Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Jimmy B brought a secret recruiting weapon. He has hired on Fat Albert to pitch to Battle. Reportedly Fat Albert greeted Battle by uttering, "Hey ba Mamba... You ba tuba commit to da Cuse ba!

I can't believe I'm the only like for this post....it is pure GOLD.

latest

Saw Coach Boeheim, and Coach Hopkins coming off the Newark flight tonight around 11 when i was waiting for a wheel chair. Coach Hopkins had a big smile on his face coming off the plane and when we exchanged hi's. Coach Boeheim was hurrying up to get out of the rain.

First thoughts were must have been coming back from visiting Battle.

Last edited:
When we get him at SU I will tell my story how I inadvertently may have had something to do with his commitment. I don't want to jinx it. If he comes it will be a great story to tell!!! Just one of those totally innocent opportune moments that may have greatly influenced him and his father.

They are rolling out the trunk monkey press to get TB! Hop and JB at an in home? Wow. I love how JB wears an ACC shirt just to remind him we are in the same conference as his other two finalists.

When we get him at SU I will tell my story how I inadvertently may have had something to do with his commitment. I don't want to jinx it. If he comes it will be a great story to tell!!! Just one of those totally innocent opportune moments that may have greatly influenced him and his father.

NCAA reopens investigation of Syracuse basketball...

NCAA reopens investigation of Syracuse basketball...
Nope. This is not that sort of thing.
OK.
Here is the story. I think Orangeyes had a hand in this one.
I was in town in October for homecoming weekend, and alumni club president meetings. I had made plans to meet Dan's son, Tomcat, and Cherie after the game since I could not go to the Fine tailgate since I had Alumni club President commitments. We all met in Fine lot after the football game. Then I rushed over to Goldstein where the alumni club Pres. were having a final cocktail party. As I was walking past Newhouse, Mike Hopkins came out and was with what I thought at the time were maybe 2 of the players. It was blustery and cold and they were a little bundled up. I started to walk past Mike, and then turned and said," Mike Hopkins"? He turned and said "yes"? I said" I just came from meeting with Dan Johnson's son. I was suppose to get together with Dan when I was here but unfortunately we know that was not meant to be. I also have a son who suffers greatly from crohn's disease. I have to say what you did with visiting Dan in the hospital all summer and making him feel so special during his final days was just great. I only hope if my son ever ends up that ill that someone as special as you comes along and takes the same special interest in him that you did with Dan." Mike thanked me, and we went our separate ways. I had a feeling at the end of the conversation that it was a recruit and a father who was standing there. The father looked incredibly impressed by what I had just said. That is what made me realize it was a parent and recruit when I noticed the look on his face. Later I read that the Battles had been in town and that Hopkins had given them a tour of Newhouse. When I saw the pictures I knew that is who was standing there. Totally innocent, but seriously could not have happened any better than that.

llandz said:
Nope. This is not that sort of thing. OK. Here is the story. I think Orangeyes had a hand in this one. I was in town in October for homecoming weekend, and alumni club president meetings. I had made plans to meet Dan's son, Tomcat, and Cherie after the game since I could not go to the Fine tailgate since I had Alumni club President commitments. We all met in Fine lot after the football game. Then I rushed over to Goldstein where the alumni club Pres. were having a final cocktail party. As I was walking past Newhouse, Mike Hopkins came out and was with what I thought at the time were maybe 2 of the players. It was blustery and cold and they were a little bundled up. I started to walk past Mike, and then turned and said," Mike Hopkins"? He turned and said "yes"? I said" I just came from meeting with Dan Johnson's son. I was suppose to get together with Dan when I was here but unfortunately we know that was not meant to be. I also have a son who suffers greatly from crohn's disease. I have to say what you did with visiting Dan in the hospital all summer and making him feel so special during his final days was just great. I only hope if my son ever ends up that ill that someone as special as you comes along and takes the same special interest in him that you did with Dan." Mike thanked me, and we went our separate ways. I had a feeling at the end of the conversation that it was a recruit and a father who was standing there. The father looked incredibly impressed by what I had just said. That is what made me realize it was a parent and recruit when I noticed the look on his face. Later I read that the Battles had been in town and that Hopkins had given them a tour of Newhouse. When I saw the pictures I knew that is who was standing there. Totally innocent, but seriously could not have happened any better than that.

Great story, hope Tyus thinks about it...

If the Battles are so high on Syracuse, why haven't they set an official visit yet? It seems like they've been more than happy to do so with Duke, Louisville, and MSU ... Or is there a reason why they wouldn't set one with Syracuse. I know that players are only allowed 5 official visits and they have to submit paperwork to do so where an unofficial is on their own dime,

If they can take (and have taken) official visits elsewhere, why not schedule one with Syracuse? There may be a good reason, but I'm just ignorant of any.

If the Battles are so high on Syracuse, why haven't they set an official visit yet? It seems like they've been more than happy to do so with Duke, Louisville, and MSU ... Or is there a reason why they wouldn't set one with Syracuse. I know that players are only allowed 5 official visits and they have to submit paperwork to do so where an unofficial is on their own dime,

If they can take (and have taken) official visits elsewhere, why not schedule one with Syracuse? There may be a good reason, but I'm just ignorant of any.

I never really understood the dynamic between the official and unofficial visit, but we know from Llandz's post that Battle and his Dad have visited previously. I thought I had also read that he was a camp participant. If he is close enough that he is just going to drive to campus and he's already done that maybe it's not a high priority for him to do it again on the school's dime. Other than paying for the travel, how much different is the official vs. unofficial visit?

My thought at this point is that an official to SU is basically ending his recruitment. He's been to SU on unofficial visits before including the 1st Duke at the Dome game. We have recruited Tyus the longest and most diligently and both he and his family knows everything they need to know about SU. If he schedules and official visit IMO it turns into a verbal on the visit and announced shortly after.

My thought at this point is that an official to SU is basically ending his recruitment. He's been to SU on unofficial visits before including the 1st Duke at the Dome game. We have recruited Tyus the longest and most diligently and both he and his family knows everything they need to know about SU. If he schedules and official visit IMO it turns into a verbal on the visit and announced shortly after.
There is absolutely no reason to visit at this point other than to verbally commit to jb in person.

Last edited:
Nope. This is not that sort of thing.
OK.
Here is the story. I think Orangeyes had a hand in this one.
I was in town in October for homecoming weekend, and alumni club president meetings. I had made plans to meet Dan's son, Tomcat, and Cherie after the game since I could not go to the Fine tailgate since I had Alumni club President commitments. We all met in Fine lot after the football game. Then I rushed over to Goldstein where the alumni club Pres. were having a final cocktail party. As I was walking past Newhouse, Mike Hopkins came out and was with what I thought at the time were maybe 2 of the players. It was blustery and cold and they were a little bundled up. I started to walk past Mike, and then turned and said," Mike Hopkins"? He turned and said "yes"? I said" I just came from meeting with Dan Johnson's son. I was suppose to get together with Dan when I was here but unfortunately we know that was not meant to be. I also have a son who suffers greatly from crohn's disease. I have to say what you did with visiting Dan in the hospital all summer and making him feel so special during his final days was just great. I only hope if my son ever ends up that ill that someone as special as you comes along and takes the same special interest in him that you did with Dan." Mike thanked me, and we went our separate ways. I had a feeling at the end of the conversation that it was a recruit and a father who was standing there. The father looked incredibly impressed by what I had just said. That is what made me realize it was a parent and recruit when I noticed the look on his face. Later I read that the Battles had been in town and that Hopkins had given them a tour of Newhouse. When I saw the pictures I knew that is who was standing there. Totally innocent, but seriously could not have happened any better than that.

Great story...anyway we can arrange something like this for all recruit visits?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom