Tuesday | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU

15451546-large.jpg

JB Says 4 ACC Schools on Exhibition Tours Will Benefit (PS; Waters)

Last summer, the Syracuse University basketball team played four exhibition games during an August tour of Canada.

The Orange won all four games, including a thrilling come-from-behind overtime win over Carleton University in Ottawa. The games didn't count and the season wouldn't start for another two months, but Syracuse benefitted greatly from the trip.

The four games plus the additional practices the NCAA grants teams that are playing international exhibitions helped Syracuse win its first 25 games of the season.

"It definitely helps,'' Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said of the opportunity to practice and then play games before the start of school. "It really helped us last year because we had a freshman point guard (Tyler Ennis). He got a really good experience.''

Peach Jam Recap: How did SU Recruits Fare in Big AAU Tournament? (PS; Ditota)

SU coach Jim Boeheim and his staff were in the gym to watch those prospects, plus any potential recruits from the 2016 class. Here's a performance breakdown of Richardson, Howard and Diagne at the Peach Jam:

Richardson, 6-foot-6, 190-pound shooting guard: Averaged 15 points per game. Shot 42 percent overall and 32 percent from the 3-point arc. Richardson, who has built a reputation on his shooting stroke, has struggled a bit this summer to get the deep perimeter ball to fall. He rebounded well from the shooting guard spot and averaged 2.2 steals per game. He committed a total of 13 turnovers in five games, but those numbers are somewhat deceptive. Richardson had seven turnovers in his first game at Peach Jam.

Frank Howard, 6-foot-6, 190-pound combo guard
:
Averaged 13.6 ppg. Shot 47 percent overall and 25 percent from the 3-point line. Howard, playing for the first time this summer since recovering from a torn ACL sustained last summer, had 13 assists and nine turnovers. He struggled at the free-throw line, where he converted just half of the 26 free throws he attempted. He missed his first four 3-point attempts, then sank three of his last eight. SU recruited him primarily as a combination guard who can provide insurance at the point guard spot.

Moustapha Diagne, 6-foot-9, 230-pound forward
: Averaged 9.4 points on 55 percent shooting. He also pulled down 8.4 rebounds per game and blocked 1.8 shots. Diagne, too, struggled at the line, missing half of the 24 shots he took there. As a member of the winning Playaz team, Diagne played eight games at Peach Jam. He teamed with Isaiah Briscoe, a one-time SU recruit who dominated stretches of action. Diagne had 10 points and seven rebounds vs. perhaps the best big man at the tournament, Ben Simmons, who went for 20 and 10 in that game. Diagne also lined up vs. Thomas Bryant and Team Scan. Diagne had 11 points and seven rebounds vs. Bryant's five points and six rebounds. Diagne, too, saved his best Peach Jam game for last: He scored 16, hauled in 14 rebounds and blocked six shots in the title game. He also sank all of his free throws.

15449116-mmmain.jpg

SU Announces Exhibition Games with Adrian and Old Friend Carleton in Early November (PS; Waters)

The Syracuse University men's basketball team will play in two exhibition games at the Carrier Dome prior to the 2014-15 season.

On Nov. 2, the Orange will host a familiar foe at the Dome. Syracuse will face Carleton, a team from Ottawa that the Orange played on its exhibition tour of Canada a year ago.

Carleton led Syracuse by 15 points in the second half of their game last August before the Orange rallied for a 69-65 overtime win.

Carleton has won four straight Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championships. The Ravens have been Canada's national champions in 10 of the past 12 years.

Former Players

former-syracuse-basketball-players-in-nba-summer-league-7d7b8950b0bcfd28.jpg

Jeff Ayres Guards Arinze Onuaku

How Did Former SU Players Do in the NBA Las Vegas Summer League? (PS; Waters)

The NBA's Las Vegas Summer League concludes tonight with the championship game between the Sacramento Kings and the Houston Rockets.

There will not be any former Syracuse University players in tonight's game. There was a total of six former Orange men who were on teams out in Las Vegas, from 2014 first-round pick Tyler Ennis to Arinze Onuaku, who was undrafted back in 2010.

None of them exactly hit the jackpot.

So who crapped out and who came away with some winnings? Here is a rundown of how each of the half-dozen former Syracuse players fared in Vegas.

TYLER ENNIS

Ennis, a 6-foot-2 point guard, appeared in five games for the Phoenix Suns, who selected him with the No. 18 pick in the NBA's draft back in June, and started all five. But he struggled out in Vegas.

15448106-mmmain.jpg

Donte Greene Was Tasered in the Rear End During Sunday Morning Brawl (PS; Carlson)

Donte Greene attacked professional football player Jo-Lonn Dunbar from behind early Sunday morning, forcing Miami Beach police to Taser him and charge him with battery, according to a Miami Beach police report.

Greene absorbed one prong of the Taser in his right buttocks and another in his lower back and endured 6-7 seconds of electrical current before falling to the ground and ending the altercation, according to the report

The report says that Dunbar and D'Metrique Greene, Donte's younger brother, were punching each other when Donte Greene approached Dunbar from behind and began punching him in the head and neck.

Donte Greene apologized for his actions according to police, saying, "I am sorry officer but this guy has been after me for years since I got into the NBA. He was beating my brother and I had to do what I did."

The report says police officers Tasered Greene because they feared for Dunbar's safety.

Dunbar told police "he was just defending himself from the other two," according to the report.

Other

15447861-mmmain.jpg

Breanna Stewart Has Stories From the ESPY Awards (PS; Ditota)

Breanna Stewart has long been a Kevin Durant fan. So last week, when she and her parents visited Los Angeles for the ESPY Awards, the former Cicero-North Syracuse star figured she might meet the Oklahoma City Thunder big man.

Alas, her own celebrity prevented that from happening.

"This was my problem," she said. "Right when he was coming in on the red carpet, I had my interview on ESPN."

That interview, unbeknownst to Stewart, would culminate with the presentation of her award for Best Female College Athlete. It occurred on the red carpet during events preceding the actual awards ceremony. And it took Stewart by surprise.

"I had no idea that was going to happen," she said. "The day before they were like, 'We've got something to do at 4:15 and then the interview with ESPN at 5.' I said, 'OK, whatever.' I wasn't expecting to be presented the award right then.

"I'm fine with it. I'm happy that I won," she added. "I've never received an ESPY before, so I had no idea that's what they did with certain awards."

It was a pity that some of the awards were given off stage. Of course, those comedy routines were more important.

Last edited: