Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery/entertains local celebrities from his hospital room. Get well soon Dan.

Recruiting

sddefault.jpg

2015 Combo Guard Frank Howard Verbals to Syracuse (PS; Ditota)

Frank Howard, the 6-foot-5 combination guard from Paul VI Catholic High School in Fairfax, Va., has selected Syracuse as his college basketball destination.

Howard, a high school junior, made a verbal commitment to the Orange during a television appearance on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic Monday night. He picked SU from a final list that included Maryland, Georgetown, Virginia, N.C. State and Ohio State.

In doing so, Howard becomes the third player in the Class of 2015 to commit to the Orange. Shooting guard Malachi Richardson and forward Tyler Lydon had already pledged their allegiance to SU.

He cited Jim Boeheim and Syracuse's ability to develop guards among his reasons for picking the Orange.

"Basically, just the family environment," Howard said. "I wanted to [see] a little campus life around the basketball program, a very strong fan base and basically somewhere I'd want to be for four years."...

screen_shot_2014-04-14_at_7.23.54_pm.png

Paul VI Guard Franklin Howard Commits to Syracuse (Video; comcast/csnbaltimore; Martin)

Paul VI (Va.) 2015 guard Franklin Howard has committed to play his college basketball for head coach Jim Boeheim at Syracuse University, the senior-to-be announced on Comcast SportsNet’s SportsTalk Live with Brian Mitchell on Monday night.

Howard is ranked as the 58th-best player in the country from the Class of 2015, according to , and is rated as a four-star recruit. He chose Syracuse over finalists that include Maryland, Georgetown, Virginia, NC State, and Ohio State.

You can watch video of his announcement in the embedded video player above.

“It doesn’t get any better than Boeheim,” Howard told Mitchell after affixing a Syracuse hat to his head and announcing his commitment. “He’s top five coaches of all-time. It’s a top five program all-time. They’ve got great guard development at Syracuse, so I think I’ll fit in very well there.”...

13232167-standard.jpg

Meanwhile, Somewhere in New England, Kaleb Joseph is Preparing to Become SU's New Starting PG (DO; Hass)

Every morning Kaleb Joseph wakes up at 5:45 a.m., heads to the gym and makes 500 3-pointers before class.

It’s a routine Joseph started when he saw coaches questioning his shooting ability in an article. He takes 25 shots from each spot, and if he misses two in a row he sprints the length of the court. Three in a row and he has to start the 25 over.

“I want to go into next year proving I’m a more than capable 3-point shooter,” Joseph said.

Now that Tyler Ennis is heading to the NBA, Joseph, a senior at Cushing Academy (Ashburnham, Mass.), will likely be thrust into Syracuse’s starting point guard role as a freshman. Joseph’s wanted to start for the Orange ever since he was a kid, so he’s preparing to ensure his dream unfolds as planned.

“A great opportunity opened up,” Joseph said, “It didn’t really change what I planned on doing when I came to Syracuse, but it makes everything a little bit easier.”

Joseph’s morning routine never wavers. He wants to make sure he’s completely comfortable knocking down open 3s next season — something Ennis did in stretches, but was unable to do consistently throughout the season.

“It’s just about repetition,” Joseph’s high school teammate Idris Taqqee said. “He makes sure that he’s doing those things. I believe that he’s a good shooter.”

-7f9a316467b444da.JPG

Jerami Grant Bound for the NBA (PS; Waters)

Jerami Grant is headed to the NBA.

Syracuse University's athletic department released a statement from Grant this afternoon.

"After extensive discussions with my family and coaches, I have decided to pursue my dream of playing professional basketball and enter the 2014 NBA Draft," Grant announced. "I am so thankful to coach Boeheim and the rest of the Orange coaching staff for guiding me throughout my college career, and am grateful to my teammates for two incredible seasons. I am excited to start my journey in the NBA, but I also look forward to finishing my college degree. I cannot thank my coaches, teammates and the entire Orange community enough for all of their support."

The news of Grant's decision was first reported by Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated...

Life Without TE, JG and CJ (PS; Waters)
Syracuse University sophomore Jerami Grant announced on Monday that he would bypass his final two years of collegiate eligibility to enter this year's NBA draft.

The news of Grant's decision means that the Syracuse Orange will undergo some major personnel changes next season.

In addition to Grant's departure, Syracuse will also lose seniors C.J. Fair and Baye Moussa Keita plus Tyler Ennis. Ennis, the Orange's freshman point guard, announced two weeks ago that he would put his name into the NBA draft.

In light of the heavy losses, including the two NBA early entry candidates, here is a rundown of historical notes, interesting facts and other statistics.

Double early entries

For the second time in three years, Syracuse will have two players leaving school early to enter the NBA draft. In 2012, Dion Waiters and Fab Melo both left SU after their sophomore years. Waiters went with the No. 4 pick to Cleveland and Boston took Melo with the 22nd overall pick...

-60b772b0a9557b80.JPG

SU Sophomore To Be Tyler Roberson

Reaction to JG's Decision to Go Pro (PS; Axe)

• ESPN's Jeff Goodman says that Grant's decision will pay off as he is projected as a first-round pick. "The 6-foot-8 Grant is considered a first-round pick, and multiple NBA executives told ESPN.com that he will likely be taken in the 15-to-25 range of the June 26 NBA draft." ...

Will Syracuse Add a Transfer Now that JG Has Left for the NBA? (PS; Waters)

The news that Syracuse sophomore Jerami Grant will enter the NBA draft leaves a gaping hole in the Orange's lineup for next season.

Grant's decision further compounds the previous announcement from Syracuse freshman Tyler Ennis that he would make himself eligible for the NBA draft.

The departures of Grant, Ennis and graduating senior C.J. Fair means that Syracuse will be replacing three starters. Center Rakeem Christmas and shooting guard Trevor Cooney are the only returning starters for the Orange, which is coming off a 28-6 season this past year.

Even with Fair gone, the frontcourt figured to be an area of strength for Syracuse. The combination of Grant and Christmas would give the Orange a pair of experienced and talented frontline players...

Syracuse Basketball Forwards Photo Gallery (PS; Nett)

Jerami Grant Bound for the NBA, Where Challenges and a Pretty Good Starting Wage Await (PS Poliquin)

When last we saw Jerami Grant, he was planted in a Buffalo locker room looking pretty much like a guy who'd just watched a falling tree crash onto the hood of his car.

The kid was seriously dazed, very much confused and pleased not at all. His Syracuse University Orange had only minutes earlier been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament by an inferior Dayton outfit that had somehow managed to hold the 6-foot-8 Grant, the best athlete on the floor, to four points on three shots spread across 34 minutes.

Last edited:
The kid was seriously dazed, very much confused and pleased not at all. His Syracuse University Orange had only minutes earlier been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament by an inferior Dayton outfit that had somehow managed to hold the 6-foot-8 Grant, the best athlete on the floor, to four points on three shots spread across 34 minutes.

Wow... just wow. I guess it will be much easier to be impactful in the NBA. Everything rational would have seemed to point toward JG playing another year in the college ranks... except of course all those green things that the NBA teams are going to be willing to throw at him, and that my friends is all she wrote.

"He cited Jim Boeheim and Syracuse's ability to develop guards among his reasons for picking the Orange. "

One virtue of having our guards jump to the NBA. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom