Under-the-radar Final4 prospects | Syracusefan.com

Under-the-radar Final4 prospects

pearl31

in cahoots
OK, getting close to mad-scientist bracket time... who you got for "under the radar" teams that could emerge in the final 4 this year? That is, teams outside the "big 5" of UK, UVa, Duke, Wisc, 'zona... here are my 4 right now:

Baylor
Providence
N.Iowa
SMU

I like those teams. Baylor, Providence, and SMU were all teams mentioned by Brando and some other hosts on Sirius Ch. 91 when I was on a drive to Chicago on Thurs.

I would add Arkansas and possibly San Diego St to that list.

I would add Arkansas and possibly San Diego St to that list.
I was tempted to include Ark but man they looked terrible against kentucky the other day... also watched some of the san diego st/boise st game and SD st was just not good at all, and that was playing at home - they are just too limited on offense

I was tempted to include Ark but man they looked terrible against kentucky the other day... also watched some of the san diego st/boise st game and SD st was just not good at all, and that was playing at home - they are just too limited on offense
"Limited on offense" describes about half of all D-I teams.

"Limited on offense" describes about half of all D-I teams.
Right. Which tells you just how truly limited SDSU is - KenPom has them 181 in adj offense, and is actually a big improved from earlier in the season when they were in the mid 200s

OK, getting close to mad-scientist bracket time... who you got for "under the radar" teams that could emerge in the final 4 this year? That is, teams outside the "big 5" of UK, UVa, Duke, Wisc, 'zona... here are my 4 right now:

Baylor
Providence
N.Iowa
SMU

Sorry college basketball is unwatchable! oh wait - this isn't the 100th thread about that subject?? I agree with Northern Iowa actually but they didn't look quite as strong as I expected against Wichita State over the weekend. I kinda like Oregon and I agree with Cusefan0307 about Utah.

They won't get to the final 4 but I wouldn't be shocked to see Wofford give their first round opponent a scare assuming they win the Southern Conference tournament.

Gonzaga, Wichita State, Villanova, and Kansas are four that come to my mind.

Yep, even after the loss to BYU, Gonzaga will be tough to contend with in this year's tourney, though it seems we say that every year.

Arizona. Lots and lots of talent on the roster, but tehy haven't been able to put it together. Maybe they can make a run.

Arizona. Lots and lots of talent on the roster, but tehy haven't been able to put it together. Maybe they can make a run.
I hear ya, but I don't think they qualify as under the radar - I've heard/seen lots of prognosticators pencil them into the final4

Maybe, but my thinking was that so many teams look horrible against Kentucky, that I threw that game out.

'xactly - I got burned several times picking the zags to got to f4 - not this year!

The Zags have burned me a few times. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five times---- I'm an idiot.

Yeah, I know, but my wife did her M.Ed. there so ... :noidea:

Anyway, this still might be the best team Few has had. Pangos is a true "team first" senior PG, they have a pure shooter in Wiltjer who is 6-10 (and Pangos is also almost 50% at the arc), Sabonis and Karnowski are enormous. Only Pangos plays more than 30 minutes, so they have some depth. As a team they shoot 70% FT's.

Yes, they may run into the same problem again (too many superior athletes) again this year, but only Kentucky has shown me a team like that. I'm still heading down to the beer store to pick some Oly's :D, because if they can keep it to a half-court game and avoid a track meet, they're going to be very successful.

The Zags have burned me a few times. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five times---- I'm an idiot.

I'll never take Pitt to make a deep run... and Gonzaga should probably fall under the same umbrella, but they have had tourney success--just a lot less since they were playing Cinderalla.

I like Iowa State but their play against Kansas State in their last game gave me some pause. If they look better in the stretch run, I'll be back on their bandwagon.

I do like Wichita State's talent and experience. Has Baker been on that team for 7 years?

I'll never take Pitt to make a deep run... and Gonzaga should probably fall under the same umbrella, but they have had tourney success--just a lot less since they were playing Cinderalla.

I like Iowa State but their play against Kansas State in their last game gave me some pause. If they look better in the stretch run, I'll be back on their bandwagon.

I do like Wichita State's talent and experience. Has Baker been on that team for 7 years?

I really want to jump on Iowa State's bandwagon but every time I do, they lose to South Carolina, Texas Tech and then Kansas State. Kudos to Hoiberg though - even though I'm a Hawkeye fan. I really didn't think getting all those transfers year after year was sustainable but he seems to make it work. Guess it's not that much difference than recruiting one and doners out of high school except Hoiberg's have more experience.

And yes - Ron Baker is 45 years old!

William & Mary all the way! If they get in, it'll be their first appearance and they'll make it good...They have 4 guards & a forward that lead the team in all stats.

pearl31 said:
'xactly - I got burned several times picking the zags to got to f4 - not this year!

Watch them win it all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom