UConn and the Big 12 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UConn and the Big 12

So the ACC passed on UConn for SU, Pitt, Louisville. The B1G passed on UConn for RU. The B12 will pass on UConn for 4 of BYU, CSU, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF. And the AAC might have to replace 4 of the above teams with 4 teams from Army, UMass, FAU, FIU, Rice, ODU, Marshall, Charlotte. That would be some football and basketball conference. Also that is assuming the conference even sticks together. Would the TV contract be void if the AAC loses 4 of the 11 full members? So even if the AAC survives it could end up getting a smaller TV contract. UConn might as well join the Big East and move football to the MAC.

So the ACC passed on UConn for SU, Pitt, Louisville. The B1G passed on UConn for RU. The B12 will pass on UConn for 4 of BYU, CSU, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF. And the AAC might have to replace 4 of the above teams with 4 teams from Army, UMass, FAU, FIU, Rice, ODU, Marshall, Charlotte. That would be some football and basketball conference. Also that is assuming the conference even sticks together. Would the TV contract be void if the AAC loses 4 of the 11 full members? So even if the AAC survives it could end up getting a smaller TV contract. UConn might as well join the Big East and move football to the MAC.
No league would accept their football program without their basketball program.

No league would accept their football program without their basketball program.

Yep, I just don't see how UConn gets in unless the Big12 wants them only to help strengthen the basketball program, but Memphis can do the same thing and has better upside with football, as well as being closer (though, I don't generally but into the "travel cost" argument).

Jake said:
I'll be honest, I don't know how Uconn fans will survive this latest round of expansion. I would be out of my freaking mind if we were in their shoes. If they get passed over again...

Hiring Pasqualoni after Edsall left was truly catastrophic. Not that there was any guarantee a different hire would've been able to make a big enough difference, but having their mediocre program completely crater right as the ACC was looking to replace Maryland was the worst timing imaginable. It made taking Louisville a no brainer.

I think many of their fans would be happy to drop to independence in football and join the Big East for everything else.

uconn.jpg

Here's the thing...I think no matter what, the ACC would take them as #16 if paired with ND.

If ND ever comes to the ACC it will not be from a position of power dictating who comes with them.

That's a good point. But if ND is joining a conference because the football playoff is limited to conference champions, wouldn't that put the Big 10 into the mix, too? None of this is happening for at least 10 years.

I think their best chance is in the Big 10, to provide some regional balance for Rutgers and Penn State. They are way too far away from the Big 12 footprint.

Rutgers already has Maryland and PSU. No need to provide any further bridges or travel partners until that sorry excuse for an athletic program shows something on the field. That's unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Besides, the B1G has eyes on Texas and Oklahoma. Best hope for the Huskies in the B1G is if that conference also wants Kansas and decides to take UCONN as #18.

That's a good point. But if ND is joining a conference because the football playoff is limited to conference champions, wouldn't that put the Big 10 into the mix, too? None of this is happening for at least 10 years.
Maybe after the GoR expires. One thing to keep in mind, ND has often been described as an East Coast school that happens to be located in the Midwest. That was the draw for it to join the BE and ACC.

ND likes hitting the east coast schools as thedrawy many Catholic kids from the east coast for the student population. Six games annually against east coast schools (5ACC and Navy) a couple west coast (USC and Stanford), a couple in the and west and a clue to play with (Midwest?).

From a marketing viewpoint, ND has exactly what they need.

I'm not sure why this would be a good thing for the ACC if the Big XII further increases its presence in the ACC footprint. With WVU in there, I've already seen increased Big XII presence in Virginia that wasn't there before. We have a lot of WVU fans in Richmond. I'd much rather see them as ACC rivals than be looking at Big XII games all the time.

I don't know if the Big XII wants to come as far east as Connecticut, but given what the ACC has been trying to do in the northeast, I don't think it would be good to see the ACC sit back on its laurels with our new ACC Network coming and let the Big XII come in and plant a flag in New England by taking a whole state. And I do think UConn is widely supported in Connecticut.

Rutgers didn't bother me because less than 15% of college football fans in New Jersey follow Rutgers. In Connecticut it's about 65% following UConn. These are according to the New York Times fan map.

Maybe it is just me, but I'm looking at the region more than a football team coming into the ACC.

What the heck is a "Big 12 presence"? Lots of Kansas State fans?

What the heck is a "Big 12 presence"? Lots of Kansas State fans?

Big XII televised events having airtime on the television sets in the region trumping any other events shown on those televisions. Kansas State fans won't show up in person, no. But you'd have to watch them from a distance and miss ACC games. I see more Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State in my face now than I've ever seen before with WVU in that league.

Before I was getting a good dose of the Big East and got used to it, and now most of it is in the ACC so that's fine. The Big XII is foreign and has replaced it regarding WVU. And comparatively, Maryland is gone from television sets in the Richmond region. I can't remember the last time even seeing Maryland on television for football or basketball. The local CBS affiliate shows the Raycom ACC feeds all Saturday and Sunday trumping all Big Ten basketball coverage in the area.

I'm not sure why this would be a good thing for the ACC if the Big XII further increases its presence in the ACC footprint. With WVU in there, I've already seen increased Big XII presence in Virginia that wasn't there before. We have a lot of WVU fans in Richmond. I'd much rather see them as ACC rivals than be looking at Big XII games all the time.

I don't know if the Big XII wants to come as far east as Connecticut, but given what the ACC has been trying to do in the northeast, I don't think it would be good to see the ACC sit back on its laurels with our new ACC Network coming and let the Big XII come in and plant a flag in New England by taking a whole state. And I do think UConn is widely supported in Connecticut.

Rutgers didn't bother me because less than 15% of college football fans in New Jersey follow Rutgers. In Connecticut it's about 65% following UConn. These are according to the New York Times fan map.

Maybe it is just me, but I'm looking at the region more than a football team coming into the ACC.

This is my thinking as well. If there was anyway of adding UConn to the ACC now, I'd go for it.

This is my thinking as well. If there was anyway of adding UConn to the ACC now, I'd go for it.
The best way, and probably only way at this time would be to structure a long term gradual buy in to the league. When Syracuse and Pitt joined, they each received a full payout. Rutgers is taking 7 years to get that from the Big Ten with incremental increases. The ACC could look at a relatively low payment for UConn to start with a gradual increase to full payment. That's all the Big XII will give them anyway as well.

I just don't like the thought of competing conferences coming into our footprint any more than they are already here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom