Update on my son, the goalie: | Syracusefan.com

Update on my son, the goalie:

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
5 months after hip surgery, (torn labrum, cartilage damage, and shaving the radial head to make it is round again) he played in his first college game. Got in with 30 minutes to go. Kicks and punts were inconsistent but the big moment came on a free kick into the box. He confidently called “keeper” and “supermanned” into the scrum to punch the ball away.
The rest will come, but there was no fear or hesitation. A huge day for his dream to continue.

Last edited:
Seems to have secured the starting position. Very poor defensive team (update to follow herein) as 2 games ago he faced 18 shots on goal, seemingly all within the 18, many within the 6. Did have 12 saves. (Bright side).
After that, the coach changed formation from a 4-4-2 to a 4-1-4-1. Also benched 2 starters.
Much better defense yesterday. Nice having a dedicated defensive midfielder. 0-0 tie. Our team still can’t score.
My boy survived a PK and headed off a couple of 1 v 1 concerns by coming aggressively out of the box. Actually deflected a shot at the 18 line when he came out. I think that move startles some guys at this level.

Follow up: Since the change of formation and 2 starters, the team has gone 1-0-1. My son has given up zero goals in his last 200 minutes (one game was OT, ending 0-0), with 12 saves.
Most importantly, he is pain free, and back doing what he loves.
Still needs conditioning and re-honing his skills and timing, but that will come.
Again, so thankful we were led to the amazing surgeon through this board. (Thank OutofTownie)
Here are some highlights (team website) from near the end of their 1-0 win tonight.

Last edited:
Goalies are as different breed (same with hockey and field hockey and lax). Much like catchers in baseball.

Congrats and best of luck!

Goalies are as different breed (same with hockey and field hockey and lax). Much like catchers in baseball.

Congrats and best of luck!
Thanx. At this point, I just get to watch and support.

Conference defensive player of the week. :)
Won yesterday. He gave up a quality goal, (it was free kick, through the box, headed back across the goal. Well done.) He might have had it, but slipped (very wet turf yesterday.). Team won 2-1 and are unbeaten since coach changed the formation and line up. (They also beat Wells this week, but they are a poor squad, so the coach played the other 2 keepers and a lot of bench guys.).
They may need to win out to make the conference play-offs (only 5 of 9make it. #5 plays #4 as a play in type of game.).

Sage with another win: 2-0 vs Hartwick, which has been depleted by injuries, (including my son’s good friend, whose head injury required a his face to be peeled back to repair the fracture).
My son had 6 saves today, and has now given up just 1 goal in his last 380 minutes of game time.

I know Coach Mike from his time as an assistant at RPI. Played a lot of pickup basketball and pickup soccer with him. Really nice guy. Congrats on the success your son is seeing.

I know Coach Mike from his time as an assistant at RPI. Played a lot of pickup basketball and pickup soccer with him. Really nice guy. Congrats on the success your son is seeing.
I hope to meet him this weekend. What has impressed me so far:
1: Trusted his assistant (edit: HC had never seen my son play, and he was recovering from hip surgery) who told my son when he was healthy, he was the starter. True to their promise.
2. Not afraid to make changes. After giving up 19 SOG to Nazareth, he changed the formation and 2 starters. Some coaches can only do things one way.

Last edited:
Final update:
Team lost the last 2 games, 2-0 each. (Utica/Houghton -FWIW - Houghton had best field player I saw this year. 6’4”-6’5” 230lbs center back. Really good defender and good with his feet. )

All good goals, but the last one today, under 2 minutes left in a then 1-0 game, playing a man down almost all of the 2nd half, he came way out to try to stop a break away, but gave up an easy goal.

The team missed the conference tournament, but only lose 4 guys to graduation. They need a striker who can score. If they get a freshman or transfer that can score, they should be good. On the year, he had at least 65 saves in 8 starts. (Some other saves in 1/2 games as he was working back from his layoff.). 80% save percentage, which given the quality of shots against him, was really good, I think.

Really looking forward to him having a complete spring training (has not had one in 2 prior college seasons), getting into shape, and a summer of high level play.)

Thanks for letting me indulge and brag.

Here are the only highlights the school has posted that have him. 1-0. Win.

Last edited:
Hey Capt. Tuttle - Just read about the new Sage coach. Is your son still there? Apparently the new coach grew up here and knows a whole bunch of the Bosnian guys I play hoops with. Read he’s a former goalie himself. Hope this is a good thing for your kid.

Last edited:
Hey Capt. Tuttle - Just read about the new Sage coach. Is your son still there? Apparently the new coach grew up here and knows a whole bunch of the Bosnian guys I play hoops with. Read he’s a former goalie himself. Hope this is a good thing for your kid.
Yes he is still there. Coach hasn’t met the team yet. Thanks for the good wishes. I will keep you informed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom