Truthfully... | Syracusefan.com

Truthfully...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I am fed up with and tired of all the annual drama surrounding the program.

What was so important that we had to violate rules ???

Why doesn't our staff learn where the lines are ??

Why do we let dufus players ruin our reputation and put our program at risk ?? We made Fab re-eligible only so that he could screw up again ???

Why didn't Jimmy learn his lessons from the previous probation that set us back five years in a big way ???

No, I am not defending the NCAA at all. I have previously criticized their inconsistency and their leniency when it really mattered (Pedofile State). They deserve no respect, and now they hold a hammer over our heads.

However, an investigation over a ten year period shows we are not dealing with an isolated inadvertant messup. If we have, in fact, had continuous violations over that period of time that is on the Coach - as simple as that.

As great as Jimmy is in many respects he is not above the law and he should have known better if we are in fact guilty of multiple violations over a prolonged period of time.

I would like to think that we are good enough to play by the rules and still contend, maybe, I am living in never never land here in NM.

Why do we let dufus players ruin our reputation and put our program at risk ?? We made Fab re-eligible only so that he could screw up again ???

Why didn't Jimmy learn his lessons from the previous probation that set us back five years in a big way ???

No, I am not defending the NCAA at all. I have previously criticized their inconsistency and their leniency when it really mattered (Pedofile State). They deserve no respect, and now they hold a hammer over our heads.

However, an investigation over a ten year period shows we are not dealing with an isolated inadvertant messup. If we have, in fact, had continuous violations over that period of time that is on the Coach - as simple as that.

As great as Jimmy is in many respects he is not above the law and he should have known better if we are in fact guilty of multiple violations over a prolonged period of time.

I would like to think that we are good enough to play by the rules and still contend, maybe, I am living in never never land here in NM.

I agree in the main, but you don't know the level or severity of the allegations. Investigating for a ten year period might show that we actually didn't do much, and they had to go back that far to amass sufficient infractions to even build a case.

Like you, I'm tired of the drama surrounding the program. But don't give in to despair--let's see what the hearing reveals before jumping off the ledge.

Last edited:
Personally in a major sports program fball/bball I'd prefer the coaches responsibilities are coaching and recruiting. There is money to have compliance guys tell them what they can and cannot do as far as recruiting. There is money to have academic advisors deal with the classes and eligibility. I understand that some blame still comes down on the head guy but honestly I'd rather someone else deals with all these other things and deals with keeping the coaches abreast of these issues regularly.

I must be pretty out of the loop with pop culture. I think I've vaguely heard of Jadakiss and I have no knowledge of Denzel's issues. I'm lost on this one guys.

Five? I think probation set us back over a decade - until Troy Weaver's miracle recruits came in, matured, and were joined by Carmelo.

Anyway, every elite program cheats like mad. How'd Syracuse managed to get flagged again? Stay tuned.

I doubt that any of the violations have to do with recruiting and gaining an advantage. My guess is that this is mostly about tutors doing school work for athletes and possibly some academic shenanigans where athletes were allowed leniency and extra time to make up work by some profs that regular students would not be allowed. You can say JB and staff should have been aware of this but in reality they can't watch these kids 24 hours a day. How would the coach know if a tutor wrote a paper for a player? There are supposed to be academic support services people who should know what is going on and stop it and make sure the rules are complied with. That wasn't happening and the University has taken steps to change that. It remains to be seen how severe the NCAA punishment will be. It will likely be more than a slap on the wrist but I'm hoping since the school was proactive in making changes that it won't be a hammer job.

Five? I think probation set us back over a decade - until Troy Weaver's miracle recruits came in, matured, and were joined by Carmelo.

Anyway, every elite program cheats like mad. How'd Syracuse managed to get flagged again? Stay tuned.

Yeah, from 1993-1994 season to 2001-2002. 7 NCAA Tournament appearances, 3 Sweet 16's, and a Final Four.

Set back, what ?

OttoMets said:
Five? I think probation set us back over a decade - until Troy Weaver's miracle recruits came in, matured, and were joined by Carmelo. Anyway, every elite program cheats like mad. How'd Syracuse managed to get flagged again? Stay tuned.
didn't we play in a final four in 1996? We had some pretty good players in the mid late 1990s.

To me getting John Wallace kept us going through that first probation. Yes there were some lean years, just look at who we had surrounding Wallace, but I recall probation was 93/94 and we were in the FF in 96. That kind of propelled us forward again in recruiting if I recall.

To me getting John Wallace kept us going through that first probation. Yes there were some lean years, just look at who we had surrounding Wallace, but I recall probation was 93/94 and we were in the FF in 96. That kind of propelled us forward again in recruiting if I recall.

Retaining Wallace, and Moten being better than anybody could have expected when we recruited him, really helped keep us afloat during those first few post-probation years.

The spectre of that !@#$ NCAA investigation, which similarly took nearly two years, really hurt our program on the recruiting trail for awhile.

Ironically the UCONN Huskies were built during that time frame.

didn't we play in a final four in 1996? We had some pretty good players in the mid late 1990s.

Yes, we did play in a Final Four. That was great fun.

Probation also killed our recruiting for a decade and our on-court success declined considerably (.737 in the eleven seasons before probation was announced, .704 in the eleven seasons after). We really struggled to get good players (we had no McDonald's players between John Wallace in 1992 and Carmelo Anthony in 2002).

I loved a lot of those teams (1994 and 1996 especially), but they were short on talent, especially later in the decade, as a result of our punishment.

He saved our program. He's awesome.

But the only recruiting bump we got from 1996 was, unfortunately, Winfred Walton. And so we floundered for awhile, with a nice year in 2000 due to great play from a bunch of under-the-radar recruits, three of whom were seniors.

I doubt that any of the violations have to do with recruiting and gaining an advantage. My guess is that this is mostly about tutors doing school work for athletes and possibly some academic shenanigans where athletes were allowed leniency and extra time to make up work by some profs that regular students would not be allowed. You can say JB and staff should have been aware of this but in reality they can't watch these kids 24 hours a day. How would the coach know if a tutor wrote a paper for a player? There are supposed to be academic support services people who should know what is going on and stop it and make sure the rules are complied with. That wasn't happening and the University has taken steps to change that. It remains to be seen how severe the NCAA punishment will be. It will likely be more than a slap on the wrist but I'm hoping since the school was proactive in making changes that it won't be a hammer job.

And that academic support supervisor was fired after the Southerland suspension.

Yeah, from 1993-1994 season to 2001-2002. 7 NCAA Tournament appearances, 3 Sweet 16's, and a Final Four.

Set back, what ?

Set-back. As in:

.793 winning percentage from 1985 to 1991. Six McDonald's recruits.
.696 winning percentage from 1991 to 1997. One McDonald's recruit (who, of course, deserves mention: John Wallace, who saved our program).

You know, that set-back. The one that every Syracuse fan who watched those teams recognized.

He saved our program. He's awesome.

But the only recruiting bump we got from 1996 was, unfortunately, Winfred Walton. And so we floundered for awhile, with a nice year in 2000 due to great play from a bunch of under-the-radar recruits, three of whom were seniors.

Yes better memory than me. You are correct there was some slim pickings for a while after that.

Set-back. As in:

.793 winning percentage from 1985 to 1991. Six McDonald's recruits.
.696 winning percentage from 1991 to 1997. One McDonald's recruit (who, of course, deserves mention: John Wallace, who saved our program).

You know, that set-back. The one that every Syracuse fan who watched those teams recognized.

A lot of programs would kill for our set back years. Over all SU bball has been pretty damn easy to cheer for.

Last edited:
Yes better memory than me. You are correct there was some slim pickings for a while after that.

Man, I liked Sam Spann and Greg Davis as much as the next guy, but...yikes.

Wasn't the 97 recruiting class very highly rated?

That's a good question for someone with better research skills than I have. A quantity class, with a top-ten (I think?) player.

Walton
Hart
Lloyd
Howard
Thomas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online