UNC receives a new notice of allegations | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UNC receives a new notice of allegations

It's a good article, but a bit glib. What we really have here is the beginning of a complete travesty. Whether or not a coach or AD employee was directly involved, clearly UNC sports teams gained an advantage through the AFAM scam. It shouldn't matter that the fake classes were available to non-athletes, because they were accessed disproportionately by student-athletes to maintain eligibility. This includes the mens BB and FB teams. Woman's BB was not the only program using fake classes. The second NOV therefore creates a colossal inconsistency: that it's permissible for a university employee to hand athletes fake grades and credits for entire courses, but impermissible for an athletic department employee to provide one athlete with footnotes for a single paper. This shows the absurdity of letting UNC off the hook because the scale of the fraud was vast or because an AD employee wasn't the actual liaison. Was the corrupt "ethics" teacher not "representing the University's athletic interests" when she funneled athletes in and out of the AA program to keep them eligible? Of course she was, because being on the AD's payroll has never been a requirement for the rule against impermissible benefits. The average booster (or pimp) isn't an AD employee either. I mean, is the NCAA really saying that the ethics teacher was not cheating because she worked for the philosophy department? And what happened to the other Athletic Department personnel involved in this .. the ones who were fired? What a disaster this is.

We all suspected that UNC would try to use its influence to leverage its way out of this ... and sure enough, it looks like the whitewash is underway.

Last edited:
By who?
Obama IS the logical choice, as noted above, but let's see ... maybe journalists? DOJ isn't a bad idea, look to prosecute under federal antitrust law, RICO (ha! not a completely awful idea!) ... charges might include whatever the federal version of "lack of institutional control" is ...

Send this guy in and he will get to the real truth -
upload_2016-5-2_8-29-4.jpeg

Dana O'Neil ‏@ESPNDanaOneil
Reading UNC's response to the NCAA amended notice of allegation. Quick take: school is not simply rolling over.

UNC essentially arguing b/c fake courses available to entire student body, they are not an NCAA issue. Refuting two biggest charges

Jurisdiction has been problem for NCAA all along w UNC. If a benefit is available to anyone, often a non-NCAA issue. Complicated.

There is also a large section devoted to analysis of how much help was received with specific papers (words here, citations, edits, etc) and subsequent penalties levied (ie Weber State).

A quick look noted that under 50% content manufactured not-bytthe student resulted in a Level III infraction (Weber). How much help was Fab given?

Reading UNC's response to the NCAA amended notice of allegation. Quick take: school is not simply rolling over.

UNC essentially arguing b/c fake courses available to entire student body, they are not an NCAA issue. Refuting two biggest charges

Jurisdiction has been problem for NCAA all along w UNC. If a benefit is available to anyone, often a non-NCAA issue. Complicated.
So bogus.

I predict they
Figure_Skating__Publish_with_Glogster.jpeg

Is the NCAA not in their jurisdiction even if the entire reason the fake courses were made available to the entire student body was specifically so they would be available to athletes? This isnt a situation where fake courses just happened to be available and athletes just happened to sign up for them. Its the tail wagging the dog.

So basically UNC is throwing the academic integrity of their entire institution under the bus in order to save the legacy of their hoops program (and Dean Smith)? I told my buddy he should take his framed diploma down and put his NC t-shirt in the frame as the school clearly cares more about the hoops program than anything else.

The "educators" have lost their way due to athletic money.

That post is a thing of beauty, Toga. Bravo. I don't think the NCAA's going to buy the wheelhouse defense here -- the case is dripping with impermissible benefits.

Newhouser said:
So basically UNC is throwing the academic integrity of their entire institution under the bus in order to save the legacy of their hoops program (and Dean Smith)? I told my buddy he should take his framed diploma down and put his NC t-shirt in the frame as the school clearly cares more about the hoops program than anything else. The "educators" have lost their way due to athletic money.
I'm stumped here as well. So if the Cuse HS offered their footnoting program to all students not named Fab we'd have been good?

So basically UNC is throwing the academic integrity of their entire institution under the bus in order to save the legacy of their hoops program (and Dean Smith)? I told my buddy he should take his framed diploma down and put his NC t-shirt in the frame as the school clearly cares more about the hoops program than anything else.

The "educators" have lost their way due to athletic money.

I thought the Men's BBall program was cleared in all of this anyways way back in April or whatever. Is that not the case?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom