expect a shooter to be.

Career: 189-575 33% in 104 games. Take the one of these types of shots away per game and its 189-471 40%. My original point was that his 3pt shooting percentage is pretty good when he's taking good shots its the bad shots that kill it and the fact that he is not really a creator of offense. He's best suited as a recipient of offense on a team that has other offensive creators.

I am the biggest Cooney supporter out there. I love his character and work ethic and I still go bananas everytime he shoots like its a guaranteed 3 points.

But he def has kind of a hitch on his jumper and for a (white) guy with a 40 inch vert, he doesnt jump at all on his layups or even his jumpers. He looks like he is carrying a bag of weights around his shoulders. and he actually also looks like he has the bag of weights when he is running around the chairs about to catch a pass and shoot.

Perhaps I'm overstating and its more like an average of 1.5 per game. Seriously though he takes shots that he makes at a ridiculously low rate like 1 out of 40. I'm talking the not set, moving sideways, no space, too deep shots. If he eliminated those shots from his game even if it was just 1 per game he'd be shooting right where you expect a shooter to be.

Career: 189-575 33% in 104 games. Take the one of these types of shots away per game and its 189-471 40%. My original point was that his 3pt shooting percentage is pretty good when he's taking good shots its the bad shots that kill it and the fact that he is not really a creator of offense. He's best suited as a recipient of offense on a team that has other offensive creators.

The shots your describing I honestly just don't see that often. Putting up threes while drifting because you're coming off a screen just comes with the territory I think; I can't think of any good volume shooters who can avoid it. Even Rautins, who was particularly good at squaring up, would drift on some attempts. I agree Cooney could limit his number of contested attempts, but I wouldn't consider a contested jumper an awful shot.

The shots your describing I honestly just don't see that often. Putting up threes while drifting because you're coming off a screen just comes with the territory I think; I can't think of any good volume shooters who can avoid it. Even Rautins, who was particularly good at squaring up, would drift on some attempts. I agree Cooney could limit his number of contested attempts, but I wouldn't consider a contested jumper an awful shot.

The shots I'm talking about were usually a combination or 2 or 3 of those factors I mentioned. Rautins was great as squaring up coming off the screen, but you are right even he drifted a bit. Cooney seems to drift much more IMO.

I am the biggest Cooney supporter out there. I love his character and work ethic and I still go bananas everytime he shoots like its a guaranteed 3 points.

But he def has kind of a hitch on his jumper and for a (white) guy with a 40 inch vert, he doesnt jump at all on his layups or even his jumpers. He looks like he is carrying a bag of weights around his shoulders. and he actually also looks like he has the bag of weights when he is running around the chairs about to catch a pass and shoot.

Both my arms go up in the air every time he shoots, like I know it's going to go in. Fortunately the first half of the 2013-2014 season I looked smart, since, not so much.

The shots I'm talking about were usually a combination or 2 or 3 of those factors I mentioned. Rautins was great as squaring up coming off the screen, but you are right even he drifted a bit. Cooney seems to drift much more IMO.

Rautins had some isolation game as well as a senior. He learned to pull up over his defender when they were both at a standstill. I see Cooney using a lean more to score over them he has to. He will never have the jab step like Devendorf, Joseph, Anthony showed, Nor the Elevation of a Southerland Nichols Anthony.

Last edited:
I love Cooney and Roberson, but I don't feel they have earned a preseason set in stone 35 mpg. 30-33 range definitely though.

Gbinije I give a less >1% chance to not getting more then 33.0 mpg, but I might touch Cooney and Roberson up closer to the 8-15% range. While we have Gbinije as a hybrid adding to more minutes for both, alittle pressure to play hard for quality over quantity isn't necessarily a bad thing. Senior Scoop Jardine was cut from 32 to 25 minutes his senior year and played the game at a much quicker and aggressive pace on the floor.

Especially if Lydon or Malachi suprise to be closer to the 10ppg range or Lydon suprises defensively, and Kaleb plays the game at a fast pace.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom