two lists | Syracusefan.com

two lists

B

BillSU

List one below are names of finalists for the SU AD position last year

****Please note there are expanded resumes of all of last years finalists on the next page:

Martin Jarmond, Ohio State: Jarmond was reportedly a finalist for the Syracuse opening last year. Ironically, his name also came up as a possible candidate at Minnesota this spring.

Jarmond, 36, was recently promoted into the No. 2 position in the Ohio State athletic department. He now has the title of deputy director of athletics and chief of staff. Many see him as the eventual successor to current Ohio State AD Gene Smith.

Danny White, Buffalo: White seemed like an ideal candidate for the Syracuse job last year. He was overseeing a Division I program just down the New York State Thruway from Syracuse. He also had the bloodlines for the job. His father is Duke athletic director Kevin White.

But last November, White became the athletic director at Central Florida.

Would he leave UCF for Syracuse? His stay in Orlando would be even shorter than Coyle's stay in Syracuse.

Jim Schaus, Ohio University: Schaus was reportedly among the final list of names that the search firm presented to SU's nine-member search committee last year.

Schaus has been at Ohio since 2008. Prior to that, he spent nine years at Wichita State. While overseeing Ohio's many sports teams, Schaus has an extensive basketball background. He's a member of the NCAA tournament selection committee. He's also served on the rules committee. His father, the late Fred Schaus, was the basketball coach at Purdue and West Virginia and also coached the Los Angeles Lakers.

John Hardt, Bucknell: Hardt's name was part of SU's search last year and should be again this time around simply because he combines so many key facets to the job.

He knows Syracuse. He was hired as SU's first-even compliance director in 1992. He spent five years at Syracuse.

He knows the NCAA and compliance. Prior to coming to SU, Hardt worked for the NCAA as a compliance representative.

He knows football on all scales. He's overseen Bucknell's football program for 15 years, but he also was the associate AD at Michigan State and played on Iowa's 1982 Rose Bowl team.

Marty Scarano, New Hampshire: Syracuse is about to begin the process of building a new stadium or renovating the Carrier Dome, so it would make sense to hire an athletic director with experience in that area.

Scarano recently oversaw New Hampshire's campaign to raise funds to build a new $26 million football stadium. The facility is set to open this September.

It might be hard to pry Scarano away from New Hampshire. He's been there for 16 years.

As you can see, the first list exists of sitting school officials that have extensive experience in running athletics programs. That’s important for us. I believe you can’t hire someone based on popularity alone though everyone learns something new each day this is not a learn on the job position. They have to know what they’re doing and what’s expected of them going in. I only know what is reported here by Mike Waters of the Post Standard, and believe the strongest candidates are Jaramond, Hardt, Schaus, and a name from the second list, Joe Manhertz.

The second list is from Brent Axe’s results of a poll taken of your current candidates as of last weekend in no particular order:

Nick Carapelli

Jim Boeheim

John Hardt

Joe Manhertz

Pete Sala

Daryl Gross

Tom Coughlin

Dave Bing

Chris Gedney

Don McPherson

Tim Green

There are some obvious fan favorites here and all with NY state in their resumes and being effective would not be beyond their understanding of the position. Age matters here. I have doubts about Bing and Boeheim though Jim would be a great asset in fund raising. I don’t know whether or not he wants to stay in the arena or could put up with the political mannerisms of those close to him in that office of the board of trustees.

Dave is a great man but one who is staying in Detroit.

John Hardt is mentioned in the previous list and would be a great candidate for obvious reasons as is Joe Manhertz.

Everyone’s favorite is Carapelli. Climbed the ladder, knows sports has close SU ties as do all of the above, is smart and some media is saying this would be his dream job. I don’t think he’d be making what he is at UA but if he’s the one we’d be stupid not to offer him a very good package – and he’d be coming home - another thing I think is important here. Google research anyone? Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think Bing would opt to stay in Detroit? I would think, if anything, his age may be a factor, both for him and the school

Any of the first 5 would be fine on paper. Honestly, nobody really knows who these people are for the most part. If they had a clear #2 when Coyle was hired, just call them and see if still interested, unless someone new has come along in the past year.

Why would anyone want to hire somebody under qualified for a position. I run a construction business, I have guys that are diehard company guys but I wouldn't hire them for a lot of positions that I try to fill internally, why? Because they aren't QUALIFIED!!!!!

My understanding is that Jarmond was the second choice. Would not be surprised if he gets the nod now.

To me, at this point, there are are no major decisions that need to be made regarding coaching hires for a while, so acumen in that area is not a must.

I would think we would value proven ability to raise funds more than any other quality. The dome renovation project will be a major challenge to fund, and there are always going to be other athletic related projects that need money.

Not sure who is out there that is good at that, but I imagine SU has something looking for that quality right now...

Would be happy with any of the top 3 in the first list.

JB is an incredible HC, but being AD requires a completely different skill set. Besides, at his age, looking forward to retirement, I'd question if he would want to assume the stress, politics, travel etc. with being AD.
I don't believe that Jim has the temperament to be an AD. He has always left the non-"operational" responsibilities to other people. If you look back at the "scandals" on his watch, a recurring theme is that he had delegated the responsibility to another person and was not aware of the transgression.

I wanted White or Carparelli but whatever the Chancellor decides is fine.

I do agree with most in this thread raising $$$ is probably the most important think for the next AD. We have a brand new FB coach and the next BB coach is already decided. Lax alums would take care of any Lax openings.

Just hire the most competent fundraiser and person with good people skills.

Prior to joining OSU, Jarmond served as the Assistant Athletic Director for Development and Director of Regional Giving at Michigan State University. During his seven years, Jarmond helped the Spartan Fund set new fundraising records in each year of his tenure and was instrumental in the implementation of premium seating. He played an active role during the $1.2B Campaign for MSU, helping athletics raise over $126M. Seems to be just what we need?

BillSU said:
List one below are names of finalists for the SU AD position last year: Martin Jarmond, Ohio State: Jarmond was reportedly a finalist for the Syracuse opening last year. Ironically, his name also came up as a possible candidate at Minnesota this spring. Jarmond, 36, was recently promoted into the No. 2 position in the Ohio State athletic department. He now has the title of deputy director of athletics and chief of staff. Many see him as the eventual successor to current Ohio State AD Gene Smith. Danny White, Buffalo: White seemed like an ideal candidate for the Syracuse job last year. He was overseeing a Division I program just down the New York State Thruway from Syracuse. He also had the bloodlines for the job. His father is Duke athletic director Kevin White. But last November, White became the athletic director at Central Florida. Would he leave UCF for Syracuse? His stay in Orlando would be even shorter than Coyle's stay in Syracuse. Jim Schaus, Ohio University: Schaus was reportedly among the final list of names that the search firm presented to SU's nine-member search committee last year. Schaus has been at Ohio since 2008. Prior to that, he spent nine years at Wichita State. While overseeing Ohio's many sports teams, Schaus has an extensive basketball background. He's a member of the NCAA tournament selection committee. He's also served on the rules committee. His father, the late Fred Schaus, was the basketball coach at Purdue and West Virginia and also coached the Los Angeles Lakers. John Hardt, Bucknell: Hardt's name was part of SU's search last year and should be again this time around simply because he combines so many key facets to the job. He knows Syracuse. He was hired as SU's first-even compliance director in 1992. He spent five years at Syracuse. He knows the NCAA and compliance. Prior to coming to SU, Hardt worked for the NCAA as a compliance representative. He knows football on all scales. He's overseen Bucknell's football program for 15 years, but he also was the associate AD at Michigan State and played on Iowa's 1982 Rose Bowl team. Marty Scarano, New Hampshire: Syracuse is about to begin the process of building a new stadium or renovating the Carrier Dome, so it would make sense to hire an athletic director with experience in that area. Scarano recently oversaw New Hampshire's campaign to raise funds to build a new $26 million football stadium. The facility is set to open this September. It might be hard to pry Scarano away from New Hampshire. He's been there for 16 years. As you can see, the first list exists of sitting school officials that have extensive experience in running athletics programs. That’s important for us. I believe you can’t hire someone based on popularity alone though everyone learns something new each day this is not a learn on the job position. They have to know what they’re doing and what’s expected of them going in. I believe, and I only know what is reported here by Mike Waters of the Post Standard, believe the strongest candidates are Jaramond, Hardt, Schaus, and a name from the second list, Joe Manhertz. The second list is from Brent Axe’s results of a poll taken of your current candidates as of last weekend in no particular order: Nick Carapelli Jim Boeheim John Hardt Joe Manhertz Pete Sala Daryl Gross Tom Coughlin Dave Bing Chris Gedney Don McPherson Tim Green There are some obvious fan favorites here and all with NY state in their resumes and being effective would not be beyond their understanding of the position. Age matters here. I have doubts about Bing and Boeheim though Jim would be a great asset in fund raising. I don’t know whether or not he wants to stay in the arena or could put up with the political mannerisms of those close to him in that office of the board of trustees. Dave is a great man but one who is staying in Detroit. John Hardt is mentioned in the previous list and would be a great candidate for obvious reasons as is Joe Manhertz. Everyone’s favorite is Carapelli. Climbed the ladder, knows sports has close SU ties as do all of the above, is smart and some media is saying this would be his dream job. I don’t think he’d be making what he is at UA but if he’s the one we’d be stupid not to offer him a very good package – and he’d be coming home - another thing I think is important here. Google research anyone? Opinions?

Proof that most fans are idiots.

sutomcat said:
My understanding is that Jarmond was the second choice. Would not be surprised if he gets the nod now. To me, at this point, there are are no major decisions that need to be made regarding coaching hires for a while, so acumen in that area is not a must. I would think we would value proven ability to raise funds more than any other quality. The dome renovation project will be a major challenge to fund, and there are always going to be other athletic related projects that need money. Not sure who is out there that is good at that, but I imagine SU has something looking for that quality right now...
the "problem" there is that he just runs back to OSU once it opens up.

AZOrange said:
the "problem" there is that he just runs back to OSU once it opens up.

Smith is 60. He's been at OSU for 12 years.

How much longer does he stay there?

I don't believe that Jim has the temperament to be an AD. He has always left the non-"operational" responsibilities to other people. If you look back at the "scandals" on his watch, a recurring theme is that he had delegated the responsibility to another person and was not aware of the transgression.
I agree completely.
JB would also have to takr a significant pay cut.

I didn't realize fund raising was such a critical function within an AD position. Seems to me there would be a lot of people well qualified with other aspects of an AD's duties, but with an aversion (or lack of talent) for fund raising. If I were looking for qualities of an AD I'd be looking at budgeting, scheduling, academics, successful teams, etc., and a completely different (unique?) skill set for fund raising.

Since a good fund raiser would more than pay for their salary why would this not be a dedicated position reporting to the AD?

I didn't realize fund raising was such a critical function within an AD position. Seems to me there would be a lot of people well qualified with other aspects of an AD's duties, but with an aversion (or lack of talent) for fund raising. If I were looking for qualities of an AD I'd be looking at budgeting, scheduling, academics, successful teams, etc., and a completely different (unique?) skill set for fund raising.

Since a good fund raiser would more than pay for their salary why would this not be a dedicated position reporting to the AD?
Jason Poles is currently doing this function and Floyd too.

Why do you think Bing would opt to stay in Detroit? I would think, if anything, his age may be a factor, both for him and the school
His age, Detroit is where he lives and presides over five businesses comprising the Bing Group. There will be more on Dave Bing on the BB board soon.

JoeSU said:
JB is an incredible HC, but being AD requires a completely different skill set. Besides, at his age, looking forward to retirement, I'd question if he would want to assume the stress, politics, travel etc. with being AD.

Yeah I think part of this NCAA thing was setting a succession timetable. Following that but then sliding him up to AD would likely poke the bear.

I like the idea of Boeheim as AD. He is certainly smart enough and he knows the ropes.

But I keep thinking back to Joe Paterno as Penn State AD. He was a disaster.

I said it last time, and I think he's a better candidate this time. Tim Pernetti

Can't see any chance Kent considers Pernetti with what he's linked to (fair or not). Even still, he's a better candidate than the "Bleeds Orange" party nominees.

Hire the best person. If it's Jarmond, then don't worry about Ohio St when no one can control when it might open up. Even Carparelli carries risk of leaving- I mean if Maryland needed an AD, you don't think Plank would want him in place if he's so good?

> expanded information on finalists last year, the first - Martin Jarmond

By Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com The Post-Standard
Follow on Twitter

Martin Jarmond, Ohio State: Jarmond was reportedly a finalist for the Syracuse opening last year. Ironically, his name also came up as a possible candidate at Minnesota this spring.

Jarmond, 36, was recently promoted into the No. 2 position in the Ohio State athletic department. He now has the title of deputy director of athletics and chief of staff. Many see him as the eventual successor to current Ohio State AD Gene Smith. ////

Ohio State Athletics web site:

Martin Jarmond was appointed as Executive Associate AD, Administration in November, 2012. In his role, Jarmond has day to day oversight responsibilities in internal and external operations and business advancement of the athletics department. Jarmond is the sport administrator for Football, Men's Basketball, Baseball, Men's Golf, Women's Golf, Pistol, Rifle and Spirit Squads. He is also responsible for football scheduling. Jarmond also represents the athletics department as a member of the Senior Management Council, the university leadership group that provides counsel to the President's Council. Nationally, Jarmond serves on the inaugural College Football Playoff advisory committee, the NCAA Division 1 Women's Golf Championship committee and is a member of the McLendon post graduate scholarship committee.

Jarmond joined The Ohio State University in 2009 as the Associate Athletic Director for Development. His duties included oversight of the Buckeye Club, major gifts, stewardship and donor relations, gift processing and community relations. In this role, Jarmond led the athletics development team during the $2.5B "But For Ohio State..." campaign, raising over $120M in a three year span.

Prior to joining OSU, Jarmond served as the Assistant Athletic Director for Development and Director of Regional Giving at Michigan State University. During his seven years, Jarmond helped the Spartan Fund set new fundraising records in each year of his tenure and was instrumental in the implementation of premium seating. He played an active role during the $1.2B Campaign for MSU, helping athletics raise over $126M.

A native of Fayetteville, NC, Jarmond graduated from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington with a Bachelors degree in Communication Studies and a Minor in Leadership Studies in 2001. While at UNCW, he played basketball for the Seahawks, earning All-CAA Academic honors and helped guide the Seahawks to their first ever NCAA tournament appearance in 2000. Jarmond earned two Masters Degrees in Business Administration (2002) and Sports Administration (2003) from Ohio University in Athens, OH.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Jarmond or Manhertz.