Two horses die in first four races at Pimloco | Syracusefan.com

Two horses die in first four races at Pimloco

leadphoto.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/death-and-disarray-at-americas-racetracks.html?pagewanted=all

I try to get into the big races, but as an animal lover myself, its getting harder and harder to justify watching.

The irony is most of these horses would have never been born if not for breeding and horse racing.

People die every day too. Vast majority of race horses are well taken care of. The dog fighting line is so far over the top. Anytime you would like to see how poorly these athletes are taken care of, I would be happy to show you.

No getting around the break downs, it's unfortunate and happens. Lot of good still left in the game too though. These animals are not pets though.

Yes, it takes money to own race horses but not all owners and trainers are shiteheads. Vast majority of horses are taken off track when time is right and second careers or retirement spots found, but nobody ever wants to hear about anything good involved in horse racing anymore.

Like I said, there are issues, accidents, etc but still lot of good left too. I have been around it for a long long time.

Last edited:
People die every day too. Vast majority of race horses are well taken care of. The dog fighting line is so far over the top. Anytime you would like to see how poorly these athletes are taken care of, I would be happy to show you.

No getting around the break downs, it's unfortunate and happens. Lot of good still left in the game too though. These animals are not pets though.

Yes, it takes money to own race horses but not all owners and trainers are shiteheads. Vast majority of horses are taken off track when time is right and second careers or retirement spots found, but nobody ever wants to hear about anything good involved in horse racing anymore.

Like I said, there are issues, accidents, etc but still lot of good left to. I have been around it for a long long time.

I doubt 24 people die -- or are "euthanized" -- every week playing professional sports.

I doubt 24 people die -- or are "euthanized" -- every week playing professional sports.

I assure you that there are more horses and animals being mistreated at farms and at homes etc than on the racetrack. Like I said, I know because I'm much closer to the situation than you are.

Horses do get hurt and injured from racing and yes, euthanized. No disputing that. It happens. If you can't get past it then obviously you aren't a fan. I do understand that but They are bred to race and most love to run.

Last edited:
I assure you that there are more horses and animals being mistreated at farms and at homes etc than on the racetrack. Like I said, I know because I'm much closer to the situation than you are.

Horses do get hurt and injured from racing and yes, euthanized. No disputing that. It happens. If you can't get past it then obviously you aren't a fan. They are bred to race and most love to run.

Of course horses and animals are abused and mistreated at farms and homes and wherever. You're missing my point because, perhaps, you're "much closer to the situation than" I am.

My point is, I would love to watch the Preakness, I would love to watch the Derby, I would love to watch all the big races, I would love to go to Finger Lakes like I used to, but I chose to give it all up because I don't want to watch athletic events where too often the curtain comes out and a vet offs a beautiful animal or takes it out of view and whacks it after the animal hobbles around on three legs with one dangling.

I was a sportswriter for eight years, loved covering boxing because of the rich characters and great copy. I got sprayed with blood one time at press row at a fight in Cleveland, might've been one of Don King's first shows after he came back from "college." I became close with some world-class boxers, saw their faces up close after fights, saw over time what happened to their minds. Don't watch any more. Avoid the UCF like an STD. I choose to eschew violence and death as much as humanely possible. That simple.

Of course horses and animals are abused and mistreated at farms and homes and wherever. You're missing my point because, perhaps, you're "much closer to the situation than" I am.

My point is, I would love to watch the Preakness, I would love to watch the Derby, I would love to watch all the big races, I would love to go to Finger Lakes like I used to, but I chose to give it all up because I don't want to watch athletic events where too often the curtain comes out and a vet offs a beautiful animal or takes it out of view and whacks it after the animal hobbles around on three legs with one dangling.

I was a sportswriter for eight years, loved covering boxing because of the rich characters and great copy. I got sprayed with blood one time at press row at a fight in Cleveland, might've been one of Don King's first shows after he came back from "college." I became close with some world-class boxers, saw their faces up close after fights, saw over time what happened to their minds. Don't watch any more. Avoid the UCF like an STD. I choose to eschew violence and death as much as humanely possible. That simple.

Thanks for sharing this. The parallels to boxing fit well. Football is next.

Horse racing is a beautiful sport. The abuses behind the scene, though, are hard to ignore --and not just to the horses. The pay and care and housing of workers is also a blemish.

Thanks for sharing this. The parallels to boxing fit well. Football is next.
I was gonna mention football, too, but figured my post already was long enough.

I legitimately respect your view and consistency. I understand your opinions and share some of your concerns but I'm not willing to give up watching boxing, UFC, Football, or horse racing.

Like I said, there are issues, accidents, etc but still lot of good left too. I have been around it for a long long time.
Well stated.

24 horses out of how many ? do people complain about a cow dieing every week on the cow farms making the food we love to eat?

At least boxers and football players have a choice.

PETA would be proud of a response like this. I really wish people could experience some of the upside of racing. I'm shocked Nobody posted about Ben's cat a 10 year old race horse with an 82 year old trainer that won a stakes race at pimlico yesterday for the 4th year out of 5. A true war horse but nobody wants to hear about the upside. Great story but let's always focus on the negative with NYT story that is 4 years old

we still let people have cats and you see one almost day dead on the side of the road.

horses die on farms from non racing injuries too all the time. many are just peoples pets and they step in a hole, eat something wrong, get bit by the wrong animal.

in ny state 20+ die a year over all tracks and the thousands of races. i have gone to hundreds of meets and probably only seen 3-4 deaths. not every death is racing induced though, just like humans they have issues that are hard to spot.

i have seen more people die in car accidents maybe we should stop people from driving.

PETA would be proud of a response like this. I really wish people could experience some of the upside of racing. I'm shocked Nobody posted about Ben's cat a 10 year old race horse with an 82 year old trainer that won a stakes race at pimlico yesterday for the 4th year out of 5. A true war horse but nobody wants to hear about the upside. Great story but let's always focus on the negative with NYT story that is 4 years old
If people don't like the sport and the culture surrounding it, they should vote with their feet and ignore it. But knowingly spreading misinformation, as PETA has done repeatedly in an effort to defame the sport, is beyond the pale, particularly because so many media outlets are willing to blindly disseminate their propaganda.