Class of 2018 Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown)

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by retro44, Jan 8, 2017.

1. retro44

retro44 Women's Athletic Director

2. EastCoast2

EastCoast2 Board Mathematician

Class C varsity teams are basically Class AA freshman teams.

3. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

True. I'm not very high on bertram, but it's worth noting Lydon was at a C school until he went prep.

EastCoast2 likes this.
  4. EastCoast2

As with most things, there are outliers. I played at a AA school and would run into some class B and C players who started varsity, I don't know how good they would have been on my high school's JV team.

5. Newhouser

Newhouser 2nd String

I don't think Bertram is a D1 kid but he would get major minutes for most AA teams in Section 3

6. Deano

Deano All American

There was another player by the name of Seth Schaeffer that went to Cooperstown as well. Heck of a ball player and this kid is breaking all of his records. Also Schaeffer went on to play at Colgate with Adonal Folye. Seth had a nice career at Colgate. This kid will play D1 b-ball. Here is highlights from Stop DWI Tourney this year.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    OrangeDW, tee1222 and Cusefan0307 like this.
  7. patcuse

patcuse Walk On

The total enrollment of the smaller classes A B C and D is larger than class AA.
    So on average you will find better players in the smaller classes.

8. EastCoast2

Is this a serious statement?

OrangeDW and orangefog like this.
  9. patcuse

patcuse Walk On

Obviously AA has the stronger teams because of their enrollment size. But the small schools
    As a whole have larger total enrollment. Not that hard to understand.

10. gmacfor3

gmacfor3 Walk On

Bertram may not be Syracuse material, but he does already have D1 teams courting him. Has visited St. Bona and at least one other low D1 school. He obviously wouldn't be putting up the same numbers at the AA hs level, but he'd still be pretty damn tough. Just scored 40 yesterday in his team's win over Class A state ranked Indian River. He plans on prepping next year and will likely have his pick amongst all the big prep schools in New England. Great kid too. Just because he goes to a small school doesn't mean he can't play.

11. EastCoast2

I still can't tell if this is a serious statement. AA schools have by far better teams and much better players. China has more high school students than America, do you think they produce better college football players?

orangefog likes this.
  12. Robert Dye

Robert Dye Walk On

T
    There is football in China?

13. patcuse

patcuse Walk On

jd alone has more d1 basketball players than the 12 AA schools combined.

14. EastCoast2

JD is an outlier, and you proved my point, how many D1 players came from B, C, and D?

Your argument that 1,000 class B, C, D players are equal to 1,000 class A players is incorrect, and so is your "on average" comment. Basketball players growing up in Cooperstown, Potsdam, or Massena are not the same as basketball players growing up near Syracuse, Mount Vernon, Long Island, or Rochester. The competition they play against from ages 5-18 is different.

15. 81South

81South 2016 Iggy Winner

Where does he play AAU ball? That will ultimately show what he is capable of at the next level.

16. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

City Rocks with lots of board favorites. Big year for a bunch of guys on this roster.

16u EYBL

17. TheGov3304

TheGov3304 Walk On

Great competition in the above video (Sarcasm). This is not taking anything away from the kid, he looks like a solid Colgate or Lemoyne type player. ACC basketball is just a different level of athlete and player.

In my opinion, Joe Cremo from Scotia (Class A) was a better overall player than Bertram and he went to Albany---No disrespect to Albany (D1 Basketball) but in comparison to ACC basketball it isn't even a conversation.

The school does not reflect whether a kid can play or not. I have seen great players from all size schools throughout the years. Remember, there was once a guy named Larry Bird - his school wasn't too big

18. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

Yup. I played in class D(laugh all you want), we went to states, we had one guy go to Mercer on my high school team. Our girls team also beat 2 double AA schools when I was younger and in all honesty if someone is good enough at a public high school now they usually transfer to prep schools.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  19. patcuse

patcuse Walk On

So are you trying to say Larry Bird couldn't play AA high school basketball in CNY

two3zone likes this.
  20. TheGov3304

TheGov3304 Walk On

No, I am saying that great players come from all school sizes. So I was essentially defending small schools by making a reference to the fact that Larry Legend went to a very small school.