UConn, SU still talking | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn, SU still talking

Texas and OU weren't in the same conference when the RRR began.

Well they are now. It's so not close to the same thing. If OU played in C-USA it wouldn't.

With only 10 non-conference slots each year and a tournament being one of them which allows you to play 4 games that count as 1 game. I can't see us playing UConn for the forseeable future.
Tournament for 4 games as 1
Colgate
Cornell
B1G-ACC game
2 of Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova
That leaves 4 cupcakes and 18 conference games.

Sorry no room for UConn unless they will play their home games at MSG as Nova,Gtown,SJU are more valuable for recruiting.

Last edited:
I don't understand why we can't schedule a home-and-home or a neutral site game with UConn, a successful program we have a ton of history with. If we can do it with St. John's, Villanova, and Georgetown - programs that frankly are not on par with UConn from a success or fan support perspective - then we can do it with the Huskies.

Conference realignment is all about football, so I don't understand the logic of playing the "they're in a lesser conference" card. They play in the American, but that doesn't matter at all; the AAC and Big East are pretty much on the same level. UConn isn't in a P5 conference because of geography and lack of football history/ "brand." The hoops program is recognized by everyone as a high-level national program.

These games are for the fans. As a fan, I always looked forward to playing UConn, a rival and peer program. We should play.

I don't understand why we can't schedule a home-and-home or a neutral site game with UConn, a successful program we have a ton of history with. If we can do it with St. John's, Villanova, and Georgetown - programs that frankly are not on par with UConn from a success or fan support perspective - then we can do it with the Huskies.

Conference realignment is all about football, so I don't understand the logic of playing the "they're in a lesser conference" card. They play in the American, but that doesn't matter at all; the AAC and Big East are pretty much on the same level. UConn isn't in a P5 conference because of geography and lack of football history/ "brand." The hoops program is recognized by everyone as a high-level national program.

These games are for the fans. As a fan, I always looked forward to playing UConn, a rival and peer program. We should play.

We recruit NY, Philly, DC and have more alumni there than Hartford.

Rivalries change pretty fast. Duke is now must see, didn't exist this time last year.

Duke is now must see, didn't exist this time last year.

Certain folks among us are on record for years complaining that Duke and other major programs were rarely scheduled for our OOC. I always envied fans of teams that played tougher non-conference schedules(DUKE, UNC, Kansas, etc), although I know plenty of people on here get more hyped up about the St Boneventure Bonnies. We complain about the lack of perception as elite, but the elite teams generally schedule some tougher OOC opponents than we had for a long stretch. I'm excited to see us now playing some potentially ranked teams other than in tournaments. I get JB's logic of avoiding challenges early, and we could always schedule UConn for the late OOC game if it's that much of an issue. For my individual opinion, I'd rather be known as a team who takes on all comers, occasionally outside of New York before conference play. I respect those who disagree, though. To each their own.

Syracuse has more basketball history with the other 3. Yukon hoops didn't really start until 16 years later. That's 16 years too late, just like their football program.

Playing UConn is not necessary we only have 10 non-conference slots. Gtown(DC), Nova(Philly), SJU(MSG) are for recruiting purposes. What recruits do we get from Hartford/Storrs.

UConn fans act like we owe them support for the ACC decision for Louisville. and their whiny we deserve better mindset. Syracuse owed UConn nothing we left the Big East in 2013 without suing the conference and being pretty up front that we wanted out since 2003. UConn has an elite BB program but I don't care about playing them. We will 18 ACC games, 2 BE games from Nova/Gtown/SJU, a Big Ten team, Colgate/Cornell, a tournament with 2 Power teams, and 4 cupcakes.
Playing UConn on top instead of cupcake is not reasonable. Let them b*tch about us leaving them and just move on.

Certain folks among us are on record for years complaining that Duke and other major programs were rarely scheduled for our OOC. I always envied fans of teams that played tougher non-conference schedules(DUKE, UNC, Kansas, etc), although I know plenty of people on here get more hyped up about the St Boneventure Bonnies. We complain about the lack of perception as elite, but the elite teams generally schedule some tougher OOC opponents than we had for a long stretch. I'm excited to see us now playing some potentially ranked teams other than in tournaments. I get JB's logic of avoiding challenges early, and we could always schedule UConn for the late OOC game if it's that much of an issue. For my individual opinion, I'd rather be known as a team who takes on all comers, occasionally outside of New York before conference play. I respect those who disagree, though. To each their own.

OOC we play a top 3 of so B1G program in the challenge, early season tournaments generally at MSG, and have Villanova, SJU, and now GTown in that group. That's plenty. It's pointless to play a former rival with something to prove. At least there is a recruiting and fan logic with the other Big East games.

We played Kansas in KC a few years back and beat them too.

OOC we play a top 3 of so B1G program in the challenge, early season tournaments generally at MSG, and have Villanova, SJU, and now GTown in that group. That's plenty. It's pointless to play a former rival with something to prove. At least there is a recruiting and fan logic with the other Big East games.

We played Kansas in KC a few years back and beat them too.

I hear you and like the direction we're headed, but just feel it's been the exception and not the rule.

We recruit NY, Philly, DC and have more alumni there than Hartford.

Rivalries change pretty fast. Duke is now must see, didn't exist this time last year.

Do you really think recruiting areas comes into this? UConn been recruiting nationally for years...

This year's line up?
Boatshow - Chicago, we don't play there
Brimah - FL, but I don't think playing USF is why we beat Old Dominion and FL Int
Purvis - North Carolina, we don't play there
Hamilton - LA, CA, we don't play there
Nolan - WI, we don't play there.

Last year's NC Team
Boston, we don't play there
Chicago, we don't play there
WI, we don't play there
Berlin, Germany, we don't play there
LA, CA,we don't play there

Does SU really only recruit where it plays?

Do you really think recruiting areas comes into this? UConn been recruiting nationally for years...

This year's line up?
Boatshow - Chicago, we don't play there
Brimah - FL, but I don't think playing USF is why we beat Old Dominion and FL Int
Purvis - North Carolina, we don't play there
Hamilton - LA, CA, we don't play there
Nolan - WI, we don't play there.

Last year's NC Team
Boston, we don't play there
Chicago, we don't play there
WI, we don't play there
Berlin, Germany, we don't play there
LA, CA,we don't play there

Does SU really only recruit where it plays?

We really don't care where you recruit.

It's about what's best for SU - we don't do roadies to mid major conference gyms.

It's not like the committee ignores OOC SOS when determining the field.

There a more pluses (exposure, TV, greater fan interest, etc..) than minuses (potentially losing, giving up a home game every couple of years) to playing the best schedule possible.

We really don't care where you recruit.

It's about what's best for SU - we don't do roadies to mid major conference gyms.

Giggle. Giggle.

UConn doesn't need SU. You live in fantasy land if you think we do.

Call us mid major if you like, just don't forget to say, 4 time NC mid major.

Then stop trolling this board pumping up this game. You were the first response to the OP. Sorry, but we don't need UConn on the schedule.

sdhusky said:
Do you really think recruiting areas comes into this? UConn been recruiting nationally for years... This year's line up? Boatshow - Chicago, we don't play there Brimah - FL, but I don't think playing USF is why we beat Old Dominion and FL Int Purvis - North Carolina, we don't play there Hamilton - LA, CA, we don't play there Nolan - WI, we don't play there. Last year's NC Team Boston, we don't play there Chicago, we don't play there WI, we don't play there Berlin, Germany, we don't play there LA, CA,we don't play there Does SU really only recruit where it plays?

We recruit nationally too. Every place but Hartford.

No problem playing UConn. As long it rotates between the Dome and MSG.

Giggle. Giggle.

Call us mid major if you like, just don't forget to say, 4 time NC mid major.

You're on this site, we're not on yours.

To our UConn friend I hear from Providence friends that the Friars have an opening. Play Providence home/home Syracuse has contracts home/home with the former rivals that matter to the fan base and give us recruiting advantages. If UConn wanted to plays its home games at MSG that would be the carrot to make a series appealing.

We have St John's on the future schedule and Georgetown and Villanova.

Enough is enough. We are about to overdo the nostalgia part of our schedule.

Lets focus on the ACC and ease off the trying to re-live the Big East stuff.

We have St John's on the future schedule and Georgetown and Villanova.

Enough is enough. We are about to overdo the nostalgia part of our schedule.

Lets focus on the ACC and ease off the trying to re-live the Big East stuff.

NYC, DC, Philly . . . . . . . .

NYC, DC, Philly, Storz . . . . . . . .

Which one of these is not like the other?

I still can't believe they moved our game from the XL (which blows but is at least in an urban area) to rural Storz and that HS Gym.

Which one of these is not like the other?

I still can't believe they moved our game from the XL (which blows but is at least in an urban area) to rural Storz and that HS Gym.
All those national championship banners give Gampel a very cosmopolitan feel...

All those national championship banners give Gampel a very cosmopolitan feel...
Enjoy Gampel then. Our teams are not scheduled to meet for the foreseeable future except maybe in Atlantis in 2015 our fanbase has moved on to the ACC and your fanbase has moved on to the American. We wish you well in your future endeavors I heard Providence is interested in playing UConn go ask them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom