Tyler Provo | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Provo

Nick44

All Conference
Is it just me or should this kid is better suited as a FB and not a TE? In pics/film he looks like he could grow more into a Rob Konrad type frame as opposed to his brother Nick. Also if I am not mistaken, wasn't Nick interviewed about NFL draft an he said Tyler was top ranked FB in state of FL?

I think he could be a 3-4 yr starter at FB with the ability to be a good pass catcher out of backfield.

Is it just me or should this kid is better suited as a FB and not a TE? In pics/film he looks like he could grow more into a Rob Konrad type frame as opposed to his brother Nick. Also if I am not mistaken, wasn't Nick interviewed about NFL draft an he said Tyler was top ranked FB in state of FL?

I think he could be a 3-4 yr starter at FB with the ability to be a good pass catcher out of backfield.

Maybe an HBack.

I wish we would abolish forever the traditional FB position.

I wish we would abolish forever the traditional FB position.
Depends on your definition of traditional FB. If you're talking about the FB that gets 2-3 carries a game and blocks the rest I agree. To me a traditional FB is more of a 7-10 carry, 4-5 catch guy that can also block in the middle and downfield and that CB's fear in open space. I loved Owen Schmitt at WVU and feel there should be a role for 240-250 player who can block and run over people. If you don't have a player that can do that then yea, go without one. What I don't want to see is a 2 back set where one TB is expected to block for another TB. That just doesn't work.

Depends on your definition of traditional FB. If you're talking about the FB that gets 2-3 carries a game and blocks the rest I agree. To me a traditional FB is more of a 7-10 carry, 4-5 catch guy that can also block in the middle and downfield and that CB's fear in open space. I loved Owen Schmitt at WVU and feel there should be a role for 240-250 player who can block and run over people. If you don't have a player that can do that then yea, go without one. What I don't want to see is a 2 back set where one TB is expected to block for another TB. That just doesn't work.

You think a traditional FB gets 11 to 15 touches a game?

I'm definitely talking about a 2/3 carry guy who blocks the other 75 plays. I said I'd prefer an HBack, but the days of a lead blocker in the college game are long gone. The position needs to go to a player that can split out and catch passes as well as run block or pass protect. Or just go to a 3rd wideout and single back set.

Interesting that Rivals has him as the #2 rated FB in the nation, too

Interesting that Rivals has him as the #2 rated FB in the nation, too

I'm wondering if H-Back is where he ends up...either way nice problem to have.

I'm wondering if H-Back is where he ends up...either way nice problem to have.
most likely, you're right. Though Adam Harris was a good player for SU, he really didn't bring too much diversity in his game. Adding a guy like Provo to the lineup will (hopefully) add another true option in the passing game, even coming out from behind the LOS.

awesome - nice to start off with a 3-star kid with some offers - this should be the new norm going forward

What about Ron Thompson? Doesn't he come in with a big time resume?:noidea:

Hopefully that will get the ball rolling! Glad he's on board.

Score one for Hackett.
I could make a joke here about how it's a refreshing change that Hackett went for the score early instead of hoping the defense would hold and give him a chance at the end, but... oh, wait a minute, I just did. ;)

I could make a joke here about how it's a refreshing change that Hackett went for the score early instead of hoping the defense would hold and give him a chance at the end, but... oh, wait a minute, I just did. ;)
You would never do that. :D