Useless review - Salt Lake Comic Con | Syracusefan.com

Useless review - Salt Lake Comic Con

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So yesterday the Mrs. and I attended SLC Comic Con. We had never attended a comic con before, but my wife is hooked and now wants to go to the biggin in San Diego some day.

This was Salt Lake City's first comic con. From a news report that we saw an attendance of 3-4k is pretty good for a first time convention. It's believed that SLC Comic Con is the biggest 1st ever comic con in a city, as some 35k+ tickets were sold. Celebrity attendees included Adam West and Burt Ward, Lou Ferrigno, Henry Winkler, Ray Park, Kevin Sorbo and Stan "The Man" Lee among many others.

As soon as we started approaching the venue my wife commented that we should have gone all out and done costumes. That made me laugh, but for all I know she was serious and next time we really will get all nerdy. Some of the costumes were really good, including a really good Mystique (my wife commented that thank goodness she had the body to pull that one off), a really good Nova and Cable, and a really impressive Nightwing that absolutely looked capable of dispensing vigilante justice. By far the most popular female costume was Poison Ivy. For the most part, the women in costumes were pretty attractive. The same cannot be said for the menfolk, although I really enjoyed seeing Fat Hellboy, Fatter Deadpool, Fat Batman, and Morbidly Obese Flash, as they brought a different kind of visual aesthetic to things that was comparably entertaining.

I was surprised by how few comic books were actually for sale given that it was a comic book convention. As a lad, I enjoyed collecting some lesser known comics including Darkhawk and The New Warriors from Marvel, and the !mpact line (side note, !mpact was a nice response for kids like me that were turned off by the really gritty stuff Image was doing at the time. The !mpact line had some really cool characters, like the Black Hood and Comet. The line didn't sell well and was only around for a few years, sadly.) in addition to some of the more popular Marvel comic book staples. DC, other than Batman and Green Arrow. Anyway, I was hoping to add some to the collections of those books I still own from when I was a kid and thought this would be the perfect place, but had a very difficult time finding anyone that had them, and came away with just 4 new !mpact comics that I found in one guy's bargain bin. We did pick up some art for our son and a few gifts for family members that we'll tuck away for the holidays, including a book for my huge Twilight Zone fan Uncle by Anne Serling, Rod Serling's daughter, which she was very gracious to sign.

We didn't attend any of the panels even though some of the topics seemed interesting. People watching and shopping seemed like a better use of the time than waiting in line for panels we weren't super interested in.

The highlight for my wife was meeting Dean Cain and getting a picture with him. We initially had hoped to get a picture with Adam West, but getting that set up was pretty crazy so we decided to pass. Dean Cain was friendly and engaging and seemed to really try to relate to the fans. My wife had a Batman belt buckle on which he made fun of at first but excused basically because she's smoking hot. Need proof?
natashaanddeancain.jpg

Other random notes - the swag bags were extremely disappointing and only included a program (which was horribly organized) and a poster for the event. I'm hoping that they had bigger plans for these, but the huge and unexpected attendance made them bare bones. One of the celebrity guests used to be the Yellow Ranger, and she was unexpectedly gorgeous. My wife said she didn't think she was the original Yellow Ranger. I told her that didn't matter. Henry Winkler seemed to be having a good time with the fans, and did this funny thing where he would give the female fans back rubs. That probably sounds creepy, but it was hilarious to watch. Manu Bennett also appeared to be a hit with the ladies. The pictures women were taking with him were hilarious - think overly touchy prom photos of middle aged women with a guy that pretty much looks like a Greek God. His facial expression really sold it, and I'm sure the sun shines brighter today for some of those women. Artist alley was really cool, especially seeing some of the guys crank out sketches that they would sell for a couple of bucks a pop. Some stereotypes about these events sadly hold true - hygiene for some of the male attendees was appropriate for basement dwelling, but should be improved for public appearances. It was also a little odd to see how content people were to sit down and play board games or video games during the event, but to each their own.

All said, we had a good time and are interested in doing this again, maybe even on a bigger scale if we can do some costumes right. When our son is a little older I think he'd love going to this kind of thing. I'm interested to hear stories from other people that have attended Comic Cons.

Nice writeup and wow on the wife. I mean WOW. Well done young man.

I sort of attended a monster con a couple years ago outside of Baltimore (I was just there for work). Got to meet Anthony Michael Hall (kind of standoffish), Barbara Crampton (awesome woman), and Ms. Clare Higgins (who is just the nicest woman ever). But I get what you are saying about the lack of hygiene for some of the attendees.

Nice writeup and wow on the wife. I mean WOW. Well done young man.

I sort of attended a monster con a couple years ago outside of Baltimore (I was just there for work). Got to meet Anthony Michael Hall (kind of standoffish), Barbara Crampton (awesome woman), and Ms. Clare Higgins (who is just the nicest woman ever). But I get what you are saying about the lack of hygiene for some of the attendees.
If I ever get to meet Anthony Michael Hall I'm just going to say "Gimme the keys! Gimme the keys!" over and over again.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Did they have Marvel footage panels?? You should've went in to see some footage of the future Marvel movies.

If I ever get to meet Anthony Michael Hall I'm just going to say "Gimme the keys! Gimme the keys!" over and over again.

Based on what I saw from him, he would not be amused. Very full of himself. Did not want to be there.

Great write up. I think I would have enjoyed going to San Diego Comic Con when Lost was on the air, looks like they did some cool stuff. I haven't followed comics in ages, but I'm always a little sad/nostalgic when I drive by what used to be Twilight Book & Game Emporium on N. Salina St. It's some Rastafarian church/store/center? these days.

Great write up. I think I would have enjoyed going to San Diego Comic Con when Lost was on the air, looks like they did some cool stuff. I haven't followed comics in ages, but I'm always a little sad/nostalgic when I drive by what used to be Twilight Book & Game Emporium on N. Salina St. It's some Rastafarian church/store/center? these days.
Oh yeah? Didn't know that. I used to walk there as a kid, which is pretty crazy. It was probably a good 4 miles from my house. I used to bug my mom about driving me to Captain Comics in Liverpool. For a while there was another card shop/comics place on the northside that was pretty good, but can't remember what that was called.

Did they have Marvel footage panels?? You should've went in to see some footage of the future Marvel movies.
They did not. I think next year the panels might be more interesting. I guess based on just this year alone it could already be the country's fourth biggest comic con. They had no expectations for that going in.

My GF is dying to go to one of these things where they have the Supernatural cast...out of nowhere she's addicted to the show, and watching clips on Tumblr of the cast at the events.

Sounds like a good time. Other than the unwashed masses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom