Tyler Ennis on NBA TV | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis on NBA TV

Am I missing something so far? The Suns have played 3 preseason games and Ennis is dead last in minutes played. Is he coming off an injury that I missed? I don't follow the NBA closely.

Am I missing something so far? The Suns have played 3 preseason games and Ennis is dead last in minutes played. Is he coming off an injury that I missed? I don't follow the NBA closely.

No injury - he's the 4th PG and isn't good enough right now.

Reality is he was no where close to being ready to play in the NBA - he's needs to develop a lot - he chose to develop in the D league rather than at Cuse - who knows if it's a good or bad decision for him - certainly bad for us

i think the nba is generally more willing to be patient with developing a young big man. but I don't think they have a whole lot of patience for developing guards. smallish guards with average athleticism and below average shooting are a dime a dozen, I think ennis is in trouble here.

orangehomer said:
i think the nba is generally more willing to be patient with developing a young big man. but I don't think they have a whole lot of patience for developing guards. smallish guards with average athleticism and below average shooting are a dime a dozen, I think ennis is in trouble here.

This is exactly where I struggle. On this board for years and years I have said: "Any kid who can get early to mid 1st rd money should go." Freaking kills me because I want these guys to stay. But the reality is...they should take the money. What kills me is exactly this scenario. I could be and hope to be completely wrong, but Ennis took what I think is potential max value for him in the draft. Maybe he sticks around a year or two and improves, but he's never going top 3 because of his size.

44cuse

This is exactly where I struggle. On this board for years and years I have said: "Any kid who can get early to mid 1st rd money should go." Freaking kills me because I want these guys to stay. But the reality is...they should take the money. What kills me is exactly this scenario. I could be and hope to be completely wrong, but Ennis took what I think is potential max value for him in the draft. Maybe he sticks around a year or two and improves, but he's never going top 3 because of his size.

44cuse
Exactly. He stays for another year, good for SU but bad for his draft stock. Which could've ended up seeing him fall into the 2nd with no guaranteed $$$. He's a guaranteed millionaire now and will have several years to prove his worth, whether it's with the Suns or not. Crazy how some are still so salty on here and are acting like a 19/20 year old is an idiot for chasing his dream and making a lot of $$$ doing so.

Wish he was drafted by a different team, Bledsoe, Dragic brothers, Isaiah Thomas...PG overload

Exactly. He stays for another year, good for SU but bad for his draft stock. Which could've ended up seeing him fall into the 2nd with no guaranteed $$$. He's a guaranteed millionaire now and will have several years to prove his worth, whether it's with the Suns or not. Crazy how some are still so salty on here and are acting like a 19/20 year old is an idiot for chasing his dream and making a lot of $$$ doing so.
It's not the players who are crazy. It's the NBA GMs. They continue to draft and pay big $$ to kids who are not ready to play and contribute. Can't blame the kids for taking the money.

No no no no no...don't you get it yet? It's about CUSE basketball & nothing else! How dare he believe in himself, fulfill a life-long dream, AND accept millions of $$$ in the bargain?? He coulda stayed another year, risked injury and lowered his draft position, sure. But but but Kaleb wouldn't need to start & we'd be a better team...maybe even Sweet 16!!!
Dreams are a dime a dozen...& his belong to us! Period.

No no no no no...don't you get it yet? It's about CUSE basketball & nothing else! How dare he believe in himself, fulfill a life-long dream, AND accept millions of $$$ in the bargain?? He coulda stayed another year, risked injury and lowered his draft position, sure. But but but Kaleb wouldn't need to start & we'd be a better team...maybe even Sweet 16!!!
Perfectly said.:rolling:

Who could fault a kid for taking millions and going on to try to live his NBA dream?

But left unstated are the implications:

College isn't for learning...or even a degree...it's for getting to the next level.
Colleges go along with this because colleges make a mint from TV $$$.
The players are the reasons colleges are in demand by TV.
The players should get a piece of that revenue.
The time is coming.

Maybe it's even time to stop the charade of winking at academics (hello, UNC).
Who really cares if players go to class or get good grades as long as they "remain eligible" and (most of all) play well?

I wish it was different.
But it's not.

Who could fault a kid for taking millions and going on to try to live his NBA dream?

But left unstated are the implications:

College isn't for learning...or even a degree...it's for getting to the next level.
Colleges go along with this because colleges make a mint from TV $$$.
The players are the reasons colleges are in demand by TV.
The players should get a piece of that revenue.
The time is coming.

Maybe it's even time to stop the charade of winking at academics (hello, UNC).
Who really cares if players go to class or get good grades as long as they "remain eligible" and (most of all) play well?

I wish it was different.
But it's not.
Painting with a pretty broad brush. How many players actually go on to the NBA? The majority do earn their degree. Some even study hard. Roc, a degree in 3 years.
All the NBA stopovers are because of the NBA themselves. It's not the fault of the colleges.

i never said that I had a strong opinion one way or another on whether ennis left or not. all I said is that I'm not sure the nba cares about young guards as much as young big guys. I think a group might give a young guard time to develop when they have freak athleticism, like john wall. ennis is not john wall, he is way more john Stockton. you guys act like all that matters is the first contract. to me what matters is the second contract and beyond. I don't know what the track record is for first rounders that go to the d-league. but im going to go out on a limb and guess that it aint good. napier played his way into the first round as senior. I also disagree with the premise that ennis stock would have automatically gone down had he returned. mel brooks says "or you got it, or you ain't". I just think that young guards are better off in the eyes of the nba as productive, than as projects.

Last edited:
Wish he was drafted by a different team, Bledsoe, Dragic brothers, Isaiah Thomas...PG overload

Honestly, I'm not sure he's cut out for the NBA regardless of what team had drafted him, but yeah, barring injury, he's pretty much screwed in Phoenix unless they let Dragic walk at the end of the year, which would be a little strange since they just signed his brother.

The only team picking around his range that I think he could have been a decent fit for really is Chicago anyways, so yeah... PG is just such an oversaturated position in the NBA. You have to be a really great prospect to have a chance at playing pretty much.

i never said that I had a strong opinion one way or another on whether ennis left or not. all I said is that I'm not sure the nba cares about young guards as much as young big guys. I think a group might give a young guard time to develop when they have freak athleticism, like john wall. ennis is not john wall, he is way more john Stockton. you guys act like all that matters is the first contract. to me what matters is the second contract and beyond. I don't know what the track record is for first rounders that go to the d-league. but im going to go out on a limb and guess that it aint good. napier played his way into the first round as senior. I also disagree with the premise that ennis stock would have automatically gone down had he returned. mel brooks says "or you got it, or you ain't". I just think that young guards are better off in the eyes of the nba as productive, than as projects.

I do agree that if you're a project PG, you want to be a freak athlete one.

But I really do believe if Ennis returns, he has a better chance of going undrafted than he does of upping his draft stock. He had a great run for us for awhile and took it to the bank, but I don't really see him panning out in the NBA. He's not remotely the prospect that MCW and Dion were (and I wasn't even that high on Dion, but having LeBron in Cleveland should help him immensely).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom