USMNT soccer team thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a lot more optimistic when JP calls our games for some reason.

Good result tonight. Now all we need is a draw against Paraguay and we are thru the knockout round.
The US was dominated the first 7 minutes of this match. Then the obvious push penalty in the box and the USA dominated the rest of the first half and went up 3-0.

I believe the men of the match were Jermaine Jones and Center backs Cameron/Brooks.

Dempsey was good. Bradley was a lot better than last match but not great again.

If I were Klinsmann the one change I would love is Pulisic for Zardes. Enough of Zardes the guy got about the best service any USA forward is going to get against decent competition and blows so many scoring opportunities with bad decisions.

I think Pulisic would bury one of the chances or awful shots that Zardes is getting.

Last edited:
Today's presser by Galati was quite revealing... it looks like if Jurgen goes 3 and out, he's going to have some hard questions to answer.

I think we beat Costa Rica tonight... I actually liked how the team played against Colombia and I think they will be able to unlock the Costa Rica D.
good Call

Bradley was a lot better than last match but not great again..

I don't quite get what you were looking for out of Bradley. Jones was a beast on the left and Zardes was getting up and down on the right. Combine that with the score and someone had to play the pure DM role last night and I thought Bradley did a really good job...there was no reason for him to try and get forward with the game comfortably in hand for 50+ minutes. And he eliminated the bad giveaways that plagued him throughout the Columbia game. I thought he was very solid in the role he was being asked to play.

If I were Klinsmann the one change I would love is Pulisic for Zardes. Enough of Zardes the guy got about the best service any USA forward is going to get against decent competition and blows so many scoring opportunities with bad decisions.

I think Pulisic would bury one of the chances or awful shots that Zardes is getting.

Zardes struggled. No doubt. He was asked to play box to box last night and I do not watch the Galaxy but I do not think, based upon what I saw, that he is a box to box guy for the Galaxy. He got caught ball-watching on several occasions and also got caught in possession several times and committed some bad turnovers in the defensive end of the field. It is very hard to do the amount of tracking back that he was asked to do and then still have the energy to both get forward, maintain possession and go at guys 1 v 1...

Asking a 17 year old kid to come in and play that role is a huge ask...

A few other thoughts...

Yedlin is getting better but still relies too much on his pace on the defensive end.

What a difference having centerbacks who are very comfortable with the ball at their feet...

Whoever said that Jones is done in this thread should try to invoke Europe's right to forget law...

Paraguay is going to be an extremely tough game. They are a tough, physical team and the US will need its A game, once again, to get a result. I just hope both Jones and Dempsey have enough left in the tank. 3 games in nine days is going to be tough on 30+ year-old legs...

All-in, I was pleased, even after Columbia. I've been watching this team for 25+ years and we are finally at the point where we can compete with everyone with the exception of the really top teams in the world. And, by compete, I mean try to impose our will on them rather than hoping to achieve a result by bunkering and countering...

I know it is a results business but I look at progress. 8 of 11 starters are homegrown as is the entire bench...

Slowly but surely we are progressing...

Bradley since going from Roma to Toronto has had national team performance dip bigtime.
He was a bedrock on the national team from 2010-2014. Klinsmann had him out of position as a number 10 but even in the number 6 he has played these first 2 games he is so careless with the ball and with his passes. The first 5 minutes lastnight he had an awful turnover that Arsenal striker Joel Campbell missed wide. Bradley was lucky how well Jones played last night in the midfield. Bradley is the captain with the armband he has higher expectations. For the USMNT to be a contender they need more out of the kid.

I was one of the people who wanted Jones out of starting XI because he isn't going to be in the WC and I wanted to give younger players experience in a huge international tournament.

However, Jones was the MOTM last night and was huge in the midfield.

I agree about Paraguay we need to concentrate on defending. As a draw will get us thru as Costa Rica is not beating Columbia by 6 goals.

Good result tonight. Now all we need is a draw against Paraguay and we are thru the knockout round.
The US was dominated the first 7 minutes of this match. Then the obvious push penalty in the box and the USA dominated the rest of the first half and went up 3-0.

I believe the men of the match were Jermaine Jones and Center backs Cameron/Brooks.

Dempsey was good. Bradley was a lot better than last match but not great again.

Yes, Pulisic is better going forward and probably retaining possession but, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, Zardes's work rate make him the better choice. His work tracking back and helping regain possession has been critical and while he's not Messi he is providing an outlet for defenders on our side of the field. Zardes's athleticism, speed and sheer physicality are what allow him to do all this and Pulisic just doesn't have that stuff. I'm willing to sacrifice offense for everything else Zardes brings to the table if we are not behind.

Sadly even when we win 4-0 I still think Klinsmann is an idiot.. when 2 of your best players are way on the wrong side of 30 why would you not sub them much much sooner especially with a game saturday against a tough team where we need to get at least a point. He's going to play the same dudes on Saturday for 90 and we'll have nothing left for the quarters if we make it. It's like he is incapable of learning from past mistakes. No matter how we do this tournament I can't wait until this world cup cycle is over and we can move on from Klinsmann... I've never liked a coach less, well unless we're talking about he who shall not be named (hint: his favorite book was the little engine that could).

on a side note during the 4th quarter of the NBA finals tonight the top US trending item on twitter was Messi

As he should have been. He is a master of his craft and simply a joy to watch on the pitch. The guy played 30 mins and completely changed the game. And it only took those 30 minutes to take a share of the scoring lead for the tournament. Unreal. And the fact that Panama was playing with only 10 didn't matter. Messi's goals were earned...and that serve into the box for the fifth goal was dead solid perfect placement.

Seriously, who wants to watch Draymond Green punch guys in the nuts and Steph chew on his mouth guard?

on a side note during the 4th quarter of the NBA finals tonight the top US trending item on twitter was Messi
I was almost hoping for another blowout so I could justify flipping to Fox when I saw Messi was subbed in.

I'll gladly take 0-0 tonight. Just get us the point.
image.jpeg

Gotta love the way we are playing. I'd love to get a shot at Brazil on our home turf later in the week.

I missed the red card. What happened? Deserved?
Yedlin made a hard tackle that was questionably a foul. Looked to me like he got the ball, but ref gave him a yellow. Like 45 seconds later he went in and made a really dumb obvious foul and got his second. He sits out the next match. He wasn't really having a good tournament anyways.

Team played very well. Zardes is maddening to watch; so inconsistent with his touches and decisions. I want more Zusi.

I like the thought of a front line of Wood, Pulisic and Jordan Morris down the line.

The USA winning group A is so huge. First, they get to play in Seattle over Metlife. Playing in Seattle will be a huge HFA with those fans being among the best in the country.
Second, unless Haiti beats Equador then Brazil will need a draw to advance. Thus, we are likely going to avoid Brazil which owns in basketball. the USA like Syracuse owns Colgate in basketball.
Third, the US pathway to the Final basically becomes Peru/Equador and then Mexico and TV could get USA vs. Mexico and Brazil/Columbia vs. Argentina in the semifinals.

Do we have any young players who could be impact guys over in Europe? I know we have a bunch of guys who play or have played in Bundesliga and the 2nd tier of the Premier League but I'm talking someone who goes to a upper echelon squad in any of the European leagues - Premier/Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A. (Not Goalkeepers)

Do we have any young players who could be impact guys over in Europe? I know we have a bunch of guys who play or have played in Bundesliga and the 2nd tier of the Premier League but I'm talking someone who goes to a upper echelon squad in any of the European leagues - Premier/Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A. (Not Goalkeepers)
Wood just signed with Hamburg in the Bundsliga.
Aron Johansson is with Werner Berman.
Geoff Cameron is with Stoke City.
Deandre Yedlin is with Tottenham and will be loaned again.
Christian Pulisic is with Dortmund
Fabian Johnson is with Monchingblad.
The bottom 3 are with Champions league teams.
We don't have many more other Cameron Vickers with Tottenham and a couple of other players on the u-23 team.

I forgot the top USA scoring prospect Gideon Zelahem he is an Arensal player who was loaned out to Rangers in Scotland.

Also, if John Brooks continues playing like he has this tournament and shuts down the middle as he has a Champions league team in Germany most likely could become interested in him. Brooks has been the best player on the USA team IMO this tournament, Brooks current team is in Europa league qualifying so hopefully they make it and we have another player in European competition.

Also, if John Brooks continues playing like he has this tournament and shuts down the middle as he has a Champions league couild become interested in him. Brooks has been the best player on the USA team IMO this tournament, Brooks current team is in Europa league qualifying so hopefully they make it and we have another player in European competition.

Thought the same last night. If scouts aren't completely tuned in to Euro's, Brooks has got to at least be on the radar of some top clubs. He got to every ball first last night. The 3 v 1 that he shut down was incredible.

Thought the same last night. If scouts aren't completely tuned in to Euro's, Brooks has got to at least be on the radar of some top clubs. He got to every ball first last night. The 3 v 1 that he shut down was incredible.
Brooks was the man of the match last night.
CktvPd5XEAAoG14.jpg:large

His size and speed have to put him on the radars of UCL teams. I mean you hit the nail on Mizaga I know he is a RB but Brooks as CB is more important IMO and he has crushed it. I would love to USA play Argentina and have him against Messi. Brooks club didn't want him to play in the Copa America to rest. Now maybe because they didn't want him to get the exposure from playing in this tournament and asking request a transfer to a bigger club.

The USA has a legit shot if they can avoid Brazil to make the Finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.