UNC receives a new notice of allegations | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

UNC receives a new notice of allegations

People should read about the NCAA had to give up its case against Shabazz Muhammad when he was at UCLA.

The NCAA investigator was on an airplane talking to her boyfriend about the case. She was overheard on the plane talking about private facts of the case and basically Fruit of the Poisonous tree Muhammad's case. The NCAA had to drop it because of her incompetence.

NCAA fired her but blueblood UCLA got off scotch free with their star player.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/20/sports/la-sp-1221-muhammad-ncaa-20121221

The NCAA is such a joke. I really wish Jim Boeheim or somebody at Syracuse would sue the NCAA.

Interestingly, when the NCAA was here investigating for 8 years or whatever, one of the things they took a look at was SU's Child and Family Studies program. They were concerned that a number of athletes were enrolled there. Not to rehash the bs, they found this was an accredited program that offered real courses and degrees and eventually gave up trying to make an issue of it. The fact they were so invested in examining the program tells me they would have nailed us to the wall if the UNC stuff was happening here.
I took a few classes in CFS at SU as electives. I found them pretty easy, but work needed to be done, there were exams and they were pretty interesting. Easy courses for high grades, sure, but they were legit classes and you actually had to learn something...

Anyone else feel like this was the "best" outcome that could have happened? First of all, from a selfish perspective, it gives us grounds to seek a reduction in our penalties.

Second, I think the public outcry from both the sports media and the public against the NCAA and their sham of enforcement.
In terms of your second point, I think that is the key piece. Will the media point out the hypocrisy or just play along with the system that we all know is corrupt? I personally don't see the public uproar. I think the public at large thinks the term student athlete is a joke and that all the players are only in school to play sports so there response will be "ho hum shocker". I think it's similar to steroids in baseball - fans knew the players were on the beans, media knew, owners knew and players knew and nobody cared until (scary or not) the government started sniffing around (and the fact that a surly African-American was claiming an historic record and outshining the Paul Bunyan/Chico Esquela approved tandem of McGwire and Sosa).

A probe from the federal government or players boycott is the only way this sham organization is ever going to get outed.

The NCAA is a lot like FIFA. Billions of dollars, huge bureaucracy, corruption everywhere, what a mess. And not paying NCAA athletes, who are really employees of the University in my mind, is like slavery but FIFA has that too!

"On Wednesday, the US Department of Justice dropped the hammer on FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, indicting nine senior FIFA officials and five sports marketing execs on charges of corruption, wire fraud, racketeering, and money laundering.

Allegations of bribery have long plagued FIFA, especially since its controversial decision to grant Qatar the 2022 World Cup. But much worse is the plight of South Asian migrant workers brought in to build the stadium infrastructure there: Since 2010, more than 1,200 migrant workers have died in Qatar under hazardous working conditions, and a 2013 Guardian investigation found that at least 4,000 total are projected to die before the 2022 World Cup even starts. And as we reported yesterday, Nepali workers weren't even allowed to return home after the country's recent devastating earthquake.

Christopher Ingraham at the Washington Post put that toll in perspective in a striking infographic. He compared the number of workers who died in the run-up to several Olympics and World Cups with the number of those who have died in Qatar so far. It's horrifying:"

Attachments

• Toll-Of-FIFA's-Corruption.jpg
    Toll-Of-FIFA's-Corruption.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 63
This is so funny. I was telling someone the other day this would happen. I believe the question I was asked was, when UNC gets off with no real punishment will you have even less respect for the NCAA? My response was something to the tune of, for one I can't have any less respect for the NCAA than I already do. Also of course they are going to get off. I mean I will be shocked if it doesn't happen. The people who didn't see this coming are the same people who are mad about when Duke boosters hiring Chris Duhon and Carlos Boozers parents for jobs making more money, for Lance Thomas buying 100k worth of jewelry and being cleared and Maggette admitting under oath that he was paid while at Duke with nothing happening.
I would like this 1000 times if I could. UNCheat getting off with a wrist slap was a foregone conclusion as soon as it came out. They (and Duke) could commit murder and get off. If I recall correctly, Duke got off on Maggette because it was ruled they did not know about the payment. Maggette still should have been ineligible and games he played in forfeited. No clue how they got off on the Lance Thomas Affair.

Everyone got an A just for registering. Their argument why it isn't a violation is because both athletes and non-athletes benefited from the fake classes. And since this is an institutional issue it's not a athletic issue. If you are going to cheat you have to go BIG!

It depends what your definition of a fake class is. I took a weight lifting class, i got college credits for working out. All colleges have similar classes.

It depends what your definition of a fake class is. I took a weight lifting class, i got college credits for working out. All colleges have similar classes.

Point is, you still had to workout. I took a Badminton class. Was the class ridiculous, absolutely. We still had to be there and do actual, "classwork".

These kids were just handed A's for signing up for a supposed class. How on earth the NCAA can cherry pick academic situations and declare them "in their wheelhouse" verse out of their jurisdiction is sickening.

We're talking about thousands of student athletes and students who basically went to a fake class and the NCAA is acting like this had no affect whatsoever on the basketball and football teams.

I would classify a fake class as anything that gives you A without doing any work or taking any tests that are graded against a bell curve. This is not rocket science. If we are going to argue over what is a real and fake class the NCAA should just get rid of academic standards altogether. I just can't imagine anything more insane that not have a clear idea of what a fake class is versus a real class.

It's probably me. Insanity rules and I just forget it sometimes. This is America and the ends always justify the means. Winning is everything and the only thing. By any means necessary or you are total loser! The UNC fans are probably thinking we are just complaining because we did not think of it first. I'm surprise they don't Tonya Harding our athletes during home games. That's probably next!

NY Times article...

The removal of 11 words in an amended N.C.A.A. complaint against the University of North Carolina released on Monday afternoon has hinted that the men’s basketball team, fresh off its run to the national title game, could receive comparatively lenient sentencing for its part in a nearly two-decade scandal in which thousands of students who were disproportionately major-sport athletes took fraudulent “paper classes.” In some cases, a university investigation acknowledged, the athletes who took the fake classes were steered there by athletic department advisers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/s...on&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Everyone is pretending like UNC is getting off the hook light. That's patently bogus!

Just like with PSU, SU picked up the tab. UNC can play non-students. PSU can r*pe kids. Auburn can pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a QB. Mississippi State can offer to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for Auburn's QB. Kentucky can do whatever it is that PayPalCal has been doing for the last decade. But heaven help you if you self-report making a clerical error in administering an optional drug test, have a secretary go rouge and write a paper, and have a booster overpay a couple of kids by a couple of hundred dollars (which I think the kids gave back).

Seriously though, the NCAA and the ACC are so mad at UNC that Duke is going to get to shoot a TON of free throws next time they play SU...

Point is, you still had to workout. I took a Badminton class. Was the class ridiculous, absolutely. We still had to be there and do actual, "classwork".

These kids were just handed A's for signing up for a supposed class. How on earth the NCAA can cherry pick academic situations and declare them "in their wheelhouse" verse out of their jurisdiction is sickening.

We're talking about thousands of student athletes and students who basically went to a fake class and the NCAA is acting like this had no affect whatsoever on the basketball and football teams.

Another point is that with weightlifting, badminton - like courses, not only do you have to actually do the "work" associated, attend the class but you can't major and graduate with a legitimate university degree in badminton, weightlifting.

I'm shocked there isn't more of an outcry from African-Americans themselves upset that the university allowed that specific major to set up a bogus academic system resulting in cheating many blacks from a legitimate college education.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/01/06/rashanda-mccants-unc-paper-classes-lawsuit

The above lawsuit should be interesting. Guess the NCAA didn't want to hurt their co-defendant and ultimately their own financial interests. UNC and the NCAA are united in fighting any responsibility, so how can their stance regarding the allegations be surprising since it benefits their mutual self interests.

https://alumni.unc.edu/news/unc-ncaa-seek-dismissal-of-athletes-class-action-suit/

It all makes me question why university president's, chancellors are involved at all with the NCAA if academic integrity is a non-issue with athletics.

It all makes me question why university president's, chancellors are involved at all with the NCAA if academic integrity is a non-issue with athletics.

If academic integrity is meaningless then they are no longer "student athletes" and should be paid as university employees with health benefits. The NCAA can't have it both ways. They want their slaves and eat their cake too. What a stinking mess. It's like referees calling touch fouls only on one end of the court. It just stinks to high heaven!

I would classify a fake class as anything that gives you A without doing any work or taking any tests that are graded against a bell curve. This is not rocket science. If we are going to argue over what is a real and fake class the NCAA should just get rid of academic standards altogether. I just can't imagine anything more insane that not have a clear idea of what a fake class is versus a real class.

It's probably me. Insanity rules and I just forget it sometimes. This is America and the ends always justify the means. Winning is everything and the only thing. By any means necessary or you are total loser! The UNC fans are probably thinking we are just complaining because we did not think of it first. I'm surprise they don't Tonya Harding our athletes during home games. That's probably next!
why would a bell curve make something a fake class?

was it class for credit or a class for a grade? some schools have a swimming requirement. doesnt do anything for grades but you still need to pass it.

If academic integrity is meaningless then they are no longer "student athletes" and should be paid as university employees with health benefits. The NCAA can't have it both ways. They want their slaves and eat their cake too. What a stinking mess. It's like referees calling touch fouls only on one end of the court. It just stinks to high heaven!
I can't believe this outdated system is still intact.

We can scream and cry about the NCAA's "incompetence" all we want - but I think they're geniuses for being able to continue to generate billions of dollars through the labor of unpaid employees and still somehow get away with it.

It's truly mind-boggling.

I can't believe this outdated system is still intact.

We can scream and cry about the NCAA's "incompetence" all we want - but I think they're geniuses for being able to continue to generate billions of dollars through the labor of unpaid employees and still somehow get away with it.

It's truly mind-boggling.

No different than FIFA. It will end at some point.

Great...JB about to lose more wins and get suspended again next year.
Yes...damn this UNC investigation! They are really digging deep.

Yes...damn this UNC investigation! They are really digging deep.

You know what they will do, and this is the way they think, if they vacant wins from UNC, they will add the ones back by taking every win the Orange have had against UNC.

I bet you absolutely nothing happens. UNC school colors are blue. And if you school colors are blue you are an untouchable. Red used to be the same way until under aged hookers got involved. You know it will become a real scandal the moment police indictments are issued.

I bet you absolutely nothing happens. UNC school colors are blue. And if you school colors are blue you are an untouchable.
I think it depends on the shade of blue. We got punished twice for our academic issues. National Flag Blue is not one of the untouchable blue colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom