Unless Shane Greene blows his arm out or loses everything about his current success | Syracusefan.com

Unless Shane Greene blows his arm out or loses everything about his current success

CaliCuse

All American
It seems as though the Yankees have a strong contender for a rotation starter next year.Add him to Tanaka Phelps, Pineda and Nova along with a rookie or two andCC they have an excellent starting group. The bullpen with Betances Robertson and Warren. seems solid . Add Whitely as a long man or one of the rookies. The offense remains a ? It may or may not go to a big trade guy. Cashman may be on a leash to hold him back from trading top prospects. I look for Refsnyder to get a full shot at second base. Judge a solid look at right field. Headley has defense on his side so far this year but his bat is too weak to give him the job outright. Jagielo will get a "look"

Judge is playing in single A right now, he isnt getting a long look in spring training. He will go to AA or start in Tampa and go to Trenton. Jagielo has been hurt a good portion of the year and has been very inconsistent and scouts have not been very high on him at all. He isnt very good defensively and his bat hasnt been producing

Sure, I wouldn't overpay Robertson when there is someone in line for the job.

As for Robertson they may give him a qualifying offer, but not a contract offer. If he takes it then they have got an elite closer. If not, then they will get top 40 draft picks, Dellin Betances as closer, and Jacob Lindgren and his electric arm possibly knocking on the door

But with as much question going into next years rotation you need stability and length/depth in the pen so they may offer him a contract

But with as much question going into next years rotation you need stability and length/depth in the pen so they may offer him a contract
I would try to lock Robertson up to a 3 or 4 year deal. He's really good, still relatively young, has proven he can handle the closer's role and has no problem pitching in the NY spotlight.

Betances in the set-up role for a few more years would not be a bad thing; I would like to see if he can maintain his dominance for more than a season, and would not be comfortable handing him the closer's job just yet. For a lot of guys, the move from set-up to closer is a big jump. With all the uncertainty surrounding this team going into 2015, I'd like to at least feel good about my closer.

I don't like spending big money on relievers. Having a good bullpen is important, but like NFL running backs, finding guys to plug in is easier than ever. The formula is clear. Take a mediocre starter that throws 95+ and have him focus on two pitches. Success is far more likely when one only pitches one inning at a time. All things being equal, the odds are against a team scoring a run in any one inning. Shane Greene might be a good 7th or 8th inning guy if there is no room in the rotation.