Tyler Marona update | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Marona update

CuseLegacy

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 40m
Former Syracuse DE Tyler Marona is headed to D-II Providence (Pasadena, Calif.) Christian College to pitch for the baseball team.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 39m
Here's @ccarlsononSU's concussions story on Marona from a year ago. Hope to have a follow up later today: http://bit.ly/1lw93H3

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 41m
Marona tweeted that he accepted a scholarship. Good break for a guy who had his FB career cut short due to multiple concussions last year.

Best of luck to Marona.

Glad to see that he laded on his feet, into another scholarship situation, after things didn't work out here. Seems like his career was over before it even began at Syracuse.

Glad to see that he laded on his feet, into another scholarship situation, after things didn't work out here. Seems like his career was over before it even began at Syracuse.
I agree... great that he can play but I thought he would stick to this:

"Marona could have chosen to transfer from Syracuse and pursued a football career elsewhere but said he plans to remain at SU, where his scholarship will be honored and he'll help the football program in a variety of roles."

I think he would have been smarter to remain and do full-time studies.

"Marona could have chosen to transfer from Syracuse and pursued a football career elsewhere but said he plans to remain at SU, where his scholarship will be honored and he'll help the football program in a variety of roles."

Not sure I follow this logic. He had the chance to move closer to home to pursue a non contact sport. It's not like he is going to play football elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I follow this logic. He had the chance to move closer to home to pursue a non contact sport. It's not like he is going to play football elsewhere.
It's about priorities. Which school's diploma is worth more? Would be be better off concentrating on school for free v. getting a partial DII scholarship (I think DII offers tuition-only). Ya gotta do what makes you happy but I know first-hand that sometimes a kid will take sports more seriously than they should in the long run. I hope he does well no matter what.

I believe he called into adam carolla & dr drew's podcast a few weeks ago as Tyler in Pasadena, and he asked for advice on life after football. When asked where he went to school he said Syracuse, I guess it all makes sense now.

It's about priorities. Which school's diploma is worth more? Would be be better off concentrating on school for free v. getting a partial DII scholarship (I think DII offers tuition-only). Ya gotta do what makes you happy but I know first-hand that sometimes a kid will take sports more seriously than they should in the long run. I hope he does well no matter what.

I get your thought process, and I think it is sound from an adult perspective, but if you have e talent level to play sports in college I think it is worth pursuing if that makes you happy. There will be plenty of time to be unhappy with life when you graduate from school. There is also a chance he came out to Syracuse for the sole purpose of playing football, so once that is gone what is to keep him here.

Not arguing, just recognizing that it is hard to convince a 19-20 year old kid to give up athletics when they see it as a priority

Different people have different priorities. If he wants to play pro baseball, staying at SU certainly wouldn't help fulfill that dream.

It's about priorities. Which school's diploma is worth more?
I saw something recently that said what you major in is more important than where you go to school. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but without knowing what his major was, we don't know that a diploma from SU would have been worth more than one from Providence Christian College.

I saw something recently that said what you major in is more important than where you go to school. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but without knowing what his major was, we don't know that a diploma from SU would have been worth more than one from Providence Christian College.

Every once in while I think about what might have been had I played Div III soccer at some small school. I'm 47 years old and far, far removed from games that actually count for something and I think my longing for that sort of historical nostalgia (the team, the camaraderie, the smell of cut grass, etc.) is growing with age. That said, I have no regrets. Good grief - if I had gone that route, the color Orange wouldn't carry any additional significance for me. I can't imagine that kind of universe!!

... and I get all that other stuff by living vicariously through my daughter's youth soccer experience. Poor girl.

Every once in while I think about what might have been had I played Div III soccer at some small school. I'm 47 years old and far, far removed from games that actually count for something and I think my longing for that sort of historical nostalgia (the team, the camaraderie, the smell of cut grass, etc.) is growing with age. That said, I have no regrets. Good grief - if I had gone that route, the color Orange wouldn't carry any additional significance for me. I can't imagine that kind of universe!!

... and I get all that other stuff by living vicariously through my daughter's youth soccer experience. Poor girl.
Yeah. I think you've gotta do what you think is best for you at the time. I regret not knowing what I wanted to do in college until I was over 30 years old. I paid my own way through SUNY Oswego as a bio major for a few years and left without a degree because I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career. If had a clear direction and enough money to attend SU, I honestly probably would've gone somewhere with a beach. I ultimately went back to school to be a PTA. I would've been a SU fan no matter what, I've been one since I was 10 yrs old.

And I guess we don't know that a diploma from Harvard is worth more than one from Providence Christian College either.

And I guess we don't know that a diploma from Harvard is worth more than one from Providence Christian College either.
That's it. Make your argument by taking something to the extreme. SU is not Harvard.

That's it. Make your argument by taking something to the extreme. SU is not Harvard.
Well, I can only speak for myself. I went to Harvard for grad school. I hated it. I actually wish I had left instead of sticking it out to the degree-granting end. I've never found that the Harvard degree gave me any connections that helped. I think SU is probably as valuable from that standpoint, especially in some fields. And, in this day and age, it's not where you went, it's what you can do that matters.

Yes, that's the entire point. While SU is not Havard, it is not Providence College of CA or OCC either. Where you get your degree does matter.

Couldn't disagree more with this.

Yes, that's the entire point. While SU is not Havard, it is not Providence College of CA or OCC either. Where you get your degree does matter.
Never said it doesn't matter at all. All I said is that a study showed the field of study matters more than the school. Without knowing what he's studying nobody on here knows how much more a degree from SU could be worth. Ultimately, what matters is that he's doing what he wants.

Well, I can only speak for myself. I went to Harvard for grad school. I hated it. I actually wish I had left instead of sticking it out to the degree-granting end. I've never found that the Harvard degree gave me any connections that helped. I think SU is probably as valuable from that standpoint, especially in some fields. And, in this day and age, it's not where you went, it's what you can do that matters.
I have seen first-hand were the school matters. When I got my MBA from UB, I interviewed at a bank. I had some great Finance experience and my MBA concentrated in Finance and MIS. I was told they would hire MIS guys from UB but Finance guys only from Ivy schools (and some specific non-Ivy schools like e.g. Carnegie Mellon). They offered me an MIS job which I declined. I worked for a bank prior to that that heavily emphasized Ivy grads and if you didn't have an Ivy diploma, you were sort of an outsider (which is how it was).

Last edited:
I have seen first-hand were the school matters. When I got my MBA from UB, I interviewed at a bank. I had some great Finance experience and my MBA concentrated in Finance and MIS. I was told they would hire MIS guys from UB but Finance guys only from Ivy schools. They offered me an MIS job which I declined. I worked for a bank prior to that that heavily emphasized Ivy grads and if you didn't have an Ivy diploma, you were sort of an outsider (which is how it was).
Again you're mentioning the outliers. Of course an Ivy League education stands out. Syracuse is much closer to the meat of the bell curve though. You also mentioned a specific field. Would it be easier to get a good job with a MBA from UB or an Anthropology degree from Harvard?

Again you're mentioning the outliers. Of course an Ivy League education stands out. Syracuse is much closer to the meat of the bell curve though. You also mentioned a specific field. Would it be easier to get a good job with a MBA from UB or an Anthropology degree from Harvard?
They are not outliers, just the easiest to illustrate the point because they are so irrefutable. It's the real world. Notice I said there were non-Ivies involved too. Businesses have schools they prefer. I mentioned specific fields that could be taken in many schools. The point is that businesses don't recognize those exact same fields the same way without regard to where you go to school. Answer to your question, Harvard will win in pretty much any comparison you make which goes to the point that the school really matters in most cases.

However, this is all tangential to my original point. I would advise someone in this kid's position to focus more on education and less on sports. He may have done that or think he has done that but an experienced adult can provide good guidance.

Last edited:
They are not outliers, just the easiest to illustrate the point because they are so irrefutable. It's the real world. Notice I said there were non-Ivies involved too. Businesses have schools they prefer. I mentioned specific fields that could be taken in many schools. The point is that businesses don't recognize those exact same fields the same way without regard to where you go to school. Answer to your question, Harvard will win in pretty much any comparison you make which goes to the point that the school really matters in most cases.

However, this is all tangential to my original point. I would advise someone in this kid's position to focus more on education and less on sports. He may have done that or think he has done that but an experienced adult can provide good guidance.
Again, I'm not saying the school has no value. However, without you knowing anything about the school or what he is studying, you don't know that he would've been better off at SU.

Again, I'm not saying the school has no value. However, without you knowing anything about the school or what he is studying, you don't know that he would've been better off at SU.
No need to keep telling me what you didn't say. I can read what you said here. Anything not here is what "you didn't say". I don't know the best option for the kid...just that I would counsel the kid on putting too much emphasis on the the desire to play a new sport over the school. This kid had a full ride at SU.. At some point he may regret not having taken advantage of it. However, I think it is his decision and maybe he has taken this all into consideration or maybe Providence Christan College has a program he likes that SU does not or that is considered better at Providence Christian College than at SU.

Last edited:
a few facts about Providence Christian College:

Nickname: The Sea Beggars

Providence Christian College was granted permission to operate as a degree granting institution in the state of California on December 9, 2004

The college is a member of the International Association for the Promotion of Christian Higher Education and has applied for accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. In February 2009, the college was recognized by the WASC commission as a Candidate for Accreditation by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities.[6]

In March 2013, Providence earned initial accreditation with WASC
Enrollment = 71 students
82 Applied for admission Last Year

Their baseball team was started this year (July).

I doubt they are really a division II program.

Last edited: