USMNT soccer team thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was awful. D caught napping in the 88th minute.

(Timmy woulda saved that)

Freaking flicked header at the near-post across the goal. Not sure a man at the far post could have helped but wouldn't have hurt. Regardless, can't lose your man on a set piece like that and allow them space to get a clean play on the ball.

Anothervepic fail in the Klinsman era, time for you to go Jurgy.

Hell even I could have laid the ball off to my teammate with a clear 7 foot shot on goal. Not the captain though. Captain Brainfart dating back to his World Cup blackouts.

Freaking flicked header at the near-post across the goal. Not sure a man at the far post could have helped but wouldn't have hurt. Regardless, can't lose your man on a set piece like that and allow them space to get a clean play on the ball.

Looked like Jozy might've been the guilty party; Guzan was yelling at him afterward.

Looked like Jozy might've been the guilty party; Guzan was yelling at him afterward.

I believe this is correct. Frustrating, he has the size and physicality to own that ball in the air. All he had to do was be there.

Hell even I could have laid the ball off to my teammate with a clear 7 foot shot on goal. Not the captain though. Captain Brainfart dating back to his World Cup blackouts.

Unreal how badly he continues to struggle in all facets on the pitch.

He was great in his prime and deserves to be put out to pasture on the national stage while he has a pubic hairs worth of respect left.

Mexico is quite good.

Herrera, Layun, Tecatito, Chicharito, Guardado all play for Champions League clubs. Gio Dos Santos dominating in MLS. And they have quite a few prospects.

USA better get its act together or complete Mexico domination will come.

Mexico is quite good.

Herrera, Layun, Tecatito, Chicharito, Guardado all play for Champions League clubs. Gio Dos Santos dominating in MLS. And they have quite a few prospects.

USA better get its act together or complete Mexico domination will come.

I agree. What's kind of interesting is that Mexican fans this summer were railing about the Porto and PSV guys as being soft because although they play a handful of champions league games, they also only play a handful of other competitive games throughout the season (i.e., Ajax, Feyenoord, AZ, Sporting, Benfica, Braga).

Meanwhile, all Klinsi ever harped about was players playing in the Champions League. Makes me wonder which philosophy is better?

I didnt get to see the game last night, but watched some of it this morning. I don't recall a time when collectively the two teams had so many players contributing at such a high level. I think the next generation of US soccer is going to make a jump in terms of attacking talent, but there doesnt seem to be much in terms of who will be the engine in coming years.

Last thought, it makes me sad to see Stu Holden calling the games. He is the hybrid 8/10 that really would have been an asset for this team. I rate Kljestan and Nagbe (he made his own bed though) higher than Klinsi, but they dont have the bite to their games that Stu did.

Cruel ending result, but felt much better with how they played in the second half. Too bad we started out in that formation because no one appeared comfortable in it.

I hate Klinsman so much I wouldn't be that upset is the USMNT missed the world cup if it meant Klinsman gets fired

I hate Klinsman so much I wouldn't be that upset is the USMNT missed the world cup if it meant Klinsman gets fired
The bottom line ( regardless of wether you like JK or not) is that He was given the job 6 years ago to improve the US national team. Looking at the results from the last couple of years show he has clearly failed.

The bottom line ( regardless of wether you like JK or not) is that He was given the job 6 years ago to improve the US national team. Looking at the results from the last couple of years show he has clearly failed.

You and I can agree to disagree on this. I actually think he did a nice job improvising when Altidore went down in the World Cup and I was very pleased with how we did in Cop America. And I have not minded all the experimenting in Friendlies.

However, the Mexico game was, as you put it, an epic fail.

It was a tactical disaster. Why he thought we could play a 3-5-2, I do not know. Yeah, Bradley plays it periodically for Toronto FC...

When Conte went with a 3-5-2, his 3 centerbacks were all teammates on Juventus (as was Buffon), know each other like the back of their hands and Barzagli and Bonucci are world-class defenders.

And there was also the issue that Jones and Bradley have a tough time playing together if one has to be the six...as well as the fact that Bradley is much better in the passing lanes than he is as a 1 v 1 defender...

Thank God Guardado got hurt. Otherwise, it could have gotten really ugly...

The good news is that we can play with what is a good Mexican team as long as we are properly aligned. Altidore and Woods play really well together and Pulisic is impressive...

The bad news is that we are now really behind the eight-ball when it comes to qualifying for 2018.

As important as this game was, the fact that he blundered so badly with the formation shows his tactical limitations. They are severe. And the fact the players had to tell him to switch up the formation...Brutal.

We are going to qualify for WC 2018. Our 3 toughest games are @Mexico, @Costa Rica, Mexico at home. 2 of the 3 will be done after tomorrow. We really need to try and scrap a draw in San Jose.

We only need to finish top 3 to make the WC and if we finish 4th then its a playoff against Asia. Asia really only goes 3 deep in Japan, Australia, and South Korea. We should be able to beat the 5th place Asia home/home.

Our problem is talent. We are a midmajor college basketball team terms of talent. We have young studs in Pulisic, Cameron-Vickers but we need more players on Champions League teams. Wood is solid for CONCACAF but not world class.
Johnson plays in the CL and guess what he was one of our best players last Friday. Klinsmann has been mining Germany for us. I bet we come out in the 4-4-2 tomorrow. Someone else will start in the Jones spot as he can't play twice at his age in that spot. We really need Michael Bradley to get it together. He melts down whenever he is pressed and makes 2-3 bad turnovers every match.

Julian Green should start tomorrow.

A few points from an unabashed Klinsmann hater... I can't stand the guy and think he is an A$$clown who shares a lot of similarities with the man A$$clown about to take the role of POTUS in January. Luckily Klinsmann is only in charge of soccer so I could care less these days. So here goes:
- Everyone needs to stop overreacting to losing to Mexico in Columbus... who gives a about dos a cero, yes it's a cool bragging line but those types of streaks are meant to be broken. Remember Klinsie has managed to get points in Mexico which we almost never ever do. I wouldn't be shocked if we got points against Costa Rica tomorrow night.
- As someone pointed out earlier... we will qualify. All the other teams have to play Mexico and Costa Rica also it's just our margin or error is a bit slimmer.
- I was actually pretty happy with the outcome of the game. We outplayed Mexico in the second half and guess what this is soccer... happens.
- Now the downside... I have never ever seen a US team so unprepared for a game as that first half. Mexico basically bypassed our midfield at will and we were really lucky to not be behind even more. The fact that Jones and Bradley had to beg Klinsie to change the formation is grounds for firing right there
- Lets talk about Bradley and Jones for a sec... Bradley has aged in dog years since playing for Toronto, he should not be an automatic starter anymore but I don't think we have the time to find someone new given every game counts now. Jones still has his athleticism but he is a walking red card waiting to happen. We can't rely on him anymore. The problem is Klinsie will... if they are available to play they will. Get used to it.
- The decision to play Besler in a back three against a fluid fast time was interesting to say the least. When we moved to a back 4 he was even worse as a left back with Pulisic in front of him. But that bed was made when we started with a back three.
- Not sold on Chandler but he improved a ton once we moved to a back 4 as all of the D did.
- Our front 3 is solid and the best I've seen from the US in a LONG time. We need to move to a 4-3-3 to maximize Pulsic's value but not sure how to do that without sacrificing D.
- I never thought I would say this but we were really hurt by not having Zardes. Put him in here in the middle three and he protects the midfield from a more advanced spot. I think he needs to replace one of Jones/Bradley.
- For god sakes don't hope that we don't qualify for the World Cup because it gets Klinsie fired. No matter what Klinsie is done after the world cup... lets just get there first so we can enjoy it.

My preferred line up:
Altidore Wood

Pulisic Kljestan Zardes

Bradley or Jones

Fab Belser/Cameron Brooks Chandler

The problem with this line up is the Bradley/Jones dilemma and whether Bardes and Kljestan could do enough defensive work so the midfield doesn't get overloaded. We would really have to commit to the high press. But I think this is what gets us our best players on the field.

I don't get why Jermaine Jones is on the field. He is old and injured. We need more from the midfield.
Also can Michael Bradley make one pass under pressure. He is awful.

He has toughness. Nobody on the roster other than Kyle Beckerman can be a midfield enforcer. Unfortunately, he's too old, has lost some pace and is too careless in possession. Bradley can also be eased out. But Jurgen's got to trust the guys in MSL who are playing well, and not insist on playing them out of position so damn much.

We are going to qualify for WC 2018. Our 3 toughest games are @Mexico, @Costa Rica, Mexico at home. 2 of the 3 will be done after tomorrow. We really need to try and scrap a draw in San Jose.

We only need to finish top 3 to make the WC and if we finish 4th then its a playoff against Asia. Asia really only goes 3 deep in Japan, Australia, and South Korea. We should be able to beat the 5th place Asia home/home.

Our problem is talent. We are a midmajor college basketball team terms of talent. We have young studs in Pulisic, Cameron-Vickers but we need more players on Champions League teams. Wood is solid for CONCACAF but not world class.
Johnson plays in the CL and guess what he was one of our best players last Friday. Klinsmann has been mining Germany for us. I bet we come out in the 4-4-2 tomorrow. Someone else will start in the Jones spot as he can't play twice at his age in that spot. We really need Michael Bradley to get it together. He melts down whenever he is pressed and makes 2-3 bad turnovers every match.

Julian Green should start tomorrow.

I generally agree with this. We are a mid-major, or the equivalent of a AAA baseball team. The biggest problem I see with the national team is that we are too impatient in possession and not skilled enough on the ball, especially in mid-field. You don't always need to play the ball forward. Sometimes you have to hold on to it for a bit, let your defense rest, and make the other guys chase you around.

We should play 4-4-2 as our base, and we should try to keep the backline consistent, which Jurgen finally seems to have figured out. My problem with him is he seems too fickle and freezes guys out of consideration for it seems like years at a time. Somebody like Sacha Kleijsten of the Red Bulls would look good in our midfield. Some of these young guys who impress at first but then suffer a let down shouldn't be forgotten about for the next 2 or 3 years. You have to cultivate players. You can't expect them to be immediately good, or discard them. Especially not when they are in their teens or early 20s.

One thing I would add is that I don't see it as the be-all, end-all that we have guys on Champions League teams, where they are likely to sit the bench. I would rather have somebody playing on a Europa League team like Sevilla or Brugge or Anderlecht or teams like that - mid-level teams in quality leagues, which I include Belgium, Holland and France, not just the Big Four leagues.

- Our front 3 is solid and the best I've seen from the US in a LONG time. We need to move to a 4-3-3 to maximize Pulsic's value but not sure how to do that without sacrificing D.
- I never thought I would say this but we were really hurt by not having Zardes. Put him in here in the middle three and he protects the midfield from a more advanced spot. I think he needs to replace one of Jones/Bradley.

My preferred line up:
Altidore Wood

Pulisic Kljestan Zardes

Bradley or Jones

Fab Belser/Cameron Brooks Chandler

The problem with this line up is the Bradley/Jones dilemma and whether Zardes and Kljestan could do enough defensive work so the midfield doesn't get overloaded. We would really have to commit to the high press. But I think this is what gets us our best players on the field.

I think the problem with a 4-3-3 with our personnel is that our defense is not strong enough, we lack a midfield enforcer, and I believe we would be over-run in midfield. It would suit our attack well, but your midfield is too offense oriented and would get killed, exposing the back 4.

What I'd like to see tonight based on injuries and call-ups

Hybrid 4-3-3 in the attack falling into a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 on defense depending on how much work you want Wood doing.

Chandler has been inform and I didn't like Yedlin when he came on vs. Mexico, albeit at wing. Omar scares me lately with the nats; but Jurgen won't play a left footed center back on the right so it will be Omar.

Jones can cover ground and would shade out wide a bit and allow wood to pinch in as more of a striker. Pulisic playing where he plays for club and attacking from the flank. This also gets Kjlestan in the game for some creativity instead of an outside mid like Bedoya.

The triangle of Kjlestan, Pulisic, and Johnson could be dangerous.

Chandler-Besler-Brooks-Johnson
---------------Bradley
------Jones -------Kjlestan
------------------------------Pulisic
--------Wood--Altidore-----

Last edited:
What's with the 9:00 P.M. start?
Home team controls everything for WCQ. You play whenever they want. Costa Rica wants to play at 9pm.

No television?? Thought I could have a seamless transition from the basketball game. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.