Tyler Lydon can shoot the ball and provide athleticism at forward | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon can shoot the ball and provide athleticism at forward

"His niche is his ability to shoot the ball from long range and stretch opposing defenses from the four position, but he's more versatile than he appears at first glance with deceptive bounce and surprising effectiveness on the glass. His strength and conditioning has come a long way"

"Lydon's shot looks effortless from as deep as 23 feet, and his follow-through is textbook. Even better, his release is fairly quick and thus he's able to fire away versus aggressive close-outs. Moreover, he's comfortable from the elbow and short baseline, areas that are foreign to many other stretch fourmen. He's also very mobile, though not especially explosive. His primary obstacle is a severe lack of strength."

"Depdending on how much strength he adds and the further development of his game, Lydon could end up as a big three or a highly skilled four man with ball skills. He shoots the ball very well with range, is crafty along the baseline and doesn't lack for toughness. However, his current lack of strength causes him problems at times."

"“My strength, obviously, I’m too skinny,” Lydon said of what he needs to improve on. “I want to work on my ball-handling and shooting, but I want to improve on everything right now, so I’m just going to be in the gym all day working at it.”

"I've been staying really focused," Lydon said in a telephone interview. "I've been working out two, three times a day, just spending as much time in the gym as I possibly can - just working on different aspects of my game like dribbling and shooting with my coach here. I'm just staying in the weight room and trying to get bigger."

"I've been staying really focused," Lydon said in a telephone interview. "I've been working out two, three times a day, just spending as much time in the gym as I possibly can - just working on different aspects of my game like dribbling and shooting with my coach here. I'm just staying in the weight room and trying to get bigger."

I suggest you go to the recruiting board, read what our recruiting experts have said, and read the players he played with and against. It's not like he's playing suburban kids from the Hudson valley.

Did I say there was something "wrong" with where he's playing. What I implied was players from major cities like Baltimore and NYC tend to be faster and stronger. You can disagree with my opinion and think players from Pine Plains NY are better than players from NYC or Baltimore.

As I said, before I get excited about Lydon I would like to see how he does against stronger faster players he will face at the college level. Lydon reminds me of Cooney. Cooney also looked great in the highlight videos but it took a year and extra hard conditioning before he was able to compete.

The league he is playing in now is significantly stronger than any other scholastic/prep league in the country. These schools typically have 7-8 guys per team going D1 and many have a handful going high major. Most of those highlights are him playing against those guys along w/ some AAU. He has consistently been putting up double double numbers and been all tournament selections in these prep tourneys all year as a junior competing against mostly seniors and post grad guys.

I got to give him credit he was a solid college player. He is a car dealer in Parkersburg now I believe how random is that

He's also put on, oh about 100lbs. Big dude!

Are you agreeing with me?

In the last decade we've had three players from NYC. James Southerland, Louis McCroskey, and Chris McCullogh.

So that's one role player, one guy who hasn't played a minute of college ball, and Louis McCroskey.

We've gotten more production out of guys from Jamesville Dewitt high school than we have from the five Burroughs.

In the last decade we've had three players from NYC. James Southerland, Louis McCroskey, and Chris McCullogh.

So that's one role player, one guy who hasn't played a minute of college ball, and Louis McCroskey.

We've gotten more production out of guys from Jamesville Dewitt high school than we have from the five Burroughs.
McCullough hasn't even played ball in NYC. McCullough - wait for it - played at Brewster (prior to getting kicked out and going to IMG in Florida), and Brewster plays in the same league as New Hampton School, starring one Tyler Lydon.

We live in a day and age where top recruits gravitate toward top competition. If Lydon is slow to adapt to college ball, it will be because he isn't physically mature. It won't be because he lags behind other recruits in quality of competition.

Where was Dwayne Washington from? Where was CJ Fair from? Scoop? Dion? The list is too long.

The league he is playing in now is significantly stronger than any other scholastic/prep league in the country. These schools typically have 7-8 guys per team going D1 and many have a handful going high major. Most of those highlights are him playing against those guys along w/ some AAU. He has consistently been putting up double double numbers and been all tournament selections in these prep tourneys all year as a junior competing against mostly seniors and post grad guys.

We shall see. I hope you are right and he's the second coming.

Where was Dwayne Washington from? Where was CJ Fair from? Scoop? Dion? The list is too long.

Naming a kid who matriculated in 1983 doesn't help your point much.

And while you can name kids who come from NYC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia I can also point out Lazarus Sims, John Wallace, Etan Thomas, Gerry Macnamara, and Brandon Triche. Among others. If you can play, you can play. With the advent of AAU teams I don't think this makes much of a difference.

Naming a kid who matriculated in 1983 doesn't help your point much.

And while you can name kids who come from NYC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia I can also point out Lazarus Sims, John Wallace, Etan Thomas, Gerry Macnamara, and Brandon Triche. Among others. If you can play, you can play. With the advent of AAU teams I don't think this makes much of a difference.

Agreed. Going back to Pearl [as that's basically 30 years ago], we've really only had a handful of kids from NYC over that time. From memory:

Pearl
Wendell Alexis
Conrad McRae
Adrian Autry
Allen Griffin
Eric Williams
Louie McCroskey
Chris McCullough

I probably missed one or two, but the point I'm about to make still holds. Now, some of those are great players who had outstanding careers here in Orange. But over the course of 30 years, NYC clearly hasn't been that important for us. Certainly not a feeder area for us, despite its proximity. Never has been, never will be.

It sounds like TL projects as though he could end up being somewhere between Big Game James and Jerami. I know that's setting the bar high for the kid, but as a junior who can throw down tomahawk dunks and hit threes consistently, if he continues to improve(and who knows, he might not be done growing at 6'9"), he could give defenses plenty of match up problems. I'm just hoping he doesn't give our defense problems(but he is ranked #57 by ESPN, and in the top 100 by at least a couple of others I can't type on here, sadly), but he sounds like a hard worker and I look forward to seeing him play in Orange. Heck, there's also another forward name Tyler that I look forward to seeing play. ;)

Highlights can be deceiving but it seems like we stole one here. Plays way above the rim, shoots it great with range and is tall. Wow. What's not to be excited about? He's so young that getting stronger will not be problem. Looks like he could be the second coming of Shumpert. Maybe even a tad more athletic.

Check this out. Actually like these highlights better. I think some people are going to enjoy this kid for the 4 years we have him. I already love his game and he's only going to get better.

Love that block what he turns into a steal. Big hands, baby! He can make the ball small.

Its easy to get impressed with this kid's athleticism and shooting ability.

What makes me ever more excited is that I hear that he is an above average rebounder / shot blocker, as well. You can never have enough of those.

I LOVE that the three guys we have verballed for 2015 are all known for their shooting prowess. I just wish they weren't another year away from the Hill!

RF2044 said:
Agreed. Going back to Pearl [as that's basically 30 years ago], we've really only had a handful of kids from NYC over that time. From memory:

Pearl
Wendell Alexis
Conrad McRae
Adrian Autry
Allen Griffin
Eric Williams
Louie McCroskey
Chris McCullough

I probably missed one or two, but the point I'm about to make still holds. Now, some of those are great players who had outstanding careers here in Orange. But over the course of 30 years, NYC clearly hasn't been that important for us. Certainly not a feeder area for us, despite its proximity. Never has been, never will be.

It is somewhat surprising though. We're better than any program in that area (meaning NYC itself) and in NYS. One would think kids from that area would want to come here more often. Has JB simply not made that area a point of emphasis and you expect that to continue forever? Not saying you're wrong or right but I think it makes for an interesting discussion. We have missed out on some great guards in that area. But the Pearl built the Dome and all of us are eternally grateful he chose SU.

It is somewhat surprising though. We're better than any program in that area (meaning NYC itself) and in NYS. One would think kids from that area would want to come here more often. Has JB simply not made that area a point of emphasis and you expect that to continue forever? Not saying you're wrong or right but I think it makes for an interesting discussion. We have missed out on some great guards in that area. But the Pearl built the Dome and all of us are eternally grateful he chose SU.
It would appear that the great players from NYC are surrounded by "handlers". We have been involved with some of the best out of the city, and had strong relationships, only to have another school $woop in at the last minute and secure the commitment.

You think about some of those guys like Sebastian Telfair, Julius Hodge, Lance Stephenson and Whitehead and in retrospect I'm not sure I'd want guys like that here.

The only guys it can think of off the top of my head are Taleik Brown and Andre Barrett. And that's going back almost fifteen years.

Pearl = Brooklyn
CJ = Baltimore then Brewster for his SR year
Scoop = Philly
Dion = Philly then NJ (Life Center Academy IIRC)

You were replying to a post about recruiting from NYC. If your response was meant to imply we had a long list of recruits from NYC, I don't think you furthered your case with 3/4 of the players you named coming from areas other than NYC. If you meant "metro areas" in general then you're making more sense.

Pearl = Brooklyn
CJ = Baltimore then Brewster for his SR year
Scoop = Philly
Dion = Philly then NJ (Life Center Academy IIRC)

You were replying to a post about recruiting from NYC. If your response was meant to imply we had a long list of recruits from NYC, I don't think you furthered your case with 3/4 of the players you named coming from areas other than NYC. If you meant "metro areas" in general then you're making more sense.

I meant metro areas as opposed to small towns.