UConn counts Syracuse in the W column | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn counts Syracuse in the W column

Wild thoughts often emerge whilst smoking bath salts and chugging Windex.

donniesyracuse said:
so Syracuse vs Louisville is not comparable to Syracuse vs UComn. A better comparison would be when many here saw last year's USF game as a win. My original point was that there is plenty of delusion on both boards. I'm not sure why you felt the need to challenge that pretty obvious point. If it's important to declare that this board is slightly more realistic, than fine. Good for us

False equivalencies drive me nuts. Yeah, so if we're slightly more realistic - we're not the same.

I'm having a really hard time understanding their reasoning... they have mentioned countless times in that thread that we've only won 7 games in the last two years, therefore we suck. But then I look at their last two seasons and they've only won 8 games, while playing in the AAC. Really scratching my head over here.

Edit: To their posters who predict us scoring 13-20 points. I hope we Dungey throws for 3 and runs for another and we pour 35 on them.

Last edited:
not sure why a team playing a bad team at home would ever not expect to win.

Honestly if you take the viewpoint of outside this board...we have a horrible defense moving to a scheme which on paper might even allow more yards than our last one did. Our roster at DE was decimated. New coach, new system, possible injury prone QB, unproven RBs, etc. It really isn't too hard for even crappy teams to overlook us. That's because outsiders aren't looking for signs of possible progress, they are looking for weaknesses. Those of us on this board are looking at the possible positives. UCONN fans didn't see the team score 10 TDs in the spring game, Babers isn't their coach so they didn't do the research and they don't see that his team still perform very admirably right out of the gate. They don't see that he's been a HC 4 years and gone to a conference championship every year. They don't see that his staff isn't hobbled together last minute like Grob. They don't see a system that the coaches have mastered implementing. And they certainly don't see what 100+ plays per game is going to do to their below average defense. I don't blame them for thinking they will win, good for them. That being said, I hope they all get mange.

902066_10201000892927272_1368320619_o.jpg

False equivalencies drive me nuts. Yeah, so if we're slightly more realistic - we're not the same.
I suppose one could do a content analysis of both boards and find that there is a difference. Without objective measurement, we are just dealing in selective perception. My personal unscientific belief is that fan psychology is pretty much universal. All fan bases have their reasonable and unreasonable members. I'm not prepared to declare that Syracuse or UConn fans are particularly unique. It would be a fun study though. I wish I had more time.

It's easy to say "hey both sides have crazy fans, so they must be equal" - but look around - most here have been pretty realistic about the coming season. (Most here are loathe to write off UCONN, though with their offense, it's not a hard case. They created an abnormal amount of TO's last season. That's more likely to return to the avg.)
Believe it or not, the most delusional fans when it comes to predicting season records are Ga Tech's. Some writer did a comparison of what fan boards predicted for their team's record and what it actually turned out to be over a period of years. While the Ga Tech fans didn't predict they'd win everything every year, they didn't stray too far from doing that.

donniesyracuse said:
I suppose one could do a content analysis of both boards and find that there is a difference. Without objective measurement, we are just dealing in selective perception. My personal unscientific belief is that fan psychology is pretty much universal. All fan bases have their reasonable and unreasonable members. I'm not prepared to declare that Syracuse or UConn fans are particularly unique. It would be a fun study though. I wish I had more time.

Agreed. It's def hard to quantify. I just find this particular attempt to be faulty. They should not be looking past a P5 game, ever. We talk a big game about Wake and BC - but I think we all know we're not FSU or Clemson.

Fans here are shy about declaring victory over a FCS school too soon.

I'm sure they are just looking at last year's records when UConn made the mighty St Petersburg Bowl only to lose to Marshall. We'll see what happens on the field this year but this is one game I feel pretty confident of a win.
This post totally caught me off guard - I had assumed uconn won around 3 games last year - went and did some research and they actually did go to a bowl and and we're the only team to beat 13-1 Houston

This completely changed my perspective on this game - SU only wins by 20.

Hell, what else are they going to say? If you can't be delusional on your school's sports' message board, where can you?

Half this board will pick SU to beat Clemson --including me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom