UNC Academic Fraud Details | Syracusefan.com

UNC Academic Fraud Details

Great...even more ammo for the NCAA to use to hammer Syracuse...
Umm, that's a good thing for Syracuse. You can't drop the hammer on Syracuse while giving UNC a slap on the wrist for the largest case of academic fraud in NCAA history. Judging by their lack of action considering the overwhelming evidence so far and the joint statement UNC and the NCAA just released, UNC will get a slap on the wrist.

Umm, that's a good thing for Syracuse. You can't drop the hammer on Syracuse while giving UNC a slap on the wrist for the largest case of academic fraud in NCAA history. Judging by their lack of action considering the overwhelming evidence so far and the joint statement UNC and the NCAA just released, UNC will get a slap on the wrist.

I think the UNC fans have suffered enough. I mean, frat and sorority students took these classes too. Clearly an academic issue not athletic.

Power point slide:

“We put them in classes that met degree requirements in which … they didn’t go to class … they didn’t have to take notes, have to stay awake … they didn’t have to meet with professors … they didn’t have to pay attention or necessarily engage with the material,” the slide said. “THESE NO LONGER EXIST!”

Not great for UNC, but also not terrible either. Report had a number of bad (and good) things for UNC.

Bad
-Debbie Crowder graded papers when she shouldn't have
-A lot of athletes took these classes
-Athletic staff knew these courses were "Easy A's" and pushed their students to them
-Crowder "skimmed" the papers and gave them all Bs or As, which led to plagiarism
-Football staff "suggested" what grades players needed to Crowder

Good
-No evidence of "fake" classes-all classes involved work and no students were given grades for nothing
-No evidence to support McCants' allegations
-Whole scheme basically orchestrated by one person (Crowder, which she admittted to)
-Roy didn't know anything about the courses but was suspicious of so many of his players majoring in AFAM, directed staff to fix this
-Classes were "Easy A's" but were not "fake classes"...so, by steering students and athletes to easy A courses, UNC wasn't much different than Stanford or Duke, which both made news for doing same
-These classes were taken by more than just athletes...I.E. Greeks, Morehead Students, or anyone looking for an Easy A
-No evidence of improper grade changes.

Given the information that came out today, I think the NCAA might do something, but I don't see any major NCAA ramifications coming out of this. Still embarrassing for the university, though.

Good
No evidence of "fake" classes-all classes involved work and no students were given grades for nothing
Really? I don't' remember getting A's in college for one paper in a class that was full of quotes or plagiarized. What is your definition of doing nothing???

-Roy didn't know anything about the courses but was suspicious of so many of his players majoring in AFAM, directed staff to fix this
Right. And Shultz really did "Know nothing" when Hogan was banging Helga.

-Classes were "Easy A's" but were not "fake classes"...so, by steering students and athletes to easy A courses, UNC wasn't much different than Stanford or Duke, which both made news for doing same
What is your definition of a fake class? If you submit a bubble gum wrapper and not a paper that is plagiarized?

-These classes were taken by more than just athletes...I.E. Greeks, Morehead Students, or anyone looking for an Easy A
Ok. This might be typical of the quality of a UNC education. I don't know. I think I would question and UNC degree going forward. Who would have thought that UofL & FSU is better academically???

-No evidence of improper grade changes.
Because the teacher was told ahead of time what grade the student needed

Given the information that came out today, I think the NCAA might do something, but I don't see any major NCAA ramifications coming out of this. Still embarrassing for the university, though.

Agree with you sdhusky that the report is embarrassing. (Also, forgot to mention that the report stated that all wrongdoing ended in 2011). But, you are taking issues with the conclusions from the report...I'm simply repeating what Wainstein said after his investigation.

Completely missed the joke in my post...

Agree with you sdhusky that the report is embarrassing. (Also, forgot to mention that the report stated that all wrongdoing ended in 2011). But, you are taking issues with the conclusions from the report...I'm simply repeating what Wainstein said after his investigation.
Plagiarism which it stated 25% of the papers had is usually a failing grade, in some curriculum's you can be expelled. That is academic fraud, at the highest level, and you can't sugar coat it.

If I was posting good news from that report, I would start with the fact that the Head Football coach didn't cover up any pedofilia ongoing on his staff.

Which, apparently, is only slightly worse than a retroactive APR issue.

If I was posting good news from that report, I would start with the fact that the Head Football coach didn't cover up any pedofilia ongoing on his staff.

nobody connected with UConn can throw stones about pedo coverups

Plagiarism which it stated 25% of the papers had is usually a failing grade, in some curriculum's you can be expelled. That is academic fraud, at the highest level, and you can't sugar coat it.

It absolutely was academic fraud. No one disputes that.

Right. Turned out that was only the first draft for the class that was turned in for teacher feedback.

No, it wasn't even a completed draft, it was part of a short answer to one question on a take-home final (i.e., not a paper assignment), by an unknown student, for a class that was never a "no-show" class, and that never existed in the time period that it allegedly came from.

And your point is??? Anyway...9 people either dismissed or reprimanded by UNC for scandal ... hmmm, no mention of Roy Williams on either of those lists. I guess the NCAA will be satisfied now...no sanctions.

And your point is??? Anyway...9 people either dismissed or reprimanded by UNC for scandal ... hmmm, no mention of Roy Williams on either of those lists. I guess the NCAA will be satisfied now...no sanctions.

My point is that the story about the paper was made up. Nothing more.

And why would Roy be reprimanded? Wainstein made it clear that Roy had no knowledge of the classes and was in no way complicit in the scheme.