UNC at ND | Syracusefan.com

UNC at ND

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Fun game.

67-66 ND, 4:41 left.

UNC basically led throughout including double digits for a decent amount first half.

Fun game.

67-66 ND, 4:41 left.

UNC basically led throughout including double digits for a decent amount first half.

Go UNC! Let's go, make a run, you're running out of time! I coul'nt stomach Nova as #1, and I want to pass ND in the standings, need the Tar Heels here.

I stopped tracking this game in the second half. I know UNC was up over 15 at some point.

I watched the last few minutes of the game on "Watch ESPN" on my desktop. It was fascinating. THEre were no broadcast announcers. You got the PA announcer and all the crowd noise, but no announcers and no commercials. Very much like being in the arena. Does "watch Espn" always do it this way?

Last edited:
NC's bigs are really soft on defense. Brice Johnson is going to be a coach killer. Great on offense, but is totally uninterested on defense. If you watch him, he just hangs out with zero defensive intensity.

I watched the last few minutes of the game on "Watch ESPN." It was fascinating. THEre were no broadcast announcers. You got the PA announcer and all the crowd noise, but no announcers and no commercials. Very much like being in the arena. Does "watch Espn" always do it this way?
I watch on my iPhone via the app and get the PBP. Bilas and McDonohue if I'm not mistaken.

Go UNC! Let's go, make a run, you're running out of time! I coul'nt stomach Nova as #1, and I want to pass ND in the standings, need the Tar Heels here.
What makes you hate Nova so much you would root for the NCheaters over them?

What makes you hate Nova so much you would root for the NCheaters over them?

Hate is a strong word. They are just not even close to being the best team in the country, so their playing for a 1 seed with such a soft schedule, and the fact that we jump ahead of ND in the standings with the win is what puts me in the UNC camp. Now at 7-4, it is that much tougher to catch ND.

As if it requires stating yet again, but... ol' Roy is a terrible coach

Ya know, I understand, and I just don't know what it is with him. He's probably a great recruiter, but his game management skills (not that it's easy) have always been suspect. It seems he just tosses the best players out there, let's 'em play, and the chips will fall where they will. You can do that if you have an abundance of talent, I guess.

Ya know, I understand, and I just don't know what it is with him. He's probably a great recruiter, but his game management skills (not that it's easy) have always been suspect. It seems he just tosses the best players out there, let's 'em play, and the chips will fall where they will. You can do that if you have an abundance of talent, I guess.

His teams are soft.

As if it requires stating yet again, but... ol' Roy is a terrible coach
He is easy to pick on. My N Carolina fans pick on him, too. But TWO national championships? Come on! He's not that bad. It's just that he is not perfect, which UNC requires.

Hate is a strong word. They are just not even close to being the best team in the country, so their playing for a 1 seed with such a soft schedule, and the fact that we jump ahead of ND in the standings with the win is what puts me in the UNC camp. Now at 7-4, it is that much tougher to catch ND.
I get wanting ND to lose for strategic purposes.

Nova does have a rather soft schedule, though I believe the losses are all to ranked teams. Still Maryland might take 1st I suppose. Their one loss not to a ranked team is to Michigan, which granted has 7 losses but all to ranked teams at the time.

Or as someone suggested Oklahoma or NC might not fall out of the # 1.

He is easy to pick on. My N Carolina fans pick on him, too. But TWO national championships? Come on! He's not that bad. It's just that he is not perfect, which UNC requires.
But LOADS of McDonald's all Americans most years. The program sells itself to a degree

It's not that he's a terrible coach, but would he have won two NCs at Kansas or elsewhere?

I think half this board would have been able to coach the 2009 team to the national title. And I am sure none of us would have had any problems keeping the players "academically eligible". Not only the NBA talent on the team, but 4 of them were upperclassmen.

Sr. Tyler Hansbrough
Sr. Danny Green
Jr. Ty Lawson
Jr, Wayne Ellington
Fr. Ed Davis
Fr. Tyler Zeller

Of course need to give credit to Roy, for recruiting, He is a good recruiter probably (although UNC sells itself).

Most of all need to give him credit for being able to keep his talent around until they were upperclassmen --- once his players stay in school long enough they could learn to coach themselves and overcome Roy.

I think half this board would have been able to coach the 2009 team to the national title. And I am sure none of us would have had any problems keeping the players "academically eligible". Not only the NBA talent on the team, but 4 of them were upperclassmen.

Sr. Tyler Hansbrough
Sr. Danny Green
Jr. Ty Lawson
Jr, Wayne Ellington
Fr. Ed Davis
Fr. Tyler Zeller

Of course need to give credit to Roy, for recruiting and being able to keep his players in school long enough so that they could learn to coach themselves and overcome Roy.

All of those guys made the NBA. Green and Lawson have had good
Careers. That's the best team in the past ten years.

All of those guys made the NBA. Green and Lawson have had good
Careers. That's the best team in the past ten years.

And you can argue Hansbrough, Ellington, and Ed Davis all have had fairly good NBA careers as well, even if not to the level of those players you mentioned -- not stars by any means, but role players that have all played over 400 career NBA games. And Zeller will probably get to 400 games as well.

But LOADS of McDonald's all Americans most years. The program sells itself to a degree

It's not that he's a terrible coach, but would he have won two NCs at Kansas or elsewhere?
Yes, I take your point and jncuse's as well. Great players come to Carolina more for the name than for the coach.

Here are my Carolina friends' comments: His attitude doesn't seem to relax players to shoot to their potential. He isn't great knowing how to get the most out of his kids. He does make them nervous and sometimes passive aggressive.

Immediately after Roy went to UNC, they were the best program in the country from 04-09. They were better than Duke and Calipari wasn't at Kentucky yet. He got the best players. They've dipped slightly, he deoesnt have as much pro talent. That team with Hansbrough, Green, Lawson and Ellington was together for three years. Why can't that ever happen for us.

I get wanting ND to lose for strategic purposes.

Nova does have a rather soft schedule, though I believe the losses are all to ranked teams. Still Maryland might take 1st I suppose. Their one loss not to a ranked team is to Michigan, which granted has 7 losses but all to ranked teams at the time.

Or as someone suggested Oklahoma or NC might not fall out of the # 1.

On the other hand Maryland only had one win against a ranked team (Iowa) going into yesterday's game against Purdue, now they have two same as Nova (Xavier and Providence). I would be ok with leaving Oklahoma at number 1, but I don't like Maryland there over Nova. I don't think either is particularly deserving.

Those Paul Pierce teams were loaded. A four year stretch of 3 #1 seeds and a 2 seed and the furthest they got was losing to SU in the 1996 elite 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom