University general counsel Dan French named acting AD. Herman Frazier promoted to Senior Deputy AD | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

University general counsel Dan French named acting AD. Herman Frazier promoted to Senior Deputy AD

Two blowhards talking about hiring another blowhard. I'm done talking about these stuffed shirts.

Honestly, I am a fan of Herm. Herm is the first person I really got to know in the athletic department when SU played softball at ASU in the super regionals about 3-4 years ago. He has been extremely personal, much more so than any other person, other than Gedney and Poles (and in all fairness it is part of their jobs). He always remembers who I am. He and I (assisted by Jason Poles) put together the event in Arizona where we had a fundraising dinner with the SU women's basketball team. They then took that concept on the road to DC and some other places. I sat at two breakfasts at Orange Central where Herm was the representative from athletics talking about things like athlete accountability, and how we make it possible for all of our athletes to return to SU to complete their degrees. He even mentioned those who left because they got into trouble. Mookie Jones would have been an example of that. He came back, got his degree and teaches in the Syracuse school system now. Herm speaks softly and well. He has the experience, although there has been controversy in his past AD jobs. I can tell you from my experiences when we have a team at ASU, and I need to deal with the athletic dept at ASU, he is HIGHLY HIGHLY respected by athletics at ASU! I would think he would be a very good AD at SU. My only concern is how much longer would he want to stay in Syracuse. Do we get much more than 5-6 years before he would want to retire. He maintains a home here in AZ.

Picking a lawyer as the interim AD. I like it. We need somebody pragmatic while we look for a new AD.

Not a fan of Herm Frazier he has done a horrible job managing our future FB schedules. His incompetence has led to this UConn series and we still have 2 opening for next year. Get on it Herm.

While I'm not sure if Herm is totally responsible for scheduling, I do know it's part of the problem with SUAD of holding people accountable versus getting things done by committee where no one is held accountable.

In defense of Herm, I do know on good authority he was mainly responsible for getting HCDB to even consider coming to SU and lining up key personnel like Floyd Little & Jim Brown to contact him directly as part of the courtship process. If you recall, HCDB was not Mark Coyle's first or second pick. I really think one of the root causes of disallusionment of Coyle was his seemingly inability to make decisions without going through numerous procedural & political steps.

I hope the new AD knows about the quagmire series of processes at SUAD before he or she accepts the position - however, the cumbersome process did eventually get us the right football head coach - at least my perception HCDB was the best of the lot at the time even though Coyle didn't think so.

Two blowhards talking about hiring another blowhard. I'm done talking about these stuffed shirts.

upload_2016-5-19_13-2-28.jpeg

Honestly, I am a fan of Herm. Herm is the first person I really got to know in the athletic department when SU played softball at ASU in the super regionals about 3-4 years ago. He has been extremely personal, much more so than any other person, other than Gedney and Poles (and in all fairness it is part of their jobs). He always remembers who I am. He and I (assisted by Jason Poles) put together the event in Arizona where we had a fundraising dinner with the SU women's basketball team. They then took that concept on the road to DC and some other places. I sat at two breakfasts at Orange Central where Herm was the representative from athletics talking about things like athlete accountability, and how we make it possible for all of our athletes to return to SU to complete their degrees. He even mentioned those who left because they got into trouble. Mookie Jones would have been an example of that. He came back, got his degree and teaches in the Syracuse school system now. Herm speaks softly and well. He has the experience, although there has been controversy in his past AD jobs. I can tell you from my experiences when we have a team at ASU, and I need to deal with the athletic dept at ASU, he is HIGHLY HIGHLY respected by athletics at ASU! I would think he would be a very good AD at SU. My only concern is how much longer would he want to stay in Syracuse. Do we get much more than 5-6 years before he would want to retire. He maintains a home here in AZ.

I think his new title will be permanent and keeps him here awhile but it says to me he wont be the AD. If he had a chance to get the AD job, there was no need for the new title.

I think his new title will be permanent and keeps him here awhile but it says to me he wont be the AD. If he had a chance to get the AD job, there was no need for the new title.
Yep - seems like a move to placate him for not getting the big gig.

While I'm not sure if Herm is totally responsible for scheduling, I do know it's part of the problem with SUAD of holding people accountable versus getting things done by committee where no one is held accountable.

In defense of Herm, I do know on good authority he was mainly responsible for getting HCDB to even consider coming to SU and lining up key personnel like Floyd Little & Jim Brown to contact him directly as part of the courtship process. If you recall, HCDB was not Mark Coyle's first or second pick. I really think one of the root causes of disallusionment of Coyle was his seemingly inability to make decisions without going through numerous procedural & political steps.

I hope the new AD knows about the quagmire series of processes at SUAD before he or she accepts the position - however, the cumbersome process did eventually get us the right football head coach - at least my perception HCDB was the best of the lot at the time even though Coyle didn't think so

Chakka, given what I know about Kent, I am hoping his strong acumen finds a way to solve this mess, given these new realities. Kinda shocked that he doesn't streamline the processes here ASAP, and bring in someone who he trusts to make decisions that are sound. With the Framework developments, veterans advancement, etc., athletics needs to have someone who can work independently and get things accomplished. Any clue if there is a way out of this quagmire? Not trying to speak for him, but Bees has insinuated in the past, that the situation that generated distaste with Coyle is almost unfixable, which while I believe him, frustrates me. I would like to believe that strong leadership can rectify all problems or at the very least mitigate them.

Chakka, given what I know about Kent, I am hoping his strong acumen finds a way to solve this mess, given these new realities. Kinda shocked that he doesn't streamline the processes here ASAP, and bring in someone who he trusts to make decisions that are sound. With the Framework developments, veterans advancement, etc., athletics needs to have someone who can work independently and get things accomplished. Any clue if there is a way out of this quagmire? Not trying to speak for him, but Bees has insinuated in the past, that the situation that generated distaste with Coyle is almost unfixable, which while I believe him, frustrates me. I would like to believe that strong leadership can rectify all problems or at the very least mitigate them.

The Chancellor does not have the time or patience to get involved in SUAD politics - he has enough irons in the fire - the policies and procedures set up by TGD over the last decade are still in place and imbued into the fabric of SUAD. The only decision I can think of made solely by Gross was picking Grob. Since then he implemented decision by committee (it looked like he made the decision regarding FHCSS but that was done through a quasi committee process). Even the infamous Fab Melo incident was done by committee. Don't get me wrong not everything is done by committee.

You cannot unwind and deprogram those business practices in 10 months with what's been in place for 10 years.

Last edited:
The Chancellor does not have the time or patience to get involved in SUAD politics - he has enough irons in the fire - the policies and procedures set up by TGD over the last decade are still in place and imbued into the fabric of SUAD. The only decision I can think of made solely by Gross was picking Grob. Since then he implemented decision by committee (it looked like he made the decision regarding FHCSS but that was done through a quasi committee process). Even the infamous Fab Melo incident was done by committee. Don't get me wrong not everything is done by committee.

You cannot unwind and deprogram those business practices in 10 months.
Yep, I'm with ya, and just to clarify I was trying to say what you did more eloquently that the Chancellor does not have the time, nor should be dealing directly with athletics. A strong hire with a pedigree should be brought in and have the ability to streamline these processes for his/her desire. New hires should not be curtailed by old policy was my thinking.

Good point.

Frazier should have no shot at being the full AD after the ****shows he left at Hawaii and UAB
I don't know about Hawaii, but the UAB situation wasn't his fault. The deck has been so fully stacked against them forever.

You cannot unwind and deprogram those business practices in 10 months with what's been in place for 10 years.

I'm confused. If the process obstacles and politics are wholly within the Athletic Department, then why couldn't Coyle just fix that himself? And if it's "in the fabric" then you lead change, and/or you force the blockers out. It's not rocket science.

I'm confused. If the process obstacles and politics are wholly within the Athletic Department, then why couldn't Coyle just fix that himself? And if it's "in the fabric" then you lead change, and/or you force the blockers out. It's not rocket science.

But what if your hands are tied? Secondly you cannot just dictate to existing people to change and adapt to new ways of doing things overnight...too many roadblocks & deadlocks exist. Nuff said about this on my part.

But what if your hands are tied? Secondly you cannot just dictate to existing people to change and adapt to new ways of doing things overnight...too many roadblocks & deadlocks exist. Nuff said about this on my part.

I still don't get it, but perhaps you're not comfortable elaborating, which I understand.

But if the Chancellor doesn't want to be involved I don't understand who's tying the AD's hands. And while you cannot force people to change you can absolutely begin to remove the people who won't. Do people in the Athletic Department have tenure? If not it's adapt or die, that's the way of the world.

IthacaBarrel said:
Well now...