USMNT soccer team thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is unknown whether Chelsea plan to send Miazga out on loan at this time, though FOX Sports contributor and SI.com columnist Grant Wahl said the Blues expect to keep Miazga with the club for the remainder of the season.

Miazga has a shot here as the Chelsea back 4 have sucked this year. He could be a squad player the rest of the year and then go on loan next year.

Good job MLS developing a kid that could play for a big club in the future.

Miazga will be loaned to a lower budget BPL team by August, which is fine. Id say 90% chance.

Some new faces played in the friendly vs. Iceland on Sunday.

He hasn't been called up to the senior USA team yet, but here is a highlight of 17 y/o Pulisic #22 playing for Dortmund's first team against Ingolstadt. Shows good quickness and touch, could be the future at attacking mid or wing for USMNT.

USMNT plays against Guatemala in attempt to lock up a spot in the Hex in WCQ. Unfortunately its at 10pm ET during the sweet 16 game. Sounds like the young gun Pulisic from above got a call up but is sick. Might be with the team for the second leg in Chicago.

The U23s play against Columbia at 5pm as well as a last attempt to qualify for the Olympics.

Last edited:
U23 holding strong against Columbia with a 1-0 lead after the first half.

U23s gave up a penalty kick part way through the second half and drew 1-1, but gained an important away goal and will play the second leg in Texas.

Men's senior team loses to Guatemala 2-0... First loss to them in 30 years or so.

Tuesday is now must win if we want to move on to the next round of World Cup qualifying. Sadly I could care less.

Said it long time ago, Klinsmann sucks. Sunil may have to go to. Time to clean house.

If the USA doesn't win at home on Tuesday then we are going to be out and Klinsmann has to go.

Must win at home like against Jamaica 4 years ago.

If the USA doesn't win at home on Tuesday then we are going to be out and Klinsmann has to go.

Must win at home like against Jamaica 4 years ago.

Hopefully Besler is good to go. Need to go back to the Besler and Cameron combination because Orozco and Gonzales are not the answer. The last four matches Besler has started have been 3 wins and 1 draw.

I mean playing the rest of their team in their natural positions would help too... but Jurgen gonna Jurgen. Mix Diskerud as a CDM for flucks sake..

Hopefully Besler is good to go. Need to go back to the Besler and Cameron combination because Orozco and Gonzales are not the answer. The last four matches Besler has started have been 3 wins and 1 draw.

I mean playing the rest of their team in their natural positions would help too... but Jurgen gonna Jurgen. Mix Diskerud as a CDM for flucks sake..
According to Jurgen he didn't play anyone out of position... you can't make this up. He needs to go win or lose because he is freaking delusional arrogant jackass

According to Jurgen he didn't play anyone out of position... you can't make this up. He needs to go win or lose because he is freaking delusional arrogant jackass

Besler, Brooks, Johnson all sent to club due to injury. Called in Zusi and Pulisic.

Some leaks saying Birnbaum will start as one of the CBs, which IMO is better than Orozco or Alvarado. Plus he gives you an aerial threat on set pieces.

This is what I'd like to see but it won't happen...

-Altidore up top if he can go the full 90, if not then Wood
-Dempsey playing a bit underneath Altidore in a SS role
-Bedoya playing on the right wing where he is most comfortable, not on the left like Friday.
-Nagbe I think would be better centrally, but Jurgen won't ever take Bradley out so play him on the left.
-Let Bradley play above Cameron at DM so he has some cover, let Cameron cover the back line and distribute.

We are handicapped with our backline due to who Jurgen called up... This is basically our only option other than moving Cameron back to CB which leaves you vulnerable at the 6 with Beckman being slow as molasses. Cameron and Bradley is something that I would like to see; I think they played well together in the WC game vs Belgium.

-------------------Altidore(If Healthy)/Wood----
---------------Demspey--------------------
Nagbe-------------------------------Bedoya
----------------Bradley-----------------------
--------------------Cameron-------------------
Castillo----Birnbaum---Gonzales--Yedlin
---------------------Guzan------------------

Subs: Wood for Altidore or Dempsey if needed.
Zusi for Nagbe if we get a lead and have him play Defensively
Would love to see Pulisic if we get a comfortable lead, but I have a feeling that won't happen.

Win you keep your job Klinsmann.
Draw- you should be fired.
loss- your fired as soon as the whistle is blown.

U-23 should play for a 0-0 draw.

The squad responded nicely 4-0 win and thankfully it was over by halftime.
However U-23 squad is down 1-0 to Columbia in the 35 minute.

The squad responded nicely 4-0 win and thankfully it was over by halftime.
However U-23 squad is down 1-0 to Columbia in the 35 minute.
Tis over... down 3-2 and more importantly 2 away goals to 1 so we need to win the game outright to qualify and that ain't going to happen.

Watching this game it's men against boys... the Colombian frontline just takes the ball away from our guy like a taking candy from a kid. I know we're missing a decent number of our better under-23s because euro teams wouldn't release them but this game was a bit embarrassing. Seems we have a LONG way to go to get back to the days when Landon and Beasely were bossing it for the olympic and junior teams. I really hope that the 2002 team wasn't the golden generation of my lifetime (I'm not quite 40 yet) but I'm afraid more and more it looks like it as every team since that one seemingly is getting worse. Of course it that doesn't help that we have the german dooshbag as coach.

Tis over... down 3-2 and more importantly 2 away goals to 1 so we need to win the game outright to qualify and that ain't going to happen.

Watching this game it's men against boys... the Colombian frontline just takes the ball away from our guy like a taking candy from a kid. I know we're missing a decent number of our better under-23s because euro teams wouldn't release them but this game was a bit embarrassing. Seems we have a LONG way to go to get back to the days when Landon and Beasely were bossing it for the olympic and junior teams. I really hope that the 2002 team wasn't the golden generation of my lifetime (I'm not quite 40 yet) but I'm afraid more and more it looks like it as every team since that one seemingly is getting worse. Of course it that doesn't help that we have the german dooshbag as coach.
LOL and we just got one of our best offensive players sent off with a straight red. Way to go guys.

Seriously - last year's Syracuse team looked better organized than those guys.

Where was that senior team last week?

Finally went with a 4-3-3 and made our presence known on the field. Still not a huge Klinsmann fan, but the team responded nicely.

Finlay is better than Zardes. Once Brooks and Besler are healthy replace Beckerman's aging legs with Cameron at DM.

U-23 team was a joke. So disorganized and looked awful. They were dominated. I know we didn't have Yedlin/Rubin and bunch of others but wow was that a joke.

Not beating Honduras was the problem. Our youth system right now is scary bad. I can't believe we don't have many prospects even in contention to play for Champions League squad.

The MLS while it is a good thing for the country it is awful for our country developing talent. Too many MLS players in the USMNT.

Dempsey/Bradley/Altidore came back and now the Jordan Morris types are staying home. US Soccer is going backwards which is amazing. MLS is helping the other lower CONCACAF teams develop talent and not making the USMNT better.
Mexico and Costa Rica are passing us by and Panama/Honduras/Jamaica/ Trindad and Tobago are becoming non-automatic wins now.

U-23 team was a joke. So disorganized and looked awful. They were dominated. I know we didn't have Yedlin/Rubin and bunch of others but wow was that a joke.

Not beating Honduras was the problem. Our youth system right now is scary bad. I can't believe we don't have many prospects even in contention to play for Champions League squad.

The MLS while it is a good thing for the country it is awful for our country developing talent. Too many MLS players in the USMNT.

Dempsey/Bradley/Altidore came back and now the Jordan Morris types are staying home. US Soccer is going backwards which is amazing. MLS is helping the other lower CONCACAF teams develop talent and not making the USMNT better.
Mexico and Costa Rica are passing us by and Panama/Honduras/Jamaica/ Trindad and Tobago are becoming non-automatic wins now.
Actually Pulisic, who made his debut for the senior team last night, started a few games for Borussia Dortmund this year and he's only 17 so I would say he fits the definition of a prospect who is in contention for a champions league squad. We have another 18 year who is one of Tottenham's best prospects, supposedly. Hyndman who played for the u-23 team is supposedly going to manure this summer but i don't see it. Chelsea just bought Miazga. Fab Johnson played in the Champions League this year.

Generally speaking however I do agree with you... having all of our leaders come back to play in MLS has stagnated their games in a big way. Everyone thinks they can be Landon Donovan maintain world class quality in MLS, unfortunately there is only one Landon Donovan. We need a new coach and we need our players to start challenging themselves in Europe again. I feel like we've gone backwards in the last 8 years or so. We need the next stars to start coming through but they don't seem to exist.

I knew the Eurosnobs would blame any problems on MLS as oon as a few players came back. Its BS. The reason the National team is where it is right now is because the coach is, has been, and always will be clueless. The Donovan decision was the single worse decision I have seen in regards to squad selections and Klinsmann has not done anything that would change my opinion since. Part of me was hoping for a loss Tuesday so we could say good bye. Now it looks like were stuck with him until the hex at least.

Our talent is not that good.

In CONCACAF its good enough. We would struggle to qualify if we were in South America.

That is it. Our best athletes shouldn't be in the MLS they should be challenging themselves in Europe.

Klinsmann has tried to upgrade the talent pool. We have some prospects but they are years away.

Dempsey is world class but he is stuck in MLS. Our depth behind isn't there. Altidore can do well in CONCACAF but he isn't great in the world view.

The USA needs to develop world class defenders and a striker.

Our defending is awful. Our strikers are mediocre.

We can't keep possession against any good teams.

The kid at Dortmund looks like a player, the kid at Aresenal/Rangers has done nothing/ the kid at Tottenham is loaned at Sunderland,

We need more of our top players to be playing as starters on European teams. Our top players on MLS squads is not good.

In CONCACAF its good enough. We would struggle to qualify if we were in South America.

That is it. Our best athletes shouldn't be in the MLS they should be challenging themselves in Europe.

Klinsmann has tried to upgrade the talent pool. We have some prospects but they are years away.

Dempsey is world class but he is stuck in MLS. Our depth behind isn't there. Altidore can do well in CONCACAF but he isn't great in the world view.

The kid at Dortmund looks like a player, the kid at Aresenal/Rangers has done nothing/ the kid at Tottenham is loaned at Sunderland,

We need more of our top players to be playing as starters on European teams. Our top players on MLS squads is not good.

But its better than losing 2-0 at Guatemala by letting a 37 year old with a pot belly Carlos Ruiz score on us by getting behind the D on a ball over the top.

The biggest problem we have is we don't know what we have because our coach holds grudges and won't play anyone who doesn't fit his vision for what a soccer player should be. And even when he calls in his favorites he doesn't play them in the position they normally play.

I agree our player pool isn't that great but it's better than what Klinsie's done with it over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.