Update: Winningest Programs since 2009 | Syracusefan.com

Update: Winningest Programs since 2009

moqui

generational talent
I have been keeping track of this for several years now. Since the 2008-09 season that began SU's renaissance, the Orange have been one of the most consistently successful teams in the nation. They came into this season 3rd in win total over that period, trailing Kansas by 9 and Duke by 5. That gap has narrowed considerably through the early part of this season - picking up 5 games on Kansas and 3 games on Duke. If the Orange keep winning and get a little help from elsewhere, it would be awesome to tie or pass Duke by beating them in the Dome.

Below are the top 35 teams over the past 5+ seasons in terms of total wins (winning percentage is a little different from total wins, but not much, and does not effect SU's standing in the pecking order).

NOTE: number 11 on this list is Michigan State, not Michigan as shown. The numbers are correct but "State" was left off the name. Thanks to Raleigh for pointing that out.

8tyx.jpg

Last edited:
I like the total wins better than percentage because it also points to post season tourney success. Gotta win to keep playing and winning.

I like the total wins better than percentage because it also points to post season tourney success. Gotta win to keep playing and winning.
yep . . . if SU was to win a national title this year, that might be enough to pass both Duke and Kansas. As the winningest overall team, with a title and a second Final Four appearance (plus an Elite 8 and two other Sweet 16s), that would give us the nod as best program in the nation over a 6 year period.

Might not make Syracuse a "blue blood" from a long term historical perspective, but it's a damn fine start.

And Duke and Kansas had the benefit of not being in the Big East which had 10 or more NCAA tournament teams and 3 to 5 top ten teams year in and year out.

Watch Syracuse's win total take another bump up now that they are in the ACC.

And Duke and Kansas had the benefit of not being in the Big East which had 10 or more NCAA tournament teams and 3 to 5 top ten teams year in and year out.

Watch Syracuse's win total take another bump up now that they are in the ACC.

I wonder if we will ever see a brutal 5-10 game stretch like we often did in the BE again. It seemed like you would play 5 out of 8ranked teams and then some borderline ranked team Mon on the road after a Sat home game.

By my non-scientific count, Syracuse has beaten 16 of those teams in the time period in question (some of them multiple times).

I was surprised not to see Michigan State on the list. So I checked out their record and it's 147-49... your Michigan listing must be Michigan State, right?

I was surprised not to see Michigan State on the list. So I checked out their record and it's 147-49... your Michigan listing must be Michigan State, right?
yes, that is supposed to be MSU; UM is 122-67. the numbers are correct but the name variable was incomplete

I didn't realize UConn was so average.

In 2010 they had 16 losses and even in their championship year in 2011 they had 9 losses, in 2012 they had 14 losses. So they had 39 losses in just those 3 years compared to our 36 losses over 5 seasons. They have had double digit losses in 3 of the past 5 seasons and they may have a difficult time escaping a fourth in 2014.

They were on a down slide before Jim Calhoun officially retired. Calhoun's health issues, frequent absences and returns didn't help his team's lack of consistency either. Not into ripping them nor any other program but it sure seems that this down turn couldn't have occurred at a worse time for them. AD issues and instability, NCAA issues, coaching instability, recent performance slide on the court/field, plus their relatively short history and the lawsuit uggh etc - horrific timing and poor leadership foresight during a critical period to ensure themselves a place for their collegiate sports to thrive.Not a good time to be be heading in the wrong direction. Has to be so frustrating and tough to be a UConn fan at this time. Thankful that SU's leadership was able to navigate this critical period well enough for us to thrive instead of just survive or it may have been us.

Last edited:
Georgetown not on the list?

boeheim-laugh-shrug-o.gif
Georgetown is 119-56 over that period, tied for 52nd in wins (and 40th in winning percentage)

Make the wins & losses columns integers and it'll look neater.

Make the wins & losses columns integers and it'll look neater.

But Seth Davis said we can't get a full win for Miami so it must be worth half a win

I think we're in second place for wins in the NCAAT over the last five years.

There's like a five way tie for first.

And yet I keep reading comments about how we're a program that suffers from What losses. Even though we have won 50 straight non conference games at home and have the record posted in this thread.

I have been keeping track of this for several years now. Since the 2008-09 season that began SU's renaissance, the Orange have been one of the most consistently successful teams in the nation. They came into this season 3rd in win total over that period, trailing Kansas by 9 and Duke by 5. That gap has narrowed considerably through the early part of this season - picking up 5 games on Kansas and 3 games on Duke. If the Orange keep winning and get a little help from elsewhere, it would be awesome to tie or pass Duke by beating them in the Dome.

Below are the top 35 teams over the past 5+ seasons in terms of total wins (winning percentage is a little different from total wins, but not much, and does not effect SU's standing in the pecking order).

NOTE: number 11 on this list is Michigan State, not Michigan as shown. The numbers are correct but "State" was left off the name. Thanks to Raleigh for pointing that out.

8tyx.jpg
yep that confirms we are in the midst of a "glory years" stretch. Was saying that in a long thread earlier this season

http://syracusefan.com/threads/my-god-were-good.62442/

And had all this confirmed in a surreally funny way this morning. A long time patient, fellow SU fan who happens to coach hoops (in fact he coached Brianna Stewart)...anyway as we were talking about the game last night he made mention that at least they (SU) "should be tested when North Carolina comes to town". It took us a few moments to realize the irony and significance of that statement from a historical perspective and we started to laugh. Wow. Lets enjoy the ride for as long and as high as it takes us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom