Uni discussion on Tim Brando/Sirius (long) | Syracusefan.com

Uni discussion on Tim Brando/Sirius (long)

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
So, I was driving around between 11-1130 and caught a lengthy discussion about the SU uniforms on Sirius. Nice to see plenty of airtime about SU happening. I'll try to recap it.

A caller named Elliot (board member?) called in. Just to make it clear. He said he was in his 40s and not some debbie downer old-timer stubborn towards change. Hated the uniforms and said it is just hard to identify with the program and tradition anymore when there isn't much orange. Talked about this gotham-style nonsense and how the tribute to 44 isn't even very visible. Fair points. Good caller.

Brando, whom I like and respect, straight up does not like them. He also says he thinks it will be hard to see the numbers and names for announcers in the press boxes. He did understand the angle how Syracuse since McPherson/McNabb has not been very relevant in the modern era so that, if a team was wanting a fresh new look or start, that now is as good a time as any. He knows that universities will always take the cash over preserving tradition and he doesn't like that. He knew about the connection to the military in the design of the uniforms but that 'discipline' and the other words being sewn onto the inside of the unis? So what if you can't see it. He said that he basically likes TGD and, while not meaning to pile on him, never understood the New York's College team concept. Can't blame him. He wishes conference commissioners could or would come in and shut these sort of things down to preserve team and tradition integrity. Doesn't care about the recruiting effect. Wouldn't want that kind of player who would commit based on a uni. He followed that up by saying that is probably the stubborn angle. His co-host disagreed with him a little on that topic. Says the unis sadly sway kids for better or worse. Lastly, he still felt the Syracuse brand is tradition rich and that he personally identifies schools by their true colors. He mentioned that most of the passionate SU alums and fanbase are not at the Carrier Dome watching the team. They are scattered around the country watching on TV and want to be able to identify with their team. Same with the co-host, a former SEC player. Both felt that Syracuse should have those plain orange helmets (not "copper") and more of that traditional style like the Alabamas and Penn States they said.

I'm personally 50/50 on them right now. It was cool to hear a good 10-15 minutes on this. Just thought I would share what I heard.

He said that he basically likes TGD and, while not meaning to pile on him, never understood the New York's College team concept. Can't blame him.
What's difficult about the concept? SU is the only BCS football program in New York state. Hence their campaign to make this fact known throughout the state in the attempt to create some local/state pride and keep in-state talent at home.

Both felt that Syracuse should have those plain orange helmets (not "copper") and more of that traditional style like the Alabamas and Penn States they said.
This I agree with 100%. SU is a national program with a strong history that must depend on its traditions. I've always been for the plain orange helmets. That never should have changed.

Syracuse%20Helmet.jpeg

Don't shoot the messenger. Just reporting what I heard. Did they change the logo for that concept about New York's college team, btw? The less Manhattan skyline look the better, imo.

What's difficult about the concept? SU is the only BCS football program in New York state. Hence their campaign to make this fact known throughout the state in the attempt to create some local/state pride and keep in-state talent at home.

This I agree with 100%. SU is a national program with a strong history that must depend on its traditions. I've always been for the plain orange helmets. That never should have changed.

Syracuse%20Helmet.jpeg

this is how easy there are differences of opinions. i am totally fine we moved on from there. i actually prefer the block S and the new look we have with different color options

you can say kids come for the uniform. but you cant really prove that kids wouldnt have come any way or that kids didnt come for the uniform tradition.. I dont that have a traditional uniform means you can cant have a one off or a couple variations that could change every year.. honestly in all the costs of a football team, painting a new helmet design is a drop for a multi million dollar budget.. What does a new set of uniforms really cost? You can get a custom designed sneaker for $20 more than an off the shelf one, uniforms are probably not much different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom