Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Straight up sick writeup, muy muchas gracias.
"his handle is ready to go right now. He's a righty but you wouldn't know it."
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::)

This kid is a must. Such a unique talent, but not just a niche, so well skilled at many facets of the game.
Athlete - check
Handle - check
Doesn't favor a side - check check
Good form - check
Rebounds, defends for his position - check

He's a perfect SU guard, and might end up better or on that MCW level.

Whitey

you do a great job on this forum...you should have way more likes than posts. Keep it coming. LGO.
Thanks Bud!

thumbs-up-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-560.gif

Last edited:
Okay, back from the game. What a performance from Battle in this one! OMG. Kid Mamba is Real Deal Holyfield. Just a top notch talent and once again, I reiterate, a MUST GET. If this kid wears another uni in college, I might have a Bjorn-level meltdown.

Game was GSB at Watchung Hills. Battle started off slow but a huge 2nd Quarter fueled his team to a blowout win.

1st Quarter:

Here are some highlights...

Battle jumped center and easily won the tip for his team.

He had 4 points in the quarter on 2-4 shooting. His two misses were 3s, each were good shots that went in and out. He had a couple assists too, highlighted by one beautiful touch pass to a teammate for an easy layup versus the press. His first basket came on a sick crossover for a lefty layup...my notes said that he faked his guy out of his jock. His other basket came off another crossover and then he made a pretty floater in the lane.

One major observation is that though Kid Mamba shoots righty, he is ambidextrous and actually favors the left side. He played a ton of point guard but when he worked off the ball, he camped out usually on the left side.

One note: Watchung Hills fans chanted, "overrated!" at Battle after he missed his second 3... Bad idea, as Battle exploded in the 2nd quarter.

Quarter ended with GSB leading 17-13 and Battle had 4 points.

2nd Quarter

The message from GBS's coach to Battle must've been to take it hard to the basket, as Battle did so at will in this quarter... He got to the line 5 times in the quarter and was 8-10 from the stripe.

Right out of the gate, he went off...he single-handedly turned the game into a blowout... highlighted by a thunderous LEFTY dunk off yet another sick crossover. The poor Watchung PG tried to get the ball over half court after the dunk but Mamba picked his pocket, leading to another nasty breakaway jam, drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd. The Watchung Hills student section changed their tune after a deep Battle 3 led to a Watchung panic timeout...The Watchung students jokingly chanted, "UNDERrated!" Very funny.

A high level behind the back, crossover and blow by led to a lefty layup. The Kid has an amazing second gear... One time he faked out his guy so bad the defender literally tripped and went down, as Battle left him in the dust.

On another highlight reel play, he went behind the back and finished with a pretty finger roll. His coach took him out with a minute left on the clock...he had 19 in the half in seven minutes and he outscored Watchung by himself 19-14.

GSB led at the half 45-27.

2nd half was just about all garbage time, so I'll be a little brief. He only had 7 points the rest of the way...displaying an unselfish game, setting up his teammates when Watchung Hills moved their attention to him and only him.

He did drain a deep three but had a tough half shooting... Still I had him finishing with 30 points on 9-17 shooting in 24 minutes. I had him for about 5 assists but he could've had more if his teammates converted. His coach took him out with about 6:00 left and his team up by over 30 points. I left when the coach cleared the bench, and I doubt he got in again. He won the game for his team in the second quarter, when he was a one-man fast break and wrecking crew.

Some takeaways: his handle is ready to go right now. He's a righty but you wouldn't know it.

After the outcome was no longer in doubt, GSB went Tavern League Zone, and Battle played out top for a while... A preview of his future, I hope? He also played the center on defense for a while too in the zone, which was odd but he is one of the tallest guys on his team.

His jumper is pretty but a little inconsistent. I wouldn't call him a lights out shooter but it's far from a weakness. He's definitely more or a slasher but his jumper is fine.

As he's only a sophomore, I predict Cal and others will jump in soon, as his talents are undeniable. He's also very long, lean and athletic and maybe still growing, based on his frame. He showed great effort all game and plays with a quiet swagger, nothing too fancy or over the top, but the kid is very confident. He has great vision and his passing is top notch as well. His crossover reminds me of Tim Hardaway and I know that's a lofty comparison.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he transfers in order to step up in competition. He was a man among boys in this game.

We need to lock this kid up, as he is an absolute stud.

Great write up, and it's cool to see the student section not taking themselves too seriously. That made me smile.

I also would have given you a like just for your use of the word "meltdown", which I am tirelessly endeavoring to take off of the endangered traditions list on here. Kudos!

Okay, back from the game. What a performance from Battle in this one! OMG. Kid Mamba is Real Deal Holyfield. Just a top notch talent and once again, I reiterate, a MUST GET. If this kid wears another uni in college, I might have a Bjorn-level meltdown.

Game was GSB at Watchung Hills. Battle started off slow but a huge 2nd Quarter fueled his team to a blowout win.

1st Quarter:

Here are some highlights...

Battle jumped center and easily won the tip for his team.

He had 4 points in the quarter on 2-4 shooting. His two misses were 3s, each were good shots that went in and out. He had a couple assists too, highlighted by one beautiful touch pass to a teammate for an easy layup versus the press. His first basket came on a sick crossover for a lefty layup...my notes said that he faked his guy out of his jock. His other basket came off another crossover and then he made a pretty floater in the lane.

One major observation is that though Kid Mamba shoots righty, he is ambidextrous and actually favors the left side. He played a ton of point guard but when he worked off the ball, he camped out usually on the left side.

One note: Watchung Hills fans chanted, "overrated!" at Battle after he missed his second 3... Bad idea, as Battle exploded in the 2nd quarter.

Quarter ended with GSB leading 17-13 and Battle had 4 points.

2nd Quarter

The message from GBS's coach to Battle must've been to take it hard to the basket, as Battle did so at will in this quarter... He got to the line 5 times in the quarter and was 8-10 from the stripe.

Right out of the gate, he went off...he single-handedly turned the game into a blowout... highlighted by a thunderous LEFTY dunk off yet another sick crossover. The poor Watchung PG tried to get the ball over half court after the dunk but Mamba picked his pocket, leading to another nasty breakaway jam, drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd. The Watchung Hills student section changed their tune after a deep Battle 3 led to a Watchung panic timeout...The Watchung students jokingly chanted, "UNDERrated!" Very funny.

A high level behind the back, crossover and blow by led to a lefty layup. The Kid has an amazing second gear... One time he faked out his guy so bad the defender literally tripped and went down, as Battle left him in the dust.

On another highlight reel play, he went behind the back and finished with a pretty finger roll. His coach took him out with a minute left on the clock...he had 19 in the half in seven minutes and he outscored Watchung by himself 19-14.

GSB led at the half 45-27.

2nd half was just about all garbage time, so I'll be a little brief. He only had 7 points the rest of the way...displaying an unselfish game, setting up his teammates when Watchung Hills moved their attention to him and only him.

He did drain a deep three but had a tough half shooting... Still I had him finishing with 30 points on 9-17 shooting in 24 minutes. I had him for about 5 assists but he could've had more if his teammates converted. His coach took him out with about 6:00 left and his team up by over 30 points. I left when the coach cleared the bench, and I doubt he got in again. He won the game for his team in the second quarter, when he was a one-man fast break and wrecking crew.

Some takeaways: his handle is ready to go right now. He's a righty but you wouldn't know it.

After the outcome was no longer in doubt, GSB went Tavern League Zone, and Battle played out top for a while... A preview of his future, I hope? He also played the center on defense for a while too in the zone, which was odd but he is one of the tallest guys on his team.

His jumper is pretty but a little inconsistent. I wouldn't call him a lights out shooter but it's far from a weakness. He's definitely more of a slasher but his jumper is fine.

As he's only a sophomore, I predict Cal and others will jump in soon, as his talents are undeniable. He's also very long, lean and athletic and maybe still growing, based on his frame. He showed great effort all game and plays with a quiet swagger, nothing too fancy or over the top, but the kid is very confident. He has great vision and his passing is top notch as well. His crossover reminds me of Tim Hardaway and I know that's a lofty comparison.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he transfers in order to step up in competition. He was a man among boys in this game.

We need to lock this kid up, as he is an absolute stud.
Great stuff once again iommi. Hopefully we can eventually close this one out.

For you experts who follow the recruits, does having an Iceman like Ennis actually hurt us when trying to recruit his replacement? Ennis is so unbelievably efficient and clutch I gotta think its gonna be hard for whoever comes in to replace him, whether its Kaleb Joseph next year or Battle in 16. Does that play into it at all, generally speaking?

For you experts who follow the recruits, does having an Iceman like Ennis actually hurt us when trying to recruit his replacement? Ennis is so unbelievably efficient and clutch I gotta think its gonna be hard for whoever comes in to replace him, whether its Kaleb Joseph next year or Battle in 16. Does that play into it at all, generally speaking?
No. If anything these youngins will feel like they can be even better than Ennis and would love the chance to one up him. Ennis freshman year so far and MCW's terrific NBA start is going to do wonders for SU recruiting, especially at the guard department.

I think the success of MCW, Ennis and our program is going to create a point guard pipeline at SU. It's all good.
If we presume some fantasy and think that Ennis returns I love the backcourt as one of the strongest in the country. Think about Ennis,Joseph.Cooney and Gbinije in the rotation. It helps with losing CJ and Jeremi AND KEITA.

Payback time indeed, not only for the other day but for last year's loss to this Ridge team.
Tyus rips Ridge and company a new "Tony Greene" as he drops 30 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and a block.
From the man himself:
' "Last year, I think we underachieved a little bit in the county finals," Battle said. "So, it's good to get a big win. Even if I'm not making my shots, anything I can do to help my team win. And luckily I was making my shot today." '

GSB is on to their county's finals.

Battle goes for 24 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal and 1 block as Gill St. Bernards wins by 35.
This was just a tuneup. By the look of the box score and the amount of players that got run, I'm guessing he didn't play that much towards the end. Their sectional final is at home on 3/1 at 3pm.

Be there, or be prepared to be attacked by snakes. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom