UNC Academic Fraud Details | Syracusefan.com

UNC Academic Fraud Details

That UNC poster that vehemently defends UNC should be here in an hour to tell you why this isn't an athletic matter and further try to discredit the whistleblower.

RT @bradwolverton Between 1999 and 2011, 963 UNC football players were enrolled in a paper class.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/s...ulum-to-help-athletes.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

As an indication of how important these classes were to the Tar Heels’ football program — which generates a huge amount of money for the university — the report detailed what happened in 2008 after word spread that Ms. Crowder planned to retire the next year, a development that would essentially put an end to the scheme.

In November 2009, Ms. Reynolds and other members of the academic support program convened a meeting of the football coaches to discuss how the departure of Ms. Crowder would affect the players’ academic standing. The counselors and coaches were “painfully aware,” the report said, “that Crowder’s retirement would require the whole football program to adjust to a new reality of having to meet academic requirements with real academic work.”
In the meeting, two members of the football counseling staff explained to the assembled coaches that the classes “had played a large role in keeping underprepared and/or unmotivated players eligible to play.” To emphasize this point, they presented a PowerPoint demonstration in which one of the slides asked and then answered the question, “What was part of the solution in the past?”
“We put them in classes that met degree requirements in which … they didn’t go to class … they didn’t have to take notes, have to stay awake … they didn’t have to meet with professors … they didn’t have to pay attention or necessarily engage with the material,” the slide said. “THESE NO LONGER EXIST!”
Continue reading the main story 16Comments
Indeed, the report said, “the fall 2009 semester — the first in over a decade without Ms. Crowder and her paper classes — resulted in the lowest football team G.P.A. in 10 years, 2.121.” Forty-eight players, it went on, earned semester G.P.A.'s of less than 2.0.
Speaking to reporters Wednesday morning, Ms. Folt, the U.N.C., Chapel Hill, chancellor, said that a reason the paper class scheme thrived for so long was that it was hard for anyone to imagine that something so beyond the pale could happen at all.

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Chancellor Folt, as to the question of whether this was an academic or athletic issue: 'Clearly it was an issue in both areas'

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Folt: Individuals who remain part of Carolina and are implicated in the wrongdoing will be held accountable

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Folt: Effective today we have terminated or disciplined nine employees and removed honorary status in at least one case

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Now the question(s) everyone wants to know: How will this affect ongoing NCAA probe? What's next?

I like that this goes back to 1993, during St. Dean's tenure.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday morning, Ms. Folt, the U.N.C., Chapel Hill, chancellor, said that a reason the paper class scheme thrived for so long was that it was hard for anyone to imagine that something so beyond the pale could happen at all.

So their defense to the NCAA is: Look we know this is bad and it went on for a number of years, but we would have stopped it immediately if we could only have imagined something as incredible as this could happen. I think that absolves them completely.

2003-04-01-inside-doherty.jpg

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Bubba Cunningham: This is just one large piece of evidence, but it's much to early to speculate on the outcome. Has been delivered to NCAA

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Wainstein: I had no reason to disbelieve (coaches). We asked them pointed questions. You knew these were easy. They had credible answers

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Wainstein: Williams didn't like the clustering — that's inconsistent with being complicit my gut told me I had no reason to disbelieve them

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Tom Ross: We could have had some of our lawyers (investigate). We reviewed independent law firms that would follow every lead

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Tom Ross: We wanted to get to the truth. We found the right investigator. And we'll pay the bill — in many ways, unfortunately

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Among those who refused to cooperate with UNC included Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano, former head coach Everett Withers

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Chancellor Folt, as to the question of whether this was an academic or athletic issue: 'Clearly it was an issue in both areas'

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Folt: Individuals who remain part of Carolina and are implicated in the wrongdoing will be held accountable

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Folt: Effective today we have terminated or disciplined nine employees and removed honorary status in at least one case

ACC Sports@ACCSports
Now the question(s) everyone wants to know: How will this affect ongoing NCAA probe? What's next?[/QUOTE]

All I know is SW Delaware State should be shaking in their boots.

As a very proud graduate of Carolina (& SU), I'm embarrassed. It happened because athletics got put way before academics.

Can't change the past, but the consequences that flow from it should be accepted with remorse & steps taken to ensure it doesn't happen again. And if that means that the Heels are a little less successful on the field, I can live with that so long as they are a lot more successful in the classroom.

And by the by, I played hoops with some former Carolina players from the late '70's & knew them well. Their experience did not include phantom classes. In fact, academics were encouraged & so long as they were in grad school, Coach Smith had two court side seats for each of them for every game.

In any event, go Heels & make me proud again.

Nothing to do with this thread but I met him when he worked at Salomon Brothers... got a half-dozen BE tourney tickets from him as a client.

Just found out this morning that Swofford was AD at UNC when this first started occurring. hmmm....

I wish the NCAA would really punish those who need to be punished. Don't take away scholarships. Fine the schools, the coaches, etc. Let them play games, but sanction tv revenue or bowl sharing, withhold all coach/AD bonuses for a period of time- something that doesn't punish students who weren't involved, and something more than firing people who were given the job to keep players eligible.

I wish the NCAA would really punish those who need to be punished. Don't take away scholarships. Fine the schools, the coaches, etc. Let them play games, but sanction tv revenue or bowl sharing, withhold all coach/AD bonuses for a period of time- something that doesn't punish students who weren't involved, and something more than firing people who were given the job to keep players eligible.
The problem with doing just that is the scheme was designed to keep players eligible who wouldn't have been able to do so otherwise. In a sense they had extra players. How do you adequately punish that part of the problem?

The problem with doing just that is the scheme was designed to keep players eligible who wouldn't have been able to do so otherwise. In a sense they had extra players. How do you adequately punish that part of the problem?

Fair question. You can vacate wins, but until the penalties are truly punitive, then I have issues with just post-season bans and loss of scholarships. Those usually hurt students and coaches who weren't around for the problems. Make the schools pay and put that money towards the athlete health insurance.