Class of 2015 - F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse

Had a chance to see Lydon today at the National Prep Showcase in New Haven. Lydon doesn't jump out at you at first, but the more you watch him you begin to see why SU likes him. Lydon doesn't look to score much (probably only took six shots in this game) and is a very unselfish team player. He simply does a lot of things well. I had Lydon for 13 points and maybe 13 rebounds in New Hampton Prep's 71-62 win over Massanutten Military Academy. Most of his points came in the final minutes when Massanutten was looking to stop the clock and elected to foul Lydon in non-shooting situations. Lydon is a terrific free throw shooter. He made all six of his free thows in the final minutes when New Hampton was trying to preserve the win. He was 8 for 8 from the line overall, and seven of those were nothing but net. With about 12 minutes left, Lydon turned his ankle and left the game. It didn't look like he'd return, but they took him to the locker room, probably taped him, and he was back about four minutes later. Lydon is a very fundamentally sound player. Sets picks well, passes well and has a pretty good handle. He was 1-2 from three and scored his other basket on a drive from the top of the key. Lydon is 6-8 and probably 180-185 pounds. He is rail thin and needs to put on about 20 pounds of muscle before he gets to SU in two years. Gaining strength and getting bigger will be his biggest issue.

I'll check in later tonight after I get a chance to see Kaleb Joseph play.
Good call, 4eva and much thanks for the great write up cuseguy.
thumbscuseguy.jpg

Brian Flinn (@BFlinnFuture150) tweeted at 1:56 PM on Sun, Nov 24, 2013:
Really like Tyler Lydon for #Cuse. Long and athletic forward who has a nose for the ball and can shoot it. Finished with 15 pts & 15 boards

Full game of New Hampton vs. Fishburne Military featuring "Rotten" Lydon

Got a chance to watch the full game and here goes some quick thoughts. Had him charted for 8pts, 8rbs, 4blks, 2ast, 2to, 0-2 3pt, 2-2ft. As noted he's very skinny but runs the floor well and isn't allergic to battling inside. Unlike Derrick Jones who I've scouted several times, Lydon knows how to use his athleticism and length to rebound in traffic, plus blocking and altering numerous shots inside. What I really like is how even when he's not in the position to get the board he always tries his best to at least tip it out to a teammate or just try and keep things alive to get the possession. Didn't get to see his overall offensive skill set, as he mostly scored inside off putbacks and in transition. He does handle the ball well and looks comfortable handling it out on the perimeter. He has the competitive nature that I think the fans will love and should be a real solid stretch forward for us. I'm excited to see how his game rounds out when he packs on some muscle. The slight frame currently causes him to get moved around easily at times, but we must remember New Hampton is the same school that turned Noah Vonleh from a skinny wing last year to a well built physical 5 man now.

Last edited:
Got a chance to watch the full game and here goes some quick thoughts. Had him charted for 8pts, 8rbs, 4blks, 2ast, 2to, 0-2 3pt, 2-2ft. As noted he's very skinny but runs the floor and isn't allergic to battling inside. Unlike Derrick Jones who I've scouted several times, Lydon knows how to use his athleticism and length to rebound in traffic, plus blocking and altering numerous shots inside. What I really like is how even when he's not in the position to get the board he always tries his best to at least tip it out to a teammate or just try and keep things alive to get the possession. Didn't get to see his overall offensive skill set, as he mostly scored inside off putbacks and in transition. He does handle the ball well and looks comfortable handling it out on the perimeter. He has the competitive nature that I think the fans will love and should be a real solid stretch forward for us. I'm excited to see how his game rounds out when he packs on some muscle. The slight frame currently causes him to get moved around easily at times, but we must remember New Hampton is the same school that turned Noah Vonleh from a skinny wing last year to a well built physical 5 man now.
Great write-up, and much appreciated for those who haven't seen him live yet. Thanks, brother.

He has the competitive nature that I think the fans will love and should be a real solid stretch forward for us. I'm excited to see how his game rounds out when he packs on some muscle. The slight frame currently causes him to get moved around easily at times, but we must remember New Hampton is the same school that turned Noah Vonleh from a skinny wing last year to a well built physical 5 man now.
I think many also need to remeber that Tyler is only a junior in HS so essentially has 2 full HS seasons left to develop. A few people have penciled him in as part of the discussion as a 2G because of his apparent shooting ability, but I think is unlikely at the college level . Thanks for the report, sounds like we've got a well rounded player on the way!

262752-jan-1998-forward-bobby-lazor-and-guard-ahlou-gettyimages.jpg

Does Tyler remind any one of Bobby Lazor?

I was at Manley Field House when SU was practicing for Montana State in the 1st round of the NCAA's in 1996.

Word had gotten out that sophomore Bobby Lazor of Norwich NYwas considering transferring out of the program.

Tailgate Ivan had a long talk with Lazor trying to convince him to stay. He said that JB was loyal to kids who stuck it out and that his time was coming.

Lazor was buried on the bench behind players such as Lawrence Moten, Luke Jackson, John Wallace and Todd Burgan during his two year stay.

Apparently, Bobby already had his mind made up. The former New York State Class B Player of the Year was bound for Arizona State where he had a stellar career.

Few people realize that Bobby was born in Scottsdale, AZ some 11 miles away from from the ASU campus in Tempe.

Bobby's playing time increased from 7 minutes a game to 34 minutes and his scoring average went from 2 ppg to 17.

His dad Bobby Sr played at Pitt and was the first Panther to score over 1,000 points.

Last edited:

[/quote]

Didn't JB publicly say something like "I don't like moms calling me about kids playing time", or something like that, and it was implicit it was regarding Lazor? I remember reading something like that in the paper around then?

Also, if my memory is true, I think it's another sign that maybe JB has mellowed. While in no way does JB take advice from parents now, from stuff I've heard/read, I think JB wouldn't be as quick to get annoyed by that stuff today. Am I accurate?

Last edited:
So far in the early season, Lydon is averaging a double double of 12ppg and 12rpg on his new team. Love that he's a glass cleaner.
Love the RPG stat, but it seems to me that a kid with his stroke who can also do some inside scoring should be well above 12 PPG at the HS level.

Didn't JB publicly say something like "I don't like moms calling me about kids playing time", or something like that, and it was implicit it was regarding Lazor? I remember reading something like that in the paper around then?

Also, if my memory is true, I think it's another sign that maybe JB has mellowed. While in no way does JB take advice from parents now, from stuff I've heard/read, I think JB wouldn't be as quick to get annoyed by that stuff today. Am I accurate?[/quote]
The fact that his teammates called him Bobby Lazy might have had something to do with it.

Actually Trevor averaged 15.3 PPG over his HS career.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tre...KZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Don't get me wrong, I really like Lydon and I think he brings a lot to our table. All I meant by my post above is that he is capable of more IMHO. From what I hear about Lydon is that he may be a bit too unselfish.

That is a good thing. I would rather have a guy that wants to get his teammates involved than a guy who wants to shoot and be a prima donna.

Love the RPG stat, but it seems to me that a kid with his stroke who can also do some inside scoring should be well above 12 PPG at the HS level.

It's not like Lydon is playing against chump change. He's squaring off against D1 level players game in and game out. His squad is loaded and rotates players in and out a lot.

Lazor was always fine playing offense. His problem was that he was one of the worst defensive players that ever tried to play at SU. Was completely clueless out there...reminiscent of players like Erik Williams and Ethan Cole.

While my respect for the Norwich Purple Tornado basketball program is extremely high, the level of play of their opponents was not good. Lazor came into the SU program woefully unprepared for the rigors of the highest level of college basketball. He didn't get great foot speed, struggled to cover the area of the zone he was responsible for, and on defense anyway, appeared to have the attention span of a gnat. I think he still holds the all time record for for the fastest JB hook (6 seconds).

Lydon is playing prep ball in NE; that might be the highest level of ball you can play before college, so he is going have an huge advantage on Lazor from that perspective.
Lydon is definitely quicker and appears to have a much higher basketball IQ than Lazor as well. He is also a lot more physical and willing to bang down low. Needs to get stronger, just as Bobby did.

They are similar in terms of their height and ability to shoot from the outside but that is about it. I think Lydon is far more athletic, far quicker, jumps much better, and has a much higher ceiling than Bobby did.

It is tough for a slowish 6'9 kid who likes to play on the perimeter to be successful at SU. If you are 6'9, you better be quick and athletic to play on the wing in the 2-3 or you better be able to play in the middle of the zone. If you can't do either, you should play at a school like Arizona St or Penn St, where you don't have to worry about defense, rebounding, etc.

Lazor was always fine playing offense. His problem was that he was one of the worst defensive players that ever tried to play at SU. Was completely clueless out there...reminiscent of players like Erik Williams and Ethan Cole.

While my respect for the Norwich Purple Tornado basketball program is extremely high, the level of play of their opponents was not good. Lazor came into the SU program woefully unprepared for the rigors of the highest level of college basketball. He didn't get great foot speed, struggled to cover the area of the zone he was responsible for, and on defense anyway, appeared to have the attention span of a gnat. I think he still holds the all time record for for the fastest JB hook (6 seconds).

Lydon is playing prep ball in NE; that might be the highest level of ball you can play before college, so he is going have an huge advantage on Lazor from that perspective.
Lydon is definitely quicker and appears to have a much higher basketball IQ than Lazor as well. He is also a lot more physical and willing to bang down low. Needs to get stronger, just as Bobby did.

They are similar in terms of their height and ability to shoot from the outside but that is about it. I think Lydon is far more athletic, far quicker, jumps much better, and has a much higher ceiling than Bobby did.

It is tough for a slowish 6'9 kid who likes to play on the perimeter to be successful at SU. If you are 6'9, you better be quick and athletic to play on the wing in the 2-3 or you better be able to play in the middle of the zone. If you can't do either, you should play at a school like Arizona St or Penn St, where you don't have to worry about defense, rebounding, etc.

I remember watching Lazor when he came to play at Johnson City. I hated that Norwich team. Chuck Gelatt (sp.?) was from Chenango Valley - do you remember how prepared he was coming in?

Actually Trevor averaged 15.3 PPG over his HS career.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tre...KZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Don't get me wrong, I really like Lydon and I think he brings a lot to our table. All I meant by my post above is that he is capable of more IMHO. From what I hear about Lydon is that he may be a bit too unselfish.
My bad. I think Cooney averaged 12 PPG as a senior, and by that link shot 37% which led to it. Agreed on Lydon though.

NE Prep competition is obviously much stronger and tougher than what he went up against at Pine Plains. New Hampton plays a rotation of about 10-11 players with 7-8 being a good mix of mid-major and high-major players. In the game that I watched the coach was rotating players in and out like crazy, so I doubt too many players are going to average double digits in points for them. Noah Vonleh was a top 10 prospect and only averaged about 14ppg on a deep roster at New Hampton last year. As Edowd noted above, McCullough averaged 15ppg at Brewster, which had a gang of high major prospects on it. So the main point I'm making is that the majority of the top prep schools will be loaded with plenty of talent from top to bottom and you can't really expect anybody to have really high point totals on their average per game. I actually think it's a good look that Tyler has already come in on a new team and is averaging a double double so far on a deep roster against strong competition.

Lydon is the third or fourth scoring option on his team. He's only a junior so I'd imagine his totals should increase a bit next year as a senior.

NE Prep competition is obviously much stronger and tougher than what he went up against at Pine Plains. New Hampton plays a rotation of about 10-11 players with 7-8 being a good mix of mid-major and high-major players. In the game that I watched the coach was rotating players in and out like crazy, so I doubt too many players are going to average double digits in points for them. Noah Vonleh was a top 10 prospect and only averaged about 14ppg on a deep roster at New Hampton last year. As Edowd noted above, McCullough averaged 15ppg at Brewster, which had a gang of high major prospects on it. So the main point I'm making is that the majority of the top prep schools will be loaded with plenty of talent from top to bottom and you can't really expect anybody to have really high point totals on their average per game. I actually think it's a good look that Tyler has already come in on a new team and is averaging a double double so far on a deep roster against strong competition.

Plus, its a 32 minute game.