USMNT soccer team thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea definitely seemed a bit premature to announce that ahead of both of these friendlies.

After Guzan blew it in the Gold Cup semifinals, these 3 games are his chance to cement his position as the #1. Klinsmann has to manage for the future. Howard will be 40 in 2018. That's pushing it.

We could have been a round of 8 team if Jurgy didn't let his ego get in the way in 2014 w/ Landycakes.

In Jurgen's defense, when Landon left the team (and the Galaxy), it was not discussed in advance like Tim Howard did. Landon just went AWOL and it was during a tough stretch of World Cup qualifying. He simply bailed on his teammates and couldn't say when - or if - he was coming back. That's too self-centered to be the main man on the team.

After Guzan blew it in the Gold Cup semifinals, these 3 games are his chance to cement his position as the #1. Klinsmann has to manage for the future. Howard will be 40 in 2018. That's pushing it.
GKs can play at a high level till 40. I think Klinsmann is rewarding Guzan for giving up his summer while Howard was relaxing. I think both guys will play a half of each game or each will get 1 game. I wish Klinsmann wouldn't just give Guzan the #1 job automatically. Howard struggled against Watford for Everton but he played really against Tottenham. Whomever is in better form should be starting the Mexico game.
GK is the one position I am not worried about at the USMNT. We will have depth there in our talent pool.
Guzan played well against in WCQ in 2013 when Howard was injured. One of those games was the Snow Bowl vs. Costa Rica and the other was a nil-nil game in Mexico.
I will say our back 4 struggled in the Gold Cup and Guzan didn't communicate that well with them I hope that improvess in these friendlies.

GKs can play at a high level till 40. I think Klinsmann is rewarding Guzan for giving up his summer while Howard was relaxing. I think both guys will play a half of each game or each will get 1 game. I wish Klinsmann wouldn't just give Guzan the #1 job automatically. Howard struggled against Watford for Everton but he played really against Tottenham. Whomever is in better form should be starting the Mexico game.
GK is the one position I am not worried about at the USMNT. We will have depth there in our talent pool.
Guzan played well against in WCQ in 2013 when Howard was injured. One of those games was the Snow Bowl vs. Costa Rica and the other was a nil-nil game in Mexico.
I will say our back 4 struggled in the Gold Cup and Guzan didn't communicate that well with them I hope that improvess in these friendlies.

I think that Guzan starts through Mexico in October, every game. Unless we lose to Mexico, Guzan will remain number 1. That's just how Klinsmann rolls.

Zoff was 40 in 82...

2-1 win for the USA over Peru in DC. Peru was a good team to play and they made us earn the win after failing down 1-0. Jozy had two goals and I thought Guzan after giving up a softer goal played well in the 2nd half.
On to Brazil.

USA has only beaten Brazil 1 time. I would love to get a win tonight. I figure Howard/Bradley will be in the lineup tonight.

4-2-3-1 , don't like the CB pairing but let's see what happens.

4-2-3-1 , don't like the CB pairing but let's see what happens.
I am not a fan of this lineup but apparently Brooks wasn't available tonight. If we hold Brazil under 3 goals I will be happy with lineup. It is BS no Howard starting after Guzan played 90 vs. Peru.
COayHjRWUAAgZIO.png

Very frustrating performance thus far after the Cameron penalty and Neymar finish has made it 2-0.
Willian and Douglas Costa just toyed with us in the first half. Now Neymar is.
The USA really lacks premiere talent in these contests. It is frustrating how little we are seeing the ball.

Very frustrating performance thus far after the Cameron penalty and Neymar finish has made it 2-0.
Willian and Douglas Costa just toyed with us in the first half. Now Neymar is.
The USA really lacks premiere talent in these contests. It is frustrating how little we are seeing the ball.

Embarassing... Not the way to play you last match before Mexico. What is Jurgen thinking with that back line,.

Embarassing... Not the way to play you last match before Mexico. What is Jurgen thinking with that back line,.
Our talent is just outclassed by Brazil's. Unbelievable how predictable we are. If Neymar, Douglas Costa, Willian on the pitch together they would house us more.
Zelaham please develop.

Our talent is just outclassed by Brazil's. Unbelievable how predictable we are. If Neymar, Douglas Costa, Willian on the pitch together they would house us more.
Zelaham please develop.

I don't care how out classed we are. We can put together a much better performance than this.

Our back 4 and Bedoya were all awful. Jones appears to be to old.
I don't know who will be in the Starting XI against Mexico.
Guzan vs. Howard I mean get over Howard talking a year off Jurgen. He is 37 and flying across the pond every window isn't right for him. Howard is better than Guzan at helping the D stay in shape.

Why play Bedoya at holding midfield? It just makes no sense.

@landondonovan: Bedoya played completely out of position and then gets subbed before halftime. Pretty harsh on him unless he's injured. #USAvBRA

I've been a big Klinnsman supporter but he's starting to lose my support. I think it's time for a change. Don't have a good feeling about the match in October. We aren't prepared.

I've been a big Klinnsman supporter but he's starting to lose my support. I think it's time for a change. Don't have a good feeling about the match in October. We aren't prepared.

He's still the right coach. Bring in somebody else and the US will go back to being a defensively oriented side. Klinsmann needs to settle on a back four and he needs to play people more consistently in the same roles. Remember, this is a team that beat Germany and the Netherlands not too long ago, with Brad Guzan and not Tim Howard in goal.

He's still the right coach. Bring in somebody else and the US will go back to being a defensively oriented side. Klinsmann needs to settle on a back four and he needs to play people more consistently in the same roles. Remember, this is a team that beat Germany and the Netherlands not too long ago, with Brad Guzan and not Tim Howard in goal.

Netherlands is on a huge downward spiral right now. Let's see how we play against Mexico next month. Just don't have a good feeling.

Netherlands is on a huge downward spiral right now. Let's see how we play against Mexico next month. Just don't have a good feeling.

Right now, the center backs have to be Besler and Alvarado for the Mexico match. Just get that right. I think he also has to play 2 up top, or else our lone striker gets isolated. So it's gotta be a 4-4-2, and I would use Beckerman in the anchor spot in front of the back two. Play Deuce and the kid from Stanford up top, Zardes and Yedlin on the wings, Bradley in the hole. I would return Howard to the goal. Guzan should have done better on that first goal against Brazil, and he has been poor at organizing the young guys in the back line.

Right now, the center backs have to be Besler and Alvarado for the Mexico match. Just get that right. I think he also has to play 2 up top, or else our lone striker gets isolated. So it's gotta be a 4-4-2, and I would use Beckerman in the anchor spot in front of the back two. Play Deuce and the kid from Stanford up top, Zardes and Yedlin on the wings, Bradley in the hole. I would return Howard to the goal. Guzan should have done better on that first goal against Brazil, and he has been poor at organizing the young guys in the back line.

The problem is Jurgen has already said he won't start Howard vs Mexico.. Which is stupid.

I agree Besler needs be starting, but I'm not sold on Alvarado. I would rather see Geoff Cameron next to Besler. Those two are 5-1-1 when starting at CB.

Hopefully Clint and FJ are healthy.

Idk if it's Bradley or the guys around him, but he just hasn't been cutting it lately in the AM role IMO.

I just want to see some sort of organization against Mexico.

Douglas Costa dominated Geoff Cameron, Willian dominated Tim Ream. THe CBs were bad and Bedoya was a huge hole in front of the back 4.
Obviously Dempsey/Altidore will be the two up front. I love Yedlin's pace. Bradley is starting and Klinsmann loves Zardes.
Guzan gave up a soft goal versus Peru and played badly yesterday. Recalling Howard and having him ride the pine was beyond dumb. He should have played 1 game. Guzan doesn't give me confidence.
Yesterday also showed me Jones is done as a starting USA XI players unless we have injuries in the MF.
Bedoya was out of position so I will give him a break. Danny Williams scored but looked awful on the ball.

Our back 4 is a huge problem right now. Besler/Brooks should be two of those 4 but not sure who the other 2 should be.

We might be better of the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 if Klinsmann wanted to start Johnannson.
Only 3 back but we could clog the MF with two wing backs Zardes and Yedlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.