Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

just saw that Tyus retweeted this one

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria
Syracuse fans showing their desire for 2016 G Tyus Battle & 2015 PF Moustapha Diagne

proxy.jpg

I ended up sitting a few rows behind the Battle's. Seemed very into the game and more than a few recognized both Kid and Adult Mamba, which they seemed impressed by.

As far as the game, they cheered like any other Orange fan there, which has to be a good sign, considering that Duke is in the picture. I hung around for like 20 minutes after the game, trying to decompress, soak the last of the atmosphere in and process how awesome that game was, and they were still there too. Not sure if that's normal, as if they were waiting to go to the locker room or something, but not surprised by the "blown away" comment as they were standing in a group of six or so people recounting the game like the rest of us.

Best of luck to whatever school gets his next visit, as this will be a tough act to follow.

What a statement from his dad. My god it must be so exciting, but also terrifying to know you can choose to be playing in games like that in 2 yrs instead of watching from the crowd!

The suit thing I think had to deal with Money being donated somehwere I think. Someone mentioned it somewhere.

With all due respect to Jay Wright and the Villanova program, if Tyus was at tonight's game he likely isn't too impressed. After being among the 35,000 plus who witnessed the spectacle in the dome last weekend their venue would appear small time in comparison.;)

@AdamZagoria
Duke will watch 2016 G @kidmamba23 Thursday against St. Benedict's

@AdamZagoria
Turns out @kidmamba23 didn't visit Villanova at the last minute, his dad told me. Also said Duke, Indiana & SMU coming this week to see Tyus

Duke, Indiana, SMU to Watch Tyus Battle; Syracuse Visit Made a Big Impression

Duke associate head coach Steve ”Wojo” Wojciechowski is expected Thursday when Gill hosts St. Benedict’s Prep.

SMU will be in New Jersey Thursday to face Rutgers and head coach Larry Brown is expected to watch Battle at some point.

Indiana head coach Tom Crean and assistant Kenny Johnson are also expected in this week.

He also mentioned that Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua attended one of his games, and Gary Battle, Tyus’ father, said they watched him twice this summer.

Meantime, Syracuse made quite an impression after they beat Duke, 91-89 in OT, in their first-ever ACC meeting.

“The atmosphere was ridiculous,” he said. “The end of the game made the locker room experience much better. Everything was happy and everything. When Duke made the 3 to bring it to overtime, it was ridiculous. A lot of ups and downs in that game.”

The game made an impression on his family, too.

“Well, my mom loved it,” he said. “It was her first college experience like that, so she was just enjoying the experience like all of us.”

Asked if he could see himself fitting in there, Battle said, “Oh, yeah, they like big guards.”

Last edited:
Okay, back from the game. What a performance from Battle in this one! OMG. Kid Mamba is Real Deal Holyfield. Just a top notch talent and once again, I reiterate, a MUST GET. If this kid wears another uni in college, I might have a Bjorn-level meltdown.

Game was GSB at Watchung Hills. Battle started off slow but a huge 2nd Quarter fueled his team to a blowout win.

1st Quarter:

Here are some highlights...

Battle jumped center and easily won the tip for his team.

He had 4 points in the quarter on 2-4 shooting. His two misses were 3s, each were good shots that went in and out. He had a couple assists too, highlighted by one beautiful touch pass to a teammate for an easy layup versus the press. His first basket came on a sick crossover for a lefty layup...my notes said that he faked his guy out of his jock. His other basket came off another crossover and then he made a pretty floater in the lane.

One major observation is that though Kid Mamba shoots righty, he is ambidextrous and actually favors the left side. He played a ton of point guard but when he worked off the ball, he camped out usually on the left side.

One note: Watchung Hills fans chanted, "overrated!" at Battle after he missed his second 3... Bad idea, as Battle exploded in the 2nd quarter.

Quarter ended with GSB leading 17-13 and Battle had 4 points.

2nd Quarter

The message from GBS's coach to Battle must've been to take it hard to the basket, as Battle did so at will in this quarter... He got to the line 5 times in the quarter and was 8-10 from the stripe.

Right out of the gate, he went off...he single-handedly turned the game into a blowout... highlighted by a thunderous LEFTY dunk off yet another sick crossover. The poor Watchung PG tried to get the ball over half court after the dunk but Mamba picked his pocket, leading to another nasty breakaway jam, drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd. The Watchung Hills student section changed their tune after a deep Battle 3 led to a Watchung panic timeout...The Watchung students jokingly chanted, "UNDERrated!" Very funny.

A high level behind the back, crossover and blow by led to a lefty layup. The Kid has an amazing second gear... One time he faked out his guy so bad the defender literally tripped and went down, as Battle left him in the dust.

On another highlight reel play, he went behind the back and finished with a pretty finger roll. His coach took him out with a minute left on the clock...he had 19 in the quarter in seven minutes and he outscored Watchung by himself 19-14.

GSB led at the half 45-27.

2nd half was just about all garbage time, so I'll be a little brief. He only had 7 points the rest of the way...displaying an unselfish game, setting up his teammates when Watchung Hills moved their attention to him and only him.

He did drain a deep three but had a tough half shooting... Still I had him finishing with 30 points on 9-17 shooting in 24 minutes. I had him for about 5 assists but he could've had more if his teammates converted. His coach took him out with about 6:00 left and his team up by over 30 points. I left when the coach cleared the bench, and I doubt he got in again. He won the game for his team in the second quarter, when he was a one-man fast break and wrecking crew.

Some takeaways: his handle is ready to go right now. He's a righty but you wouldn't know it.

After the outcome was no longer in doubt, GSB went Tavern League Zone, and Battle played out top for a while... A preview of his future, I hope? He also played the center on defense for a while too in the zone, which was odd but he is one of the tallest guys on his team.

His jumper is pretty but a little inconsistent. I wouldn't call him a lights out shooter but it's far from a weakness. He's definitely more of a slasher but his jumper is fine.

As he's only a sophomore, I predict Cal and others will jump in soon, as his talents are undeniable. He's also very long, lean and athletic and maybe still growing, based on his frame. He showed great effort all game and plays with a quiet swagger, nothing too fancy or over the top, but the kid is very confident. He has great vision and his passing is top notch as well. His crossover reminds me of Tim Hardaway and I know that's a lofty comparison.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he transfers in order to step up in competition. He was a man among boys in this game.

We need to lock this kid up, as he is an absolute stud.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom