USMNT soccer team thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost because the team quit but it was obvious. We can't compete in Costa Rica.
New coach hopefully can turn it around. With that said our midfield is putrid and was a dumpster fire bad.
Disgusting performance.
Omar Gonzalez was awful.
Michael Bradley is Trevor Cooney for the MNT.

Just when you think things can't get any worse... they do.

Not sure what just happened. I've never seen such a poor performance from a us team. There was zero resistance.

Not sure where you go from her... Klinsmann needs to go but how bad was everyone but pulisic, wood and altidore. Not sure I trust those guys ever again it was that bad. Brooks and Gonzalez played the worst I have ever seen two CBs play. Tons of blame on Klinsie here as the pair struggled against Mexico. Back 4 should have been Chandler, Brooks, Besler, Fab. Midfield of Jones and Bradley looks old and tired.

Hard to watch, Brooks and company looked like the Keystone Cops in the second half. Bradley and Jones are washed up. Klinsmann has wore out his welcome and then some.

Klinsmann
th

Sent an email to Sunil Gulati, the USSF President. To my surprise he actually responded.

I don't watch the WCQs because I shouldnt have to.

are you folks telling me I now have to??

just What is going on there???...

I don't watch the WCQs because I shouldnt have to.

are you folks telling me I now have to??

just What is going on there???...
We're in a hole... but not an insurmountable one. I'm still 80% sure that we will qualify because we are better than most of the teams we'll play.

What's happening here is that our system is extremely dependent on two players to work: Bradley and Jones. Jones has played one full game in the last year because he's been out with injuries for most of it so our brilliant head coach decided he should start him on short rest two games in a row. Bradley has aged in dog years since he came back from Europe and is not capable of controlling games anymore. Unfortunately our coach failed to recognize either of these factors.

The other thing that happened was basically bad decisions from our head coach... he basically did the equivalent of JB running out a M2M D in the first round of the NCAAs against Mexico. It got so bad the players had to tell him to switch it. We actually played fairly well agains Mexico and should have gotten at least a point. Against Costa Rica his big mistake was starting Bradley and Jones on short rest. He needed someone who could better control the midfield.

Bradley should be dropped. The fact we have no midfield options just sucks.
I think missing Geoff Cameron was huge. Him and Brooks worked well together. I am fine with Johnson and Chandler at the LB and RB.

We have an awful MF. Pulisic is fine but we have no 6 or 7. Bradley took MLS money and now isn't the same. We need to replace Bradley and Jones. AtleasTo with Jones it is Father Time and not performance.
Altidore and Wood are fine. I hope Yedlin gets some work in the MF at Newcastle.

We are better than Panama/T&T/Honduras. We should be okay. Even if we finish 4th I like our chances against the 5th Asia team. If we had to play the 6th South American team I would be worried but Asia and New Zealand aren't as hard.

We are better than Panama/T&T/Honduras. We should be okay. Even if we finish 4th I like our chances against the 5th Asia team. If we had to play the 6th South American team I would be worried but Asia and New Zealand aren't as hard.
will this screw up our actual WC seed? being that we will be say #4, does that mean that we are bound to have 2 of the top teams in our group?

and maybe a 3rd?

will this screw up our actual WC seed? being that we will be say #4, does that mean that we are bound to have 2 of the top teams in our group?

and maybe a 3rd?
No, WC draw is done pretty straightforward.
Top 7 teams + host nation are seeded in one pot. 8(Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Spain type teams)
8 other European teams in pot 2.
8 teams from Asia/CONCACAF in pot 3.
8 teams from South America/Africa in pot 4.

The CONCACAF is hoping for 2018 they get switched with Africa and get grouped with S. America because of how well they did in 2014 but we shall see.

It won't matter how we qualify for the group we get in because the USA is never going to be seeded unless we host or develop insane Belgium like talent.

Grant Wahl saying 70-80% chance Jurgen gets sacked according to sources inside USSF. FWIW

Grant Wahl saying 70-80% chance Jurgen gets sacked according to sources inside USSF. FWIW

Any talk on leading candidates for replacement?

Any talk on leading candidates for replacement?

Most are mentioning Bruce Arena, and he hinted at that, to get the team through the WCQ cycle. His contract is up with the Galaxy one month from now.

If you want to hear his comments he (Wahl) posted a video talking about the situation on his FB page.

Most are mentioning Bruce Arena, and he hinted at that, to get the team through the WCQ cycle. His contract is up with the Galaxy one month from now.

If you want to hear his comments he posted a video talking about the situation on his FB page.

A retread but a known commodity. I suppose this may be safest/best route.

A retread but a known commodity. I suppose this may be safest/best route.

Yea, I would take him over what we have been seeing from this team/Jurgen. It would be decent stop-gap until we can find a permanent successor. He knows the MLS pool well, and the ins and outs of CONCACAF

TFC fan here. Bradley and Altidore have been killing it for TFC. Not sure what is going on with USMNT.

TFC fan here. Bradley and Altidore have been killing it for TFC. Not sure what is going on with USMNT.

I've been following TFC during the playoffs. Been playing well. Every one of our players is playing better for their club. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Another note, Galaxy assistant just resigned. Related to Arena to Nats? Probably not but who knows.

Soccer - Los Angeles Times

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.