UNC has some regrouping to do | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNC has some regrouping to do

I didn't watch the game. Did Roy get outcoached and fail to make any second half adjustments? ;)

Should have went to zone. You know how our boy Tom cream's his pants against the zone!

It doesn't look like he's doing much running of the team, though. If you're a good floor general, it shows up in the stats somewhere, but there's nothing in the numbers that indicates he's average or better at PG. Maybe he's racking up a bunch of hockey assists, idk. He's as turnover prone as Gillon and Howard, doesn't pass any better than either, and is a poor finisher inside the arc/at the rim. Indiana has beaten two very good teams, but it doesn't look like Newkirk has anything to do with that; it's his teammates carrying the load. At best, he's benefiting from having talent around him, which still isn't showing up in his stats.

If you go beyond the stat box and watch any IU games you will see that he is playing more than adequately. I agree he has more talent around him and our guards NEED to do more for us to have a chance to beat anyone good. But, like I said, he can at least get them into their offense, looks like he belongs, and doesn't look shell-shocked/dribble in place constantly. He also was directly responsible for giving Berry fits who is an excellent PG.

The best thing about Indiana's win last night was Isiah holding up a crying Jordan big head down the stretch as Indiana put away the game.

I didn't watch the game. Did Roy get outcoached and fail to make any second half adjustments? ;)
He refused to switch to a zone to slow Indiana down. I don't know why Roy is so married to m-2-m defense. I mean it was obvious their m-2-m wasn't working. Just kidding. I'm not a big Newkirk fan as well. I think he is doing ok but I wouldn't say he is running the team effectively. I would say they are getting contributions from people and playing really well outside of the Ft. Wayne game. To be honest I didn't see that game just the highlight and all the other times I've seen them they have looked good. I would take Frank over Newkirk on both our team and theirs. I have issues with Frank and his work at the top of the zone which I think will improve but I think he has been the least of our problems on the other end. I mean we should be talking about Gillon, Battle, Roberson and others before we even start to discuss our issues with Frank. The only problem right now with him as far as I'm concerned is some careless passes here and there which don't concern me a great deal and his in ability to deny the pass the high post and play with his hands up and active. That is obviously a big thing but I believe will improve.

If you go beyond the stat box and watch any IU games you will see that he is playing more than adequately. I agree he has more talent around him and our guards NEED to do more for us to have a chance to beat anyone good. But, like I said, he can at least get them into their offense, looks like he belongs, and doesn't look shell-shocked/dribble in place constantly. He also was directly responsible for giving Berry fits who is an excellent PG.

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this. I suspect that an interior presence like Bryant's would have our offense running pretty smooth. Our guards have looked shaky, but that's as much a product of nobody stepping up to help them (except Lydon to some extent) as anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
And your point is what? Wake me when we punk a ranked team, otherwise this analogy is stupid.
ahh so if we had "punked a ranked team" before we crapped the bed you'd just be all gaga about the team, wouldn't you?
nah, it's not an analogy at all. it's a call for some perspective, which goes missing around here year after year with a core group of posters (of which you are quickly emerging as head honcho)

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this. I suspect that an interior presence like Bryant's would have our offense running pretty smooth. Our guards have looked shaky, but that's as much a product of nobody stepping up to help them (except Lydon to some extent) as anything else.

Ha. We seldom do but yes, Bryant (and Anunoby) are beasts and can only help things.

Well aware. They are part of the same league as IUPUI (where George Hill played), Oral Roberts, Denver, etc. Part of IU-PU system. So IU slipped up once. So what? They rebounded with a big win. I'm just jealous a bit of their offense. You realize they gave UNC everything they could handle last year in the tourney?
You've now stated twice that IU gave UNC "all they could handle" last March. Not true.
The Tar Heels won 101-86, which included an 11-point lead at the half, and then this is blurb from the gamer...

With the Tar Heels already leading 67-57, North Carolina ripped off a 12-4 run midway through the second half to put the game out of reach. Johnson’s 3-point play with 10:47 remaining capped the run and gave the Tar Heels a 79-61 lead.

It was a blowout. Worse than our's Tuesday at Madison.

You've now stated twice that IU gave UNC "all they could handle" last March. Not true.
The Tar Heels won 101-86, which included an 11-point lead at the half, and then this is blurb from the gamer...

With the Tar Heels already leading 67-57, North Carolina ripped off a 12-4 run midway through the second half to put the game out of reach. Johnson’s 3-point play with 10:47 remaining capped the run and gave the Tar Heels a 79-61 lead.

It was a blowout. Worse than our's Tuesday at Madison.

You are correct on that score. I was remembering more from watching since, despite what the recap says, it never really felt to me that UNC could truly put them away until late 2H. My "everything they could handle' comment is a bit off then. Still, IU isn't chopped liver as many on this board seem to perceive.

image.jpg
Newkirk? are you sh__ing me?

Didn't realize he actually did this. What a tremendous assclown.

I'm not an Isaiah fan by any stretch, but I'm not a Jordan fan at all. I love it.

I thought it was funny but at the same time I wouldn't do it myself and think it's kind of a douche move.

I thought it was amazing. Who cares.

The Jordan crying face meme is everywhere regardless. I'm sure Jordan cried himself to bed over it.

I thought it was amazing. Who cares.

The Jordan crying face meme is everywhere regardless. I'm sure Jordan cried himself to bed over it.
He's a 55-year-old man who was a monumental embarrassment of a human being in New York and apparently intends to keep his streak going.

He's a 55-year-old man who was a monumental embarrassment of a human being in New York and apparently intends to keep his streak going.

Well damn... You changed my mind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom