Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

GSB wins their county championship without Tyus. Couldn't play after all.
Jeremy Schneider from Twitter1h
"SCT final tipping shortly. No Tyus Battle for GSB who is out with a foot injury highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/9… #NJhoops #GILLvsRDG"
"Tyus Battle has a walking boot on his right foot. Could be precautionary, but not good highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/9… #NJhoops #GILLvsRDG"
"FINAL: Gill St. Bernard's 48, Ridge 39. The Knights are the Somerset County Tournament champions highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/9… #NJhoops #GILLvsRDG"

Havent had a chance to see much of Battle until recently, he certainly seems to be the real deal, the only thing i can nitpick on him is i dont see him finish with his left (im sure he ll add that basic skill before college) but he reminds me of Dion, not quite as strong but more length. Would love to hear from people how the recruiting battle is shaping up. I would think we have a great shot at him, JB has said he will put the ball in his hands and that seems to be what he wants and what his strength is- a combo guard who can finish strong/explosive like Dion could . But if it comes down to SU and Duke i just cant see K putting the ball in his hands the way JB would. K likes his big guards to be shooters not playmakers and Battles strength doesnt seem to be in spacing the floor and shooting from the wing. Ie he more wants it at the top of the key and make a play off the bounce like Dion would. We seem to be a perfect fit for Battle, hope ncaa doesnt mess things up!

Havent had a chance to see much of Battle until recently, he certainly seems to be the real deal, the only thing i can nitpick on him is i dont see him finish with his left (im sure he ll add that basic skill before college) but he reminds me of Dion, not quite as strong but more length. Would love to hear from people how the recruiting battle is shaping up. I would think we have a great shot at him, JB has said he will put the ball in his hands and that seems to be what he wants and what his strength is- a combo guard who can finish strong/explosive like Dion could . But if it comes down to SU and Duke i just cant see K putting the ball in his hands the way JB would. K likes his big guards to be shooters not playmakers and Battles strength doesnt seem to be in spacing the floor and shooting from the wing. Ie he more wants it at the top of the key and make a play off the bounce like Dion would. We seem to be a perfect fit for Battle, hope ncaa doesnt mess things up!

I saw Battle play in person last season and issued a detailed report. He finished well with his last hand; I think he may have dunked with his left too but I don't remember for sure.

Here are some highlights from my report I did In February 2014--Battle's soph season--these all highlight how strong he is with his left hand...and yes, he did dunk once lefty.

His first basket came on a sick crossover for a lefty layup...my notes said that he faked his guy out of his jock.

One major observation is that though Kid Mamba shoots righty, he is ambidextrous and actually favors the left side. He played a ton of point guard but when he worked off the ball, he camped out usually on the left side.

Right out of the gate, he went off...he single-handedly turned the game into a blowout... highlighted by a thunderous LEFTY dunk off yet another sick crossover.

A high level behind the back, crossover and blow by led to a lefty layup. The Kid has an amazing second gear... One time he faked out his guy so bad the defender literally tripped and went down, as Battle left him in the dust.

My original full report is on page 6 of this thread, if anyone didn't get it when it was posted. I highlighted every meaningful Mamba play.

Last edited:
Thank you! what is your opinion on SU vs Duke for him?

I tend to think he might wind up at Duke, but admittedly I tend to be a glass half empty guy. I think the three factors in our favor are 1) our staff says we will run our offense with him as a primary ball handler... and 2) we were recruiting him very early on and his father remembers that and values our commitment to his son... and 3) Syracuse is a lot closer to NJ and would mean his parents could watch him play easier. I think we have a legit shot but Duke has to be considered the favorite.

Francis is a much better source for this stuff (and everything else re: recruiting) than I am...I'm just a dude who has seen him play in person a few times.

Kid is a potential game-changer. Fingers are crossed.

Last edited:
The sooner he commits the better for SU. He wants to play point at the next level, so SU is a better fit for him. I think SU is in great shape for him. I wouldn't be suprised if he didn't make all of his visits.

The sooner he commits the better for SU. He wants to play point at the next level, so SU is a better fit for him. I think SU is in great shape for him. I wouldn't be suprised if he didn't make all of his visits.

He certainly won't be scared away by our current pg play but what makes you think "SU is in great shape for him?" Just the PG hook or have you heard anything positive?

Can anyone do a T-Rob/Street Fighter photo shop like this lol.
View attachment 37427
View attachment 37702

street fighter.jpg

Said the sanctions have zero effect on him and Cuse:noidea:
Via twitter I assume?

I can only imagine JB is literally calling all recruits explaining what this means and telling those literally at the top of the most wanted list that they would in no way be affected by the scholly reduction. Heck he might be able to spin it as a positive in some regards as more PT early on.

Via twitter I assume?

I can only imagine JB is literally calling all recruits explaining what this means and telling those literally at the top of the most wanted list that they would in no way be affected by the scholly reduction. Heck he might be able to spin it as a positive in some regards as more PT early on.

I thought that too about PT. Almost guaranteed to everyone on ship for the next four years

Via twitter I assume?

Got it from Scout and Tyus' dad said if the coaching staff is still interested then we are still interested.

Got it from Scout and Tyus' dad said if the coaching staff is still interested then we are still interested.
That sounds an awful lot like a man close to pulling the trigger on committing.

Which would certainly be an awesome thing to have in our back pocket post-sanctions announcements

Is Battle supposed to be deciding soon? Because if not, I could see him waiting a bit to see if the penalty is reduced a bit before deciding to pull the trigger.

Is Battle supposed to be deciding soon? Because if not, I could see him waiting a bit to see if the penalty is reduced a bit before deciding to pull the trigger.

Indications of late are that a decision could come at anytime.

I really don't think scholarship limitations will be as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. Don't get me wrong it stings cause we are going to miss out on some great players but we will still be very competitive. The thing that upsets me the most is how many wins we had to vacate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom