USC guard can transfer & play immediatly | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

USC guard can transfer & play immediatly

OttoinGrotto said:
I think transferring is his style. I think using all of his scholarships isn't his style though.:noidea:
We are generally 1 short? I think jb keeps some of that and gives to walk on maybe for apr manipulation...

please, try to be realistic: he's a high volume player looking to make one last audition for the next level - he is not going anywhere that can't guarantee him a showcase.

plus, he's lived his entire life in California. I doubt Syracuse is even on his radar.

Another curiousity in the linked article is the mention of Katin Rheinhadt transferring in to USC next year. He was once on the Syracuse recruiting radar. He's a weird story. Verballed to USC, then bailed out and chose UNLV instead, then left UNLV to go back to USC.

Pretty much why I don't think we're going to bring in a fifth year guy. These are guys who are trying to make one last push. They want to go someplace where they know they will be the man from day one. And while that may be true here in theory, the fact is we already have five guys on the roster who can play guard in Kaleb, Cooney, G, Buss, and BJ.

please, try to be realistic: he's a high volume player looking to make one last audition for the next level - he is not going anywhere that can't guarantee him a showcase.

plus, he's lived his entire life in California. I doubt Syracuse is even on his radar.

Another curiousity in the linked article is the mention of Katin Rheinhadt transferring in to USC next year. He was once on the Syracuse recruiting radar. He's a weird story. Verballed to USC, then bailed out and chose UNLV instead, then left UNLV to go back to USC.
Most of these 5th year players are not "looking for a showcase." They either want playing time or they want to win. SU can offer both. The fact is there would be no risk to SU taking this kid. We are missing a player we expected to be here next year in Ennis. AZnd the one year deal doesn't put him in anyone elses way. Give him Ennis scholly for next year and we're still short at least one. Does anyone really believe we couldn't use a guard that averages 18pts a game in the Pac12? "Lived his entire life in California.."?? So I guess SU should never ever recruit anyone from CA if they've lived their entire life there?" This makes much more sense than Barton would have last year. Though if we'd have gotten Barton I don't think Ennis would have played 35 minutes a game. Who doesn't think SU could have used another guard that could shoot and handle the ball last year? He woudl've stretched our rotation by 1 player. He would not have gotten the minutes and role he got at TN though.

Exactly how I recall it as well.

no risk to SU,maybe, but nothing in it for the kid

what's in it for him? why would he want to come somewhere where he would have to compete for PT when there will be other places that will hand it to him?

and the California thing is huge. Syracuse has not successfully recruited a Cali kid since major project Sean Williams, and has not landed a serious player from the Golden State since Tony Bland a decade and a half ago.

I think he would have to be a player the staff knew personally you wouldn't want to risk rocking the apple cart unless you know the player!

moqui said:
no risk to SU,maybe, but nothing in it for the kid what's in it for him? why would he want to come somewhere where he would have to compete for PT when there will be other places that will hand it to him? and the California thing is huge. Syracuse has not successfully recruited a Cali kid since major project Sean Williams, and has not landed a serious player from the Golden State since Tony Bland a decade and a half ago.
Kong?

docsu said:
Pretty much why I don't think we're going to bring in a fifth year guy. These are guys who are trying to make one last push. They want to go someplace where they know they will be the man from day one. And while that may be true here in theory, the fact is we already have five guys on the roster who can play guard in Kaleb, Cooney, G, Buss, and BJ.

In all honesty, though, only one of those is really a point guard. If Joseph was out long term, how would feel if G was our primary point?

if hes looking for a showcase, staying right where he was would suffice just fine

In all honesty, though, only one of those is really a point guard. If Joseph was out long term, how would feel if G was our primary point?

Wesley's not a PG, either. He's a high usage scoring guard with no experience in the system. His admission would upset the guards already on the roster and not address the perceived weakness.

Coming into the last season this is what we were looking at.
2013-2014 Guards
Ennis- no experience
Silent G- averaged 6 mpg after year off
Cooney- averaged 11 mpg
Buss- no experience

Remember we were in the same position last year and it worked out great. At least we have more seasoned players at the guard spot this year to give Joseph the relief that he needs. Ennis was truly a gem and having Joseph recreate that is a difficult task. This what what SU is looking at next year.

2014-2015 Guards
Joseph- no experience
Silent G- 14 mpg
Cooney- starter at 32 mpg
Buss- 5 mpg

Where I think SU needs to go is to find a reserve at the center position, especially if Coleman is not playing the year. As we know Christmas is prone to fouling (refs love calling fouls on him), so getting a backup that can put in at least the 10-15 minutes necessary will go a long way. Don't know how much Chino can provide yet but maybe he can do that also but he was also injured last year too.

2013-2014 Centers
Coleman- 13 mpg (hurt almost 1/2 season)
Christmas- starter at 21 mpg
BMK- 17 mpg
Chino- no experience

2014-2015 Centers
Coleman- 13 mpg (hurt most of the season)- Is he going to play?
Christmas- 24 mpg
Chino- redshirted (injury)

Go after a center that can play immediately like

1. Michigan Jon Horford (6-10) 14 mpg 4 ppg 4 rpg 1 bpg

2. Yale Jeremiah Kreisberg (6-10) 16 mpg 6ppg 3 rig 0 bpg (12/13 stats sat out last year) - help out APR also

3. Gtown Moses Ayegba (6-9) 13 mpg 2 ppg 3 rpg 1 bpg

4. Campbell Darius Leonard (6-9) 26 mpg 10 ppg 5 rpg 0 bpg

5. Cal State Bakersfield Zech Smith (6-11) 10.3 mpg 2.2 ppg 3rpg 1 bpg

and the California thing is huge. Syracuse has not successfully recruited a Cali kid since major project Sean Williams, and has not landed a serious player from the Golden State since Tony Bland a decade and a half ago.
But the guy in baggage claim knew jb was the pearls coach!!

Jeff Eisenberg ‏@JeffEisenberg 6m
Schools vying for USC transfer Byron Wesley per his AAU coach: Cincy, Baylor, Indiana, Providence, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Pitt, OK State

Syracuse doesn't seem interested. Which sucks, but whatever.

Coming into the last season this is what we were looking at.
2013-2014 Guards
Ennis- no experience
Silent G- averaged 6 mpg after year off
Cooney- averaged 11 mpg
Buss- no experience

Remember we were in the same position last year and it worked out great.
I don't think I would say that it worked out great. They lost in the 2nd round to a mid-major and the first round of the ACC tourney. Ennis, well, yeah, he did great for himself. SU, as a whole, had serious backcourt issues. They had a SF as a back-up PG and a SG who couldn't create for himself or others. I'd like to see them avoid the same fate next season, which could be even worse if Kaleb Joseph isn't as spectacular* as Ennis.

*I'd like to take this time to thank Joseph for his year in SU hoops and may his light shine strongly in the NBA - he gone!).

Fly Rodder said:
I don't think I would say that it worked out great. They lost in the 2nd round to a mid-major and the first round of the ACC tourney. Ennis, well, yeah, he did great for himself. SU, as a whole, had serious backcourt issues. They had a SF as a back-up PG and a SG who couldn't create for himself or others. I'd like to see them avoid the same fate next season, which could be even worse if Kaleb Joseph isn't as spectacular* as Ennis. *I'd like to take this time to thank Joseph for his year in SU hoops and may his light shine strongly in the NBA - he gone!).
Joseph... He gone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom