Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

There is absolutely no reason to visit at this point other than to verbally commit to jb in person.
One of the main benefits of an official visit is that the recruit gets to spend time with the guys on the team, his future teammates. Usually doesn't happen on unofficial visits outside of maybe a brief hello. It can be an important aspect of a kid forming friendships and feeling "comfortable and welcome". So I hope SU will get that opportunity with TB.

One of the main benefits of an official visit is that the recruit gets to spend time with the guys on the team, his future teammates. Usually doesn't happen on unofficial visits outside of maybe a brief hello. It can be an important aspect of a kid forming friendships and feeling "comfortable and welcome". So I hope SU will get that opportunity with TB.

Not true. Lots of unofficial visits include playing pick up with the current players.

From the linked article at Zags:
He is planning official visits to Syracuse and Michigan next month and will then choose from among Kentucky, UConn or Ohio State for his final official, according to Syracuse.com.
The Syracuse.com article says nothing about an official to Syracuse.

From the linked article at Zags:

The Syracuse.com article says nothing about an official to Syracuse.

From the Syr.com article...
The Battles are trying to set up an official visit for next month. The family has been on the Syracuse campus several times, but Tyus not taken an official visit, which would allow the family to fully explore SU's academic possibilities.

The Battles have planned an official visit to Michigan for next month and will decide on whether to use Tyus' last official trip on visits to Kentucky, Connecticut or Ohio State.

q.jpg
Giggity

Question about Battle. So he already basically runs the point for his team? An accomplished ball handler? I remember Francis posted once that when we recruited Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who is 6'7-ish and physical, it was to be a PG. Now I like RHJ and his versatility but never really saw him as a PG. Still don't. Just curious about Battle and his ball handling currently at this stage of his development. This an area which has been very subpar for a major or 'elite' program the past few years. The lack of quality ballhandlers from G to F spots.

Question about Battle. So he already basically runs the point for his team? An accomplished ball handler? I remember Francis posted once that when we recruited Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who is 6'7-ish and physical, it was to be a PG. Now I like RHJ and his versatility but never really saw him as a PG. Still don't. Just curious about Battle and his ball handling currently at this stage of his development. This an area which has been very subpar for a major or 'elite' program the past few years. The lack of quality ballhandlers from G to F spots.
Totally different players. I never saw Rondae Jefferson as a point guard whereas Tyus has been a combo guard all the while. Tyus has played the point on his team and is exclusively a back court player. With Jefferon, I never saw that, strictly a forward imo. Tyus' handle is very tight, but he played more of a scorer's role on GSB. Gill St. Bernard's had another terrific hs point guard in John Michael Mea, so Tyus often played off the ball. That said, I don't have any doubts about him playing either position interchangeably.

Totally different players. I never saw Rondae Jefferson as a point guard whereas Tyus has been a combo guard all the while. Tyus has played the point on his team and is exclusively a back court player. With Jefferon, I never saw that, strictly a forward imo. Tyus' handle is very tight, but he played more of a scorer's role on GSB. Gill St. Bernard's had another terrific hs point guard in John Michael Mea, so Tyus often played off the ball. That said, I don't have any doubts about him playing either position interchangeably.

Awesome tee. Thanks. For sure different players. Yeah, it seems like this is the case with Tyus from vids. Super excited about this dude. Can potentially play 2 or 3 positions super well. He would be a HUGE need and get.

Awesome tee. Thanks. For sure different players. Yeah, it seems like this is the case with Tyus from vids. Super excited about this dude. Can potentially play 2 or 3 positions super well. He would be a HUGE need and get.
You got it man and agree, I can definitely see him stretching out to the wing depending on how he progresses physically. But another ball handler and distributor with that size,

tee1222 said:
You got it man and agree, I can definitely see him stretching out to the wing depending on how he progresses physically. But another ball handler and distributor with that size,

Oddly, kinda see Malachi moving to the wing.

Trueblue25 said:
Any shot Malachi is a bigger, better Brandon Triche?

Better shooter, but nowhere near as physical in traffic,

Better shooter, but nowhere near as physical in traffic,

Is that a comparison of both as High School Seniors? Or are you comparing a High School Senior Malachi with a College Senior Triche? This is an important difference, and something that can be difficult to differentiate when comparing a current player with a past player. We have a tendency to remember the past player as they last were, rather than as they were at a similar place in their respective timeline's.

Is that a comparison of both as High School Seniors? Or are you comparing a High School Senior Malachi with a College Senior Triche? This is an important difference, and something that can be difficult to differentiate when comparing a current player with a past player. We have a tendency to remember the past player as they last were, rather than as they were at a similar place in their respective timeline's.

If Malachi has the same numbers as a Freshman year Triche, we all should be happy.

Antiprodigy said:

Just an eye test comparison. Malachi seems to like to play on the perimeter and not muck it up inside. Triche was a warrior inside. Could Malachi change? Sure. Will he. I doubt it. Of course, the usual crew will say I'm knocking Malachi. But that's just his game.

Just an eye test comparison. Malachi seems to like to play on the perimeter and not muck it up inside. Triche was a warrior inside. Could Malachi change? Sure. Will he. I doubt it. Of course, the usual crew will say I'm knocking Malachi. But that's just his game.
I think his handle has improved quite a bit in the past year and now he does take it inside more. But that definitely doesn't seem to be his preference. Guys like Triche and Waiters would drive looking for the contact and be strong enough to get up a decent shot. That is a mindset that is hard to adopt if it isn't one's natural instinct. So, I don't expect him to ever be as aggressive as Triche in driving to the basket, but he is capable and I think he would learn to use the bounce to compliment his perimeter game.

orangefog said:
I think his handle has improved quite a bit in the past year and now he does take it inside more. But that definitely doesn't seem to be his preference. Guys like Triche and Waiters would drive looking for the contact and be strong enough to get up a decent shot. That is a mindset that is hard to adopt if it isn't one's natural instinct. So, I don't expect him to ever be as aggressive as Triche in driving to the basket, but he is capable and I think he would learn to use the bounce to compliment his perimeter game.

I can see that. His handle isn't bad. I see him as a cross between a 2 and a 3. It will be interesting to see where he winds up, but maybe he's just a classic swingman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom