UNC Academic Fraud Details | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Academic Fraud Details

itsbotime said:
UNC begged McCants to talk to Wainstein. McCants refused and told Wainstein that he did not have anything to say about the allegations. Then he went onto ESPN. Wainstein contacted him again, afterwards, and attempted to interview, but again, McCants declined. McCants wanted money to talk-he is broke.

UNC paid him $10m. How much are they going to pay the other 1,500 athletes?

cuseguy said:
Yeah, in light of our situation, the Carolina stuff is secondary.

It's all good fun. I know we'll get punishments, and we'll probably deserve it. But I know we didn't have a systemic scam over 18 years helping 1500 athletes stay eligible. UNC deserves the death penalty. We'll lose some wins and get a post season ban. Maybe a couple scholies too.

UNC paid him $10m. How much are they going to pay the other 1,500 athletes?

Now you are just making stuff up. UNC didn't pay McCants a dime. McCants said that UNC was going to pay him $10 million and the NCAA was going to pay him $300 million. UNC and the NCAA laughed at that. McCants is a strait loon. Like I said, pretty telling when three separate coaches, in the NCAA and in the NBA, told him that he needed to seek psychological help.

It's all good fun. I know we'll get punishments, and we'll probably deserve it. But I know we didn't have a systemic scam over 18 years helping 1500 athletes stay eligible. UNC deserves the death penalty. We'll lose some wins and get a post season ban. Maybe a couple scholies too.

If UNC deserves the death penalty, then you might as well just shut down college sports altogether, because UNC recruits the same guys that everyone else does.

Which allegations specifically? All of them? No. No because his report specifically supports many of McCants statements. Almost word for word. You said 100% were false and that's a lie. Read the report. Read what McCants said. Paper classes. Check. No attendance. Check. Etc.

Then go find out who Crowders close friend was. It's out there. Then go check what Crowder sometimes did after a basketball loss. Go check her quotes why she set up the fake classes.

Wainstein said that there was no evidence to support McCants' assertions. If you have a problem with Wainstein's report, perhaps you should write him and ask him to clarify.

It seems you're suggesting that ESPN paid McCants.
What leads you to believe that?

ABC News has explicitly banned paying interviewees.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...cle-bans-paying-news-subjects-for-photos.html

Given that the guy behind the ban, Ben Sherwood, is now the # 2 guy at parent Disney, it's hard to believe that ESPN paying for an interview would be anything but a career-ending move.

In the interests of full disclosure, I worked for Ben Sherwood. In all the time I was at ABC doing investigative work, there's only one practice I ever engaged in that could even remotely be considered paying for an interview. On perhaps two or three occasions I flew key people to New York for interviews.

That was done as a matter of self-interest...holding down costs. It was simply cheaper to fly someone in and put him/her up at a hotel for a night or two than it was to fly a producer & correspondent to remote places, put them up for a night or two, pay for car rental and per diems AND hire a local freelance camera person. (The morning talk shows often fly in guests for live interviews.).

I suspect this may be one reason McCants chose to speak to ESPN:

"In the 90-minute "Outside the Lines" interview last month, McCants said he is planning to write a book about his basketball and collegiate experience."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

I will politely refrain from wondering out loud who will write the book for McCants?

ESPN paying McCants? Hardly. It is the belief of many that McCants is being paid by the Drake Group, along with Willingham. What did Willingham always say? The truth is in the transcripts? How about, the truth is in the bank statements.

itsbotime said:
Now you are just making stuff up. UNC didn't pay McCants a dime. McCants said that UNC was going to pay him $10 million and the NCAA was going to pay him $300 million. UNC and the NCAA laughed at that. McCants is a strait loon. Like I said, pretty telling when three separate coaches, in the NCAA and in the NBA, told him that he needed to seek psychological help.

Hey, I said earlier I didn't know he got 10m. Got that from here. You didn't call BS so I figured it was right. So no, I didn't make anything up.

Hey, I said earlier I didn't know he got 10m. Got that from here. You didn't call BS so I figured it was right. So no, I didn't make anything up.

I figured you were being facetious. Didn't know you actually believed the 10m thing. Dude is a loon.

itsbotime said:
If UNC deserves the death penalty, then you might as well just shut down college sports altogether, because UNC recruits the same guys that everyone else does.

Can you point me to another school that kept 1500 athletes eligible with fake courses? You sound like. Pedst fan now.

Can you point me to another school that kept 1500 athletes eligible with fake courses? You sound like. Pedst fan now.

Let's have Wainstein investigate every school in the BCS, and then I can point to dozens of schools that do so. So UNC has to cheat to keep these guys eligible, but Duke, a school that recruits the same ballers but has higher overall academic standards for the rest of its student body, doesn't? Yeah, right.

itsbotime said:
Wainstein said that there was no evidence to support McCants' assertions. If you have a problem with Wainstein's report, perhaps you should write him and ask him to clarify.

Weinsteins report says some of the same EXACT things McCants said. So if you have a problem with that, you should contact him.

Weinsteins report says some of the same EXACT things McCants said. So if you have a problem with that, you should contact him.

I quoted verbatim from Wainstein's report where he stated that there was no evidence to support McCants' assertions. I don't have a problem with the report...I think Wainstein did a very thorough job.

Let's have Wainstein investigate every school in the BCS, and then I can point to dozens of schools that do so. So UNC has to cheat to keep these guys eligible, but Duke, a school that recruits the same ballers but has higher overall academic standards for the rest of its student body, doesn't? Yeah, right.

I don't think anyone thinks UNC should have the academic integrity of Duke. For now, I like to see UNC strive to someday reach the standards set by FSU, UofL & NC State.

I quoted verbatim from Wainstein's report where he stated that there was no evidence to support McCants' assertions. I don't have a problem with the report...I think Wainstein did a very thorough job.
Here is Forbes on the report - the don't quite agree with you...

Rather than the Wainstein report being the final word on UNC academic fraud — a result that the school’s beleaguered Chancellor, Carol Folt, would surely welcome — it, instead, should be the starting point for a merciless third-party review. Such an investigation would hopefully not sugar-coat its findings under the Pablum that infects the Wainstein report, which white-washes the “higher levels of the University” on the grounds that they had “insufficient appreciation of the scale of the problem.”​

I don't think anyone thinks UNC should have the academic integrity of Duke. For now, I like to see UNC strive to someday reach the standards set by FSU, UofL & NC State.

UNC shouldn't lower its standards to those levels. I can't speak for FSU or UofL, because I don't have much experience with those schools, but nobody at the UNC system would want to recruit the caliber of students (or student-athletes) that NC State does. There is a reason there is a popular chant down here..."If you can't go to college, go to State." Their BBall team is full of players that couldn't even academically qualify for UNC...after this week's revelations, that is saying something.

Here is Forbes on the report - the don't quite agree with you...

Rather than the Wainstein report being the final word on UNC academic fraud — a result that the school’s beleaguered Chancellor, Carol Folt, would surely welcome — it, instead, should be the starting point for a merciless third-party review. Such an investigation would hopefully not sugar-coat its findings under the Pablum that infects the Wainstein report, which white-washes the “higher levels of the University” on the grounds that they had “insufficient appreciation of the scale of the problem.”​

Um, the Wainstein report was a third-party report. That's it. That's the end of it from an investigation standpoint. The only thing left to do is hear from the NCAA.

Um, the Wainstein report was a third-party report. That's it. That's the end of it from an investigation standpoint. The only thing left to do is hear from the NCAA.
the problem you have is that once the ncaa starts looking, they find penny anti stuff. Ask us.

Who paid for it?

Take it up with Forbes

Yup, the NCAA is a wildcard. They do whatever they want.

So, if this happens everywhere and is no big deal, why the power point presentation when the grade lady was retiring? Why didn't UNC do like "everyone else" and put another person in charge of bogus classes?

And why don't you think UCONN went on probation for their APR issues? Didn't have enough bogus classes?

Who paid for it?

Take it up with Forbes

I take it you are pretty unfamiliar with how investigations work.

Enough money has been wasted with these numerous investigations. But, if you want, I'll set up a GoFundMe page and you and the NC State fans can contribute money for an eleventh investigation. Heck, if you get enough money, you might even be able to get Wainstein for half an hour.

So, if this happens everywhere and is no big deal, why the power point presentation when the grade lady was retiring? Why didn't UNC do like "everyone else" and put another person in charge of bogus classes?

And why don't you think UCONN went on probation for their APR issues? Didn't have enough bogus classes?

To answer your first question, probably (in my opinion) because at that point they were already catching heat from the NCAA for other issues.

And I'm not interested in UConn...we're talking big-time academic/athletic institutions here. When is the last time Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, Michigan, etc went on probation for APR issues? Don't these schools all recruit the same athletes that UNC does?

To answer your first question, probably (in my opinion) because at that point they were already catching heat from the NCAA for other issues.

And I'm not interested in UConn...we're talking big-time academic/athletic institutions here. When is the last time Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, Michigan, etc went on probation for APR issues? Don't these schools all recruit the same athletes that UNC does?

Are you suggesting only big-time programs cheat?

Quick Trivia - who has more NCs in the last 2 decades years - UConn or (Duke + ND + Stanford + Michigan + UNC)

PS: Its a trick question.

lol. You're a funny guy. Trying to sidestep the Athletics people steering athletes to keep them eligible? Telling Crowder what they needed?

As to McCants, he was right about bogus classes. He was right about not having to attend some classes. He was right about paper classes. He was right about the whole thing bring a sham. You know, things that Williams and the AD back in June claimed were completely false.

Wanna show me where Weinstein said that McCants, Willingham and Ganim were ZERO percent correct? All anyone had to say is that they were bogus classes and they be right.

So tell me about these advisors? Really want to hear your spin.

Jose Cansecoesque

If a school doesn't get the death penalty for covering up the a$$ rape of several young kids then nobody ever is gonna see that again.