Tyler Roberson, 3 point shot?? | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Roberson, 3 point shot??

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Anyone optimistic Tyler Roberson could take some three point shots this year?

In recent years forwards have started to step out more to the three line around their Junior Year.
Kris Joseph and CJ Fair were great examples of this. And Tyler Roberson had more outside shot then them in high school.

I think some of it could be mental to him you shouldn't lose confidence in something you already know how to do. The high school three point line isn't any further then the college (guessing).

Watching him I think some of it is in his legs also. I don't know what it is, but sometimes I feel he doesn't put the leg muscle into his release. Attempting 20-30 from NBA range might fail awfully, but every miss would help him get more legs in his release. So its win/win.

He had so much swag confidence in his follow through in highschool.

Last edited:
It would be nice, but with the other 3-point shooters on the team, we probably don't need him shooting 3's. Joseph and Fair played SF for the most part (Fair played a little more PF) on teams that lacked shooters, so I think they started shooting 3's more due to a combination of necessity and ability. Both have better strokes than Roberson from behind the arc, from what I've seen. He struggles as it is with his midrange jumper.

Roberson is in the mold of Jerami Grant, IMO. Both have/had odd looking midrange jumpers and neither was/will be asked to step behind the arc. Though, Grant has developed a 3-point shot at the NBA level, so there may be hope for Roberson. I just don't see it happening this coming season.

Much of Roberson's game will depend on his confidence. If he understands that he is one of our best players this year, I think he will blossom and show improvement in all aspects of his game. He has seemed so tentative his first two years here. There is no room for doubt in a jumpshot, that is where it showed the most. The mechanics can be sound, but the confidence has to be there as well. I think that is the Tyler Roberson we will see this year. I think he will be scoring from all levels this year. Not a ton of threes, but a few. Roberson will be an inside/out forward and Lydon will be an outside/in forward. A great compliment to eachother. At least that is how I see it.

His job will be to stay under the basket and grab rebounds. He has the potential to be the best rebounder Syracuse has had since Billy Owens. I don't want him spending too much time behind the three point line. We have plenty of other people for that.

If he can make one every couple of games just to let oppositions know they have to cover him out there and can't leave him alone, I'll be very happy.

Much of Roberson's game will depend on his confidence. If he understands that he is one of our best players this year, I think he will blossom and show improvement in all aspects of his game. He has seemed so tentative his first two years here. There is no room for doubt in a jumpshot, that is where it showed the most. The mechanics can be sound, but the confidence has to be there as well. I think that is the Tyler Roberson we will see this year. I think he will be scoring from all levels this year. Not a ton of threes, but a few. Roberson will be an inside/out forward and Lydon will be an outside/in forward. A great compliment to eachother. At least that is how I see it.
His job will be to stay under the basket and grab rebounds. He has the potential to be the best rebounder Syracuse has had since Billy Owens. I don't want him spending too much time behind the three point line. We have plenty of other people for that.

If he can make one every couple of games just to let oppositions know they have to cover him out there and can't leave him alone, I'll be very happy.
Both of these posts:
18hyxvxq5ddtzjpg.jpg

I thought that Anthony kid was a pretty decent rebounder too.;)

His shot is flatter than kansas. He front rims a ton of mid ranges. For him to hit 3's consistently, he'd have to severely alter his form and I dont think at this point its worth it considering what his more important roles will be

That is exactly what I was thinking a set play where he rolls out to the perimeter 2-3 times a game.

Its crazy to think that all four of our forwards can knock them down and three of our forwards are true gunners. I wouldn't be suprised if the coaches ran a extra shooting drill for them.

Last edited:
I have this theory (okay, wishful thinking) that a college player will eventually reach the heights they did in high school if enough time elapses. TR once had a 50 point game in HS (Tyler Ennis did too, but with many more shot attempts). Not saying Roberson will do that in college. But what I hope to see is whatever confident mindset he must have been in when he did that a few years ago (sudden realization - "Hey, I'm one of the oldest and best players on the court right now - give me the damn ball").

That would involve all sorts of offensive moves. But not a constant heaver from way out. I recall John Wallace lighting it up for 3 years and grabbing his fair share of rebounds (his defense questionable), but he didn't add his 3 point shot until his senior year. I used to wonder if that played a big role in his return for a 4th season.

I hope we don't become too dependent on the 3. I have visions of a quarter century of Notre Dame teams with 4 or 5 guys averaging 40% or more from 3 (including whatever double-double behemoth they were sporting on the front line) until mid or late January; only to see them falter all the time. If we're going to be possibly troubled at the 5, we need the 4 to be as solid as possible. And I hope Tyler doesn't "audition" (for the pros) this year at all. Don't mind if he does it a bit next year, though, heh. Wallace did, and it kinda helped in that Georgia game. TR still hasn't gone alpha like JW, but imagine if he does.

What the hell am I thinking about 1996 for?

(Disclaimer - I just read that Boeheim book I got from Liverpool Library)

Anyone optimistic Tyler Roberson could take some three point shots this year?

In recent years forwards have started to step out more to the three line around their Junior Year.
Kris Joseph and CJ Fair were great examples of this. And Tyler Roberson had more outside shot then them in high school.

I think some of it could be mental to him you shouldn't lose confidence in something you already know how to do. The high school three point line isn't any further then the college (guessing).

Watching him I think some of it is in his legs also. I don't know what it is, but sometimes I feel he doesn't put the leg muscle into his release. Attempting 20-30 from NBA range might fail awfully, but every miss would help him get more legs in his release. So its win/win.

He had so much swag confidence in his follow through in highschool.
I think this is the year that Roberson finally adjusts to the larger court dimensions.

Roberson has very good form on his jump shot.

I think he can make threes, but I'll settle for him showing some consistency on his mid-range shot this year.

That's exactly what I thought. I'd rather see him shoot 100% from 5' after a rebound.

I have this theory (okay, wishful thinking) that a college player will eventually reach the heights they did in high school if enough time elapses. TR once had a 50 point game in HS (Tyler Ennis did too, but with many more shot attempts). Not saying Roberson will do that in college. But what I hope to see is whatever confident mindset he must have been in when he did that a few years ago (sudden realization - "Hey, I'm one of the oldest and best players on the court right now - give me the damn ball").

Wallace did, and it kinda helped in that Georgia game. TR still hasn't gone alpha like JW, but imagine if he does.

Many freshmen say their biggest concern starting out college play is adjusting to the speed of the D1 game.

John Wallace
1992-93 ppg: 11.1 rpg: 7.6
1993-94 ppg: 15.0 rpg: 9.0
1994-95 ppg: 16.8 rpg: 8.2
1995-96 ppg: 22.2 rpg: 8.7

Tyler Roberson
2013-14 ppg: 2.2 rpg: 1.9
2014-15 ppg: 8.3 rpg: 7.3

I bleed Orange just as much as anyone else but comparing Tyler Roberson to John Wallace is wee bit of stretch.

Roberson IMHO just simply does not have the same forceful demeanor that a kid like Wallace had. To be a prolific scorer you have to have a scorer's mentality. Things could very well change for Tyler... but from what he has demonstrated so far on the court... I just don't see him becoming the Uber Dog type.

That's not to say that we won't see significant improvement in all aspects of his game... I think he will continue to improve and carve out a larger role on the team but not seeing him along the lines of a John Wallace.

Roberson IMHO just simply does not have the same forceful demeanor that a kid like Wallace had. To be a prolific scorer you have to have a scorer's mentality. Things could very well change for Tyler... but from what he has demonstrated so far on the court... I just don't see him becoming the Uber Dog type.

That's not to say that we won't see significant improvement in all aspects of his game... I think he will continue to improve and carve out a larger role on the team but not seeing him along the lines of a John Wallace.

Tyler Roberson
2015-16 ppg: 14.4 rpg: 10.2 (my prediction)

General analysis is always spot on! The General has spoken. This thread is now done.

I really think TR will be very good this year (something like 10-12 pts/game and 8-10 rbs/game), and will be an absolute beast his senior season.
And, no, the team won't need him shooting any 3s

But isn't that what many of us said about Roc? :D

Many freshmen say their biggest concern starting out college play is adjusting to the speed of the D1 game.

John Wallace
1992-93 ppg: 11.1 rpg: 7.6
1993-94 ppg: 15.0 rpg: 9.0
1994-95 ppg: 16.8 rpg: 8.2
1995-96 ppg: 22.2 rpg: 8.7

Tyler Roberson

I bleed Orange just as much as anyone else but comparing Tyler Roberson to John Wallace is wee bit of stretch.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't suggesting they were the same; just that "even someone as outstanding as" Wallace did not have a 3 point shot in his arsenal until his senior year - but was still able to produce without it. And I was hoping Roberson would move in this direction.

Also, your subsequent prediction for Roberson this year would put his numbers pretty much in line with Wallace's (second or third year). And with more rebounds.

My point was that Roberson did have it in high school - it just disappeared when he got here. Can he get it back?

I think you missed my point. I wasn't suggesting they were the same; just that "even someone as outstanding as" Wallace did not have a 3 point shot in his arsenal until his senior year - but was still able to produce without it. And I was hoping Roberson would move in this direction.

Also, your subsequent prediction for Roberson this year would put his numbers pretty much in line with Wallace's (second or third year). And with more rebounds.

I got that you were not suggesting they were the same. I get your point. I just hope he stays for his senior year when we have Battle and Pikachu. But once TR gets on NBA draft radar he will be gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom