U.S. Open | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

U.S. Open

I think it's a great leader board. Jason Day trying to overcome vertigo. Dustin Johnson trying to win the major that has eluded him, (one of them because of that weird ruling at Whistling Straights). Jordan Spieth with a chance at a run for a Grand Slam.Rory McElroy now pressuring the leaders. I hate the coruse but love the tournament.

That's what my dad and I decided today. We both hate the course but the players are making it so exciting that it's a watchable tournament.

Many courses in Scotland have somewhat the same look. The grass is the same from tee to green, no trees and severe gathering bunkers. I suspect this course is simply too young. Hazelton was just a poor layout and was completely redone.

I think it's a great leader board. Jason Day trying to overcome vertigo. Dustin Johnson trying to win the major that has eluded him, (one of them because of that weird ruling at Whistling Straights). Jordan Spieth with a chance at a run for a Grand Slam.Rory McElroy now pressuring the leaders. I hate the coruse but love the tournament.
No doubt the fourth round leader board is much better than the 3rd round. How often do you have four guys tied for the lead of a major going in the last day. This back nine should be great. Still anyone's title to win. If Jason Day isn't going to win, I would definitely like to see Spieth win this. That would be awesome.

Spieth just locked up Player of the Year and we will have a Grand Slam in play at St. Andrew's. St. Andrew's will be a two horse race between Spieth and Rory.

Feel bad for Dustin that second putt was scary tough.

Choke.

What a dumb course... Seriously, that course should not hold another US open again.

Spieth's second major was won at a younger age than Tiger's 2nd major. The potential Rory-Jordan rivalry looks awesome as Tiger really never had an equal. Spieth and Rory are the young guns. 2 majors for Spieth and Rory has 4 majors.

I agree with Weiskopf's point about par- who cares whether #18 is a par 4 or a par 5? It's your score vs. the other guy's. Par is just an opinion.

What.

A.

Choke.
Sure it was a choke but he never would have even been in that position if he didn't hit such a great 2nd shot and if Spieth didn't double bogey number 17. I'm sure DJ is going to have a hard time sleeping tonight.

Could we have a Triple Crown and a Grand Slam in the same year? :cool:

Sure it was a choke but he never would have even been in that position if he didn't hit such a great 2nd shot and if Spieth didn't double bogey number 17. I'm sure DJ is going to have a hard time sleeping tonight.
oh I'm sure he will sleep fine, if you well ugh know what I mean...

Also- Fox's broadcast started out uneven but got better as they went along. I thought Greg Norman was fabulous.

Choke.

What a dumb course... Seriously, that course should not hold another US open again.
It was such an odd course with all of the bunkers and the hills and stuff. On just about every shot the ball would roll away from where you hit it to. Funny thing is the winner should have been Oosthuizen. He shot 66, 66 and 67 on his last three rounds. Too bad his opening round he shot a 77. Once he figured the course out he played great.

It was such an odd course with all of the bunkers and the hills and stuff. On just about every shot the ball would roll away from where you hit it to. Funny thing is the winner should have been Oosthuizen. He shot 66, 66 and 67 on his last three rounds. Too bad his opening round he shot a 77. Once he figured the course out he played great.
I just got frustrated watching it today... I mean like some shots were straight up "come on's" for lack of a better explanation..

This US Open played like a British Open without the crazy wind and all the hills. Dustin Johnson didn't choke those putts weren't easy and those greens were crazy tough.

Is the us open not at the same course every year?

I usually only watch the big events, but that course was like none I've ever seen

Is the us open not at the same course every year?

I usually only watch the big events, but that course was like none I've ever seen
US Open rotates every year but certain courses are always in the rotation like Pinhurst No.2, Pebble Beach, Bethpage Black.

Alsacs said:
This US Open played like a British Open without the crazy wind and all the hills. Dustin Johnson didn't choke those putts weren't easy and those greens were crazy tough.

Totally agree about the greens. That's why I hesitate to call it a choke even though it looked like an easy putt to a lot of people. Every player missed a putt like that this week- most more than one

3 putt from 11ft = choke. But the greens are crazy tough...

Last edited:
Reminds me of Davis Love III, who did the same thing at the 72nd hole of the 1996 US Open at Oakland Hills (next year's venue) to lose to Steve Jones. Every pro, as a kid, has practiced making a 3-foot putt to win the US Open hundreds or thousands of times. Difficult to watch.

Edit: BTW DJ hit two great shots to put the ball 11 feet away for a chance to win - hardly the work of a choker. Many players have missed short putts while at or near the lead on the last two or three holes of majors. Some I remember include - Nicklaus, Palmer, Love, Snead, Hogan, Jacklin, Ballesteros, Mickelson (more than once), Scot Hoch, Doug Sanders and a lot more I can't remember. Don't think they were all chokers.

Last edited:
Also- Fox's broadcast started out uneven but got better as they went along. I thought Greg Norman was fabulous.

When he wasn't going gaga over the Australians, I agree. Part of it is needing a change of pace from Johny Miller but I also just found Norman to be far more informative and he seemed very honest in his assessments rather than TV trained.

Oosty should get a medal of honor for having to play with Tiger and Fowler in the first 2 rounds. Those guys were brutal and I don't know how he managed to make the cut playing with them. Oosty when healthy is still one of the best in the world. He has a great natural swing rather than one of these technically built ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom